British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Oxford v Poole 20/4/22

Yessssssssssssss 

The Pirates did the bizzo and Turnip made the Twitter vlog in the pits at Cowley :D.....see Steve's link above :t:

Very close to my prediction of 49-41 but hey at one point it looked like the meeting was gonna turn out differently so 48-42 & 3points .......well done lads :t:

Great to see Oxford back on track & to see it being fantastically supported.

#piratepride

1 hour ago, Bandit59 said:

What a cock up before heat 14 

As I understand it there was some dispute over stonemans rides & with all the changes & rechanges with the reserves I can see that some confussion could happen. But he did take his 3 rides as required so eventually it got sorted & apologies were made over the tannoy.

But all in all a good event some close racing I'm sure the track will bed in & the dust will go away. well done to Poole I had a slightly bigger margin I think Ruml & newmans scores were a step in the right direction If Heeps can make the same improvment I believe the Cheetahs can do well this season

Enjoyed the meeting however if I had one teeny, tiny criticism it would be the lack of info on delays. The red lights was on a couple of times when riders were at the tapes & no info was forthcoming from the com box or presenter (until the the 2mins went back on) Think Oxford will do okay going forward. 

Edited by hyabb17

Some constructive criticism.

Just got back and first thing to do was jump into shower to get the dust off. Terrible. Billowing clouds of dust covering everyone on the 3rd and 4th bends is not good.  Track might have been watered all afternoon but far too dry and the water bowser thingy needed to be double the capacity size to flood the track. 

Arrived at the Unipart car park and it was just a 5 minute stroll to the stadium. All very easy. Crowd was good, at limited capacity. Plenty of room for a 1000 more on the bends. Lots of space.

The track seems a decent shape but outside line really not working at all.  A massive advantage off gates 1 and 3 with four a dead duck. Speaker system far too loud. Had to shout for the person next to me to hear. Ears are ringing. Also, hearing the same awful techno/synth Kraftwork type music before every heat was grating. Please vary it. 

The promotion also gad the opportunity to bring in a modern, younger centre green announcer. But they got Peter York. Who announced Nicholls and Batchelor as Coventry riders. And he really didn’t work to get the crowd going. Heat results were given out as the next heat were at the tapes, and they missed Stonemans ride in heat 11, when he was brought in as reserve swap for Ruml. This led to a delay and issue in heat 14 when the ref thought Stoneman had only taken 2 rides and needed to be on track instead of reserve switch Ruml.

Sound like a big old moan? No not at all. There are bound to be teething problems and certainly things need to be improved upon. 

As for the meeting, Pirates dug very deep when it looked like Oxford could it, having 1 and 3 in heats 13 and 15. Some good hard riding from our heat leaders and much better performances from the Cooks, helped bring home the victory. Kemp fell in two of his rides but did the business in heat 14 to secure the victory. Ablitt also got into the points beating his counterpart Stoneman. 

Good luck to Oxford for the rest of the season. Think they will be a force at home once they have got the track right. Not many will come away with points.

• Like 4

Yep the dust was a major problem last night and I think the only thing Peter York got right was when he mentioned he couldn't be sure who finished where in one race coz he cudn't see (for the dust).

But Leicester also had this issue last Saturday. No reason for dust in the evening's and that's since speedway started. Oxford need to invest in a bigger water truck like Belle Vue's in the future.

I'd rather have wet shale flung at me, to clarify....that is not a fetish may I add! :lol:

Peter York needs to subscribe to BSN & all armchair speedway!

I didn't mind the loud pumping music, for me it's all part of a big booming entertainment package, Fanfare for the Common Man was great but then sum nonsense added on! 

Overall it was great to see Oxford back, to see crowds back & more in the future according to the programme. Yep more cud get in.

Sum gripes are no different to most other venues from time to time & some are 'u can't please everyone'.

3rd bend was pure Piracy!

:D

Edited by Turnip

Oxford did well really to get 42 with Nicholls having an off night and their number seven unavailable. 

8 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Some constructive criticism.

Just got back and first thing to do was jump into shower to get the dust off. Terrible. Billowing clouds of dust covering everyone on the 3rd and 4th bends is not good.  Track might have been watered all afternoon but far too dry and the water bowser thingy needed to be double the capacity size to flood the track. 

Arrived at the Unipart car park and it was just a 5 minute stroll to the stadium. All very easy. Crowd was good, at limited capacity. Plenty of room for a 1000 more on the bends. Lots of space.

The track seems a decent shape but outside line really not working at all.  A massive advantage off gates 1 and 3 with four a dead duck. Speaker system far too loud. Had to shout for the person next to me to hear. Ears are ringing. Also, hearing the same awful techno/synth Kraftwork type music before every heat was grating. Please vary it. 

The promotion also gad the opportunity to bring in a modern, younger centre green announcer. But they got Peter York. Who announced Nicholls and Batchelor as Coventry riders. And he really didn’t work to get the crowd going. Heat results were given out as the next heat were at the tapes, and they missed Stonemans ride in heat 11, when he was brought in as reserve swap for Ruml. This led to a delay and issue in heat 14 when the ref thought Stoneman had only taken 2 rides and needed to be on track instead of reserve switch Ruml.

Sound like a big old moan? No not at all. There are bound to be teething problems and certainly things need to be improved upon. 

As for the meeting, Pirates dug very deep when it looked like Oxford could it, having 1 and 3 in heats 13 and 15. Some good hard riding from our heat leaders and much better performances from the Cooks, helped bring home the victory. Kemp fell in two of his rides but did the business in heat 14 to secure the victory. Ablitt also got into the points beating his counterpart Stoneman. 

Good luck to Oxford for the rest of the season. Think they will be a force at home once they have got the track right. Not many will come away with points.

Whilst I see the point you’re making with the dust I would give them some grace as it’s only the second meeting on the track. It’ll take a while to bed in. They did dump plenty of water on it, could argue not enough but I think you have to give them some leeway with that. 

Edited by hyabb17

I did say constructive criticism. Many in that crowd might not be back. Plastered in billowing dust. 

2 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

I did say constructive criticism. Many in that crowd might not be back. Plastered in billowing dust. 

Poole fan moaning about dust.......oh the irony.

25 minutes ago, Trackrat said:

No dust at Poole these days matey. :t:B)

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Trackrat said:

I knew you would be pleased with our fantastic result! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, lisa-colette said:

No dust at Poole these days matey. :t:B)

You said that last year yet it turns out Pooles track was so bad the SCB had to step in…. Not sure you opinion on track surfaces should be taken as anything other than rubbish 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, keepturningleft said:

Was the tractor on the centre green still impeding the view?

Yes a pain. Needs to be moved off track along with water tractor.

Edited by Steve Shovlar

1 hour ago, Trackrat said:

No dust at Poole these days matey :nono: