British Speedway Forum
StevePark

Newcastle vs Edinburgh SGB Championship KO Cup 1st Rnd 1st Leg Sun 17 Apr 5.30pm

11 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

Could you not be a little bit more specific?,,,hope he's not just left in the woods looking for somewhere to rest! 

Might be hide and seek lol

9 hours ago, Wizzer606 said:

No it wouldn't, Morley is a one trick pony and has been for years. He’s hopeless around Brough n all. 

Sad to say, but probably still stronger than Congreve tbh!

6 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Sad to say, but probably still stronger than Congreve tbh!

Possibly at the minute, but never improved in 10 years, Congreve has only been here 10 minutes!!!

At least give him till the end of the month or till the BWD situation is sorted.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Justgotmecpc said:

Pity Harris never put the same effort in yesterday at Newcastle like he has today at Peterborough

some of the 'first division' riders are going through the motions in the second division when you look at the scores, taking the pi** really

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, ch958 said:

some of the 'first division' riders are going through the motions in the second division when you look at the scores, taking the pi** really

It’s just a job to many  , now riding 3or 4 times a week for a good wage.Steering clear of injury is their main priority.

• Like 1

Nathan Stoneman would be a good shout for a replacement for Congreve (if it gets that far)

On the point of visas does anyone know what visa type a speedway rider comes over on? I was heavily involved in a amateur ricket club and we used to have a first class (professional by definition) cricketer come each year.

They came over on a tier 5 visa, though i think this may have been replaced by the international sportsman visa? Anyway a stipulation if that visa being granted is that the player had to be earning at least £200 per week to be deemed an overseas professional. Maybe thats a similar ruling for speedway riders too. So Congreve possibly on that as a minimum regardless of points scored?

He might also be over on youth mobility visa which allows guys from Australia and New Zeaand the chance of a 5 year visa to visit the uk but in that capacity i dont believe they are officially allowed to earn any money. In the case of cricket clubs any fees for a cricketer playing on that visa type are cash in hand

20 minutes ago, ljriley90 said:

On the point of visas does anyone know what visa type a speedway rider comes over on? I was heavily involved in a amateur ricket club and we used to have a first class (professional by definition) cricketer come each year.

The Bendy Leg League?

Did the cricketer come to practice bowling thru the gap? ;)

3 hours ago, ruffdiamond said:

Possibly at the minute, but never improved in 10 years, Congreve has only been here 10 minutes!!!

At least give him till the end of the month or till the BWD situation is sorted.

I would give Congreave more time, seems pointless to fly someone halfway around the world for a handful of matches, but still don't think he'll be as good as Morley!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, phillipsr said:

I disagree but fair play to you!! I dont find it entertaining in the majority and i like watching better riders, for me and others i know weakening the league would mean id likely find others way to spend my money.. 

Both leagues are watered down . Only Doyle a world class rider in the Premiership. The best British rider not riding  in his home league  is a joke . Speedway is not value for money in this hard economic times 

31 minutes ago, bri1966 said:

Both leagues are watered down . Only Doyle a world class rider in the Premiership. The best British rider not riding  in his home league  is a joke . Speedway is not value for money in this hard economic times 

The best three brits not riding in their home league 

13 minutes ago, Racin Jason 72 said:

The best three brits not riding in their home league 

Says more about the league than those riders to be honest 

21 hours ago, phillipsr said:

I disagree but fair play to you!! I dont find it entertaining in the majority and i like watching better riders, for me and others i know weakening the league would mean id likely find others way to spend my money.. 

Honestly

You don't need to weaken the league... go to 6 man teams... reduce the build average to 32 points for the first year you run with the 6 man team until everyone's average is realigned then build to 45 points the following season and going forward from there...

The first year you run with the 6 man teams it should free up around 10/11 riders with averages ranging from 5 to 8.5 which potentially opens up another two team slots in the league should the likes of Eastie Reading Coventry Worky or Bradford fancy a return...

You talk of weakening the product but if all those clubs were to make a dramatic comeback where would the additional riders come from... the pool of riders is what it is at present... you can't weaken that pool any further... instead of double ups go north and south in the second tier and allow triple ups? Where does it end?

Regards 

THJ 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Honestly

You don't need to weaken the league... go to 6 man teams... reduce the build average to 32 points for the first year you run with the 6 man team until everyone's average is realigned then build to 45 points the following season and going forward from there...

The first year you run with the 6 man teams it should free up around 10/11 riders with averages ranging from 5 to 8.5 which potentially opens up another two team slots in the league should the likes of Eastie Reading Coventry Worky or Bradford fancy a return...

You talk of weakening the product but if all those clubs were to make a dramatic comeback where would the additional riders come from... the pool of riders is what it is at present... you can't weaken that pool any further... instead of double ups go north and south in the second tier and allow triple ups? Where does it end?

Regards 

THJ 

Would that still be a 15 heat format with 6 riders? 

Just now, gazzac said:

1997 was last year ran with 6 riders. 12 programmed heats and 3 nominated as I remember

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gazzac said:

Or.. Keep the current format and allow the Team Manager a bit of tactical options, replacing the 'missing' rider.

• Like 1