British Speedway Forum
StevePark

Newcastle vs Edinburgh SGB Championship KO Cup 1st Rnd 1st Leg Sun 17 Apr 5.30pm

1 minute ago, ch958 said:

they obviously had to operate within a strict budget but the 2nd div is far too strong for the crowds it attracts

subsidising the PL by providing a 2nd income for PL riders.  

the PL promoters are probably terrified that, like the late 70's early 80's, the 2nd tier would be a more sustainable and attractive proposition by creating their own stars by providing opportunities for young British riders on their path to super stardom. All at an affordable cost.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, enotian said:

setting a points limit in excess of the total combined average of riders available.  Meaning there are teams starting the season under the points limit.  Not just the Diamonds.

Although admittedly the Diamonds promoters have displayed a total lack of talent in this area.

Running Sunday reduces their capabilty to attract Div 2 HL level riders massively, as that level of rider is in demand in Poland's Div 2 and 3. 

Or, already all snapped up by the other clubs in their league....

HL level riders won't want to sign for a Sunday track when they can still get "big money" meetings in Poland as the season over there progresses and spaces come avaialble, and they know Poland won't touch them if they had to miss meetings due to prior engagements..

(Unless of course your UK club takes a few quid to let you miss an official UK meeting to ride over there) Cough! Cough!:rolleyes:

They should have gone NDL if Sunday was their only raceday option...

27 minutes ago, Diamonds85 said:

Joke and an embarrassment... Glad I couldn't make it this week, and I think I'll not bother next week now either, not until our entertainment is taken seriously... And that is not just a dig at Granty, but a dig at the monkeys who run the sport as a whole... Been going to Newcastle since a was a little kid, but not anymore, not until the sport is taken seriously for ALL clubs again, joke. Sorry but goodbye for now Newcastle, best of luck. Money is too tight for me now to be 'wasting' it on the garbage we call speedway these days. Thank you so much to all the riders who have entertained me over the years, and that includes this years six brave men, who have been thrown into the deep end without any leaders... Hope to be back soon, once everything is sorted once and for all (by either Rob or the leaders of the sport, I won't hold my breath), but I fear for the club and I fear for the whole sport eventually...

I hear what your saying but if fans stop turning up each week the team will never get better,catch 22 situation get a good team hope fans turn up each week,poor team wait untill crowds get better.look at my comets team of 1980 i know along time ago but myself and others turned up week after week its my team good or bad support through thick and thin get yourself there next week i will be come say hi look for good looking guy with comets prog board :t:

1 minute ago, mikebv said:

(Unless of course your UK club takes a few quid to let you miss an official UK meeting to ride over there) Cough! Cough!:rolleyes:

They should have gone NDL if Sunday was their only raceday option...

As if that would ever happen.... ahem.

I don't think there are enough fixtures in the NDL for the Diamonds to contemplate it unless a different deal with the landlords can be brokered even then why bother with all the other fixed costs for so few meetings,  And you can't increase the NDL meetings because it's mostly 2nd teams who only have limited fixture slots available.

Also I don't think the public of Newcastle would support 3rd tier speedway.  The first incarnation of the Gems were a decent side (Lawson, Robertson the Branney's) but hardly anyone stayed to watch even though they'd already paid.

As I've posted elsewhere the 3 tier system doesn't work anymore thats clear by virtue of their only being 2 stand alone teams and no graduates from 2021 NDL in the 2022 CL.

The 2nd tier obviously needs to be reduced in standard so that it is predominantly UK based riders and a career path for young British riders to develop.  There was no 3rd tier in the 60's and 70's and there was no shortage of British talent becoming world stars.  It's obviously a massively different environment now but all the evidence is their that 3 tiers don't work and the CL is unsustainable for most.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

I hear what your saying but if fans stop turning up each week the team will never get better,catch 22 situation get a good team hope fans turn up each week,poor team wait untill crowds get better.look at my comets team of 1980 i know along time ago but myself and others turned up week after week its my team good or bad support through thick and thin get yourself there next week i will be come say hi look for good looking guy with comets prog board :t:

I know what you're saying too, but I really can't afford to be watching this rubbish every week now. If it was actually entertaining or we stood chance of winning races and meetings, I would find the money and sacrifice other aspects of my life, but as I stand, this is the least important part of my life now (used to be the most) I am just bored of cr@p teams and excuses now... Even at the end of the English era and for decades with the powers that be...

I really hate the prospect of going up to Newcastle (I travel over an hour, Redcar is so much closer for me, but I love Newcastle... Which is slowly fading) just to watch them lose each week and the boring, bland 'don't worry guys, we'll get them next time' excuses every week, is just getting old now... I have a feeling I know who you are... You stand at the very back corner at bend 4, am I correct?

Edited by Diamonds85
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, SharpenRake said:

Someone should have told Chris Harris that guest appearances don't count towards your average. 

Probably on a Guarantee.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Diamonds85 said:

I know what you're saying too, but I really can't afford to be watching this rubbish every week now. If it was actually entertaining or we stood chance of winning something, I would make the money and sacrifice other aspects of my life, but as I stand, this is the least important part of my life now (used to be the most) I am just bored of cr@p teams and excuses now... Even at the end of the English era and for decades with the powers that be...

I really hope the prospect of going up to Newcastle (I travel over an hour, Redcar is so much closer for me, but I love Newcastle... Which is slowly fading) just to watch them lose each week and the boring, bland 'don't worry guys, we'll get them next time' excuses every week, is just getting old now... I have a feeling I know who you are... You stand at the very back corner at bend 4, am I correct?

nail on the head. more and more people are struggling with priorities i.e food or heating even before you get into how to spend whatever disposable income may be left, their are plenty of choices. None better than speedway IMO, when it's good.

appreciate Geoff's comments but records show that his and others devotion to the Comets in the early 80's didn't end well.

1 minute ago, enotian said:

nail on the head. more and more people are struggling with priorities i.e food or heating even before you get into how to spend whatever disposable income may be left, their are plenty of choices. None better than speedway IMO, when it's good.

appreciate Geoff's comments but records show that his and others devotion to the Comets in the early 80's didn't end well.

Speedway is the love of my life (as well as mountain climbing and my cats :D) but I'm falling so out of love with it the last few years... The situation at Newcastle is not helping one bit... Even the meeting I went to at Redcar the other week was bland... And Redcar normally has brilliant racing...

28 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

Yea it's in your blood you have to keep going and watch your team, was hard going 80-81 for the comets but we still turned up, till it closed at the end of 81. 

Get it money is tight for a lot of people, but if you can keep going as I'm afraid this time at Newcastle they won't be a second chance of keeping the diamonds alive, 

• Like 1

I know the diamonds got beat today but you can’t fault the effort by the lads, watching Pickering was value for money on its own but Max’s win over Masters and Pickering was just class, I accept we aren’t going to win many matches but I just like to see speedway at brough and the lads giving their all.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Diamonds85 said:

Clearly the points limit needs reducing, to reduce the 'standard' of riders in this league, but pushing the goal post of rider standard together to allow the standard of the RACING to improve, I would watch 2 newbies racing eachother, as long as it was entertaining and close, passes, who remembers those? It will also allow enough riders for each team to build to the limit... Also, the race format desperately needs looking at. The 6s and 7s should not be racing against the 1s and 5s. The reserves challenging races should be against the other teams second strings at most... George Congreve vs Sam Masters is an insult to the public imo... I can't be the only one to think this, surely?

But these changes are all down to the powers of the sport... Who apparently have nothing to do with the embarrassing state of the sport these days

The race formula has been the same in the history of speedway. hardly to blame for a Poor Newcastle Team.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Neila said:

Yea it's in your blood you have to keep going and watch your team, was hard going 80-81 for the comets but we still turned up, till it closed at the end of 81. 

Get it money is tight for a lot of people, but if you can keep going as I'm afraid this time at Newcastle they won't be a second chance of keeping the diamonds alive, 

Money is very tight for everyone now and I travel from Ripon every week. So 140 miles worth of fuel for me and sometimes the missus to come in... It's getting on for £75 a week, including food, programmes etc... Doesn't help that my car drinks fuel lol... That'll be my next sacrifice probably...

Anyway if there's 4 meetings a month that's £300ish just for the speedway, my missus currently does not work after being laid off not too long ago and my hours have been drastically reduced since covid.

I know I won't be the only one in this situation, but it's just not affordable for me anymore in my current situation, and being insulted each and every week with the team on display just makes me not want to return... This is my reasoning, 2 more fans gone for now... Until things get better... That's most the crowd!!

1 minute ago, Fromafar said:

The race formula has been the same in the history of speedway. hardly to blame for a Poor Newcastle Team.

not exactly true but I do agree that it's not the format to blame but maybe it requires some further team building restrictions when there's not enough no1's to go around.

2 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

But has there ever been a time where the 1s and 7s in the teams are so far apart ability wise? Sam Masters/Craig Cook/Charles Wright vs George Congreve/Henry Atkins/Nathan Ablitt... It's not a league, it's an open practice... As situations change, certain things need looking at, this includes the race format, stop living in the past!!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Diamonds85 said:

Clearly the points limit needs reducing, to reduce the 'standard' of riders in this league, but pushing the goal post of rider standard together to allow the standard of the RACING to improve, I would watch 2 newbies racing eachother, as long as it was entertaining and close, passes, who remembers those? It will also allow enough riders for each team to build to the limit... Also, the race format desperately needs looking at. The 6s and 7s should not be racing against the 1s and 5s. The reserves challenging races should be against the other teams second strings at most... George Congreve vs Sam Masters is an insult to the public imo... I can't be the only one to think this, surely?

But these changes are all down to the powers of the sport... Who apparently have nothing to do with the embarrassing state of the sport these days

To be fair it's been like this for years and years, for example look at last season Palin was thrown in at the very deep end and he coped pretty much fine on the whole even beating Bewley at BV who's brilliant around there. If the reserves are good enough they'll cope whereas ours aren't and that's the main problem. 

It's a simple fact for riders to progress and get better they need to be riding against higher standard riders.

• Like 2