British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Oxford v Poole 20/4/22

1 hour ago, foreverblue said:

I knew you would be pleased with our fantastic result! 

He's looking forward to celebrating more trophys with us pirates :party:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Arthur54 said:

No dust at Poole these days matey :nono:

Hard to get dust off of concrete bumps to be fair 

10 minutes ago, phillipsr said:

You said that last year yet it turns out Pooles track was so bad the SCB had to step in…. Not sure you opinion on track surfaces should be taken as anything other than rubbish 

Come on down and see for yourself, like a billiard table now 

I enjoyed my first visit to Oxford in the new era. Nice to see a good crowd. The track wasn’t at its best but Poole still deservedly won.

Peter York didn’t seem to have a clue what was going on. Interviewed Josh Macdonald thinking it was Cameron Heeps, announced Batchelor and Nicholls as the ‘Coventry’ pairing. The ref and the announcer also seemed to be unaware who was in some of the races when changes were made.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WembleyLion said:

.....Peter York didn’t seem to have a clue what was going on.....

Nothing new there then.

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, foreverblue said:

I knew you would be pleased with our fantastic result! 

Fantastic result.....Scraping a Win against half a new untried team on a new track.

17 minutes ago, WembleyLion said:

I enjoyed my first visit to Oxford in the new era. Nice to see a good crowd. The track wasn’t at its best but Poole still deservedly won.

Peter York didn’t seem to have a clue what was going on. Interviewed Josh Macdonald thinking it was Cameron Heeps, announced Batchelor and Nicholls as the ‘Coventry’ pairing. The ref and the announcer also seemed to be unaware who was in some of the races when changes were made.

It is a shame that the new promotion didn’t advertise for a younger, new to the game but full of enthusiasm presenter. Peter York did his best, but times have moved on and the club has the opportunity for a fresher approach. It doesn’t matter if a new announcer is new to the sport as long as he is enthusiastic and gets the crowd roaring, something Peter York failed to do. No disrespect meant in his direction but his time has gone. Announcing Batchelor and Nicholls as the Coventry pairing was shameful. Not realising Stoneman was in heat 11 was another failure. The ref clearly was not informed from the pits that a reserve swap had been made but I could see it when he came out. Just led to confusion and a delay in heat 14 as the ref thought  Stoneman had only taken two rides.

Perhaps a good solution would bring in a support for York. One who handles changes, deals with times and results, plus uses the mic to whip the crowd into life. There were probably 1000 there last night who went for the first time, got covered in dust, didn’t have much of a clue what was going on and saw their team defeated. Will they be back? It would have been good for York to explain the rules of the sport before the meeting started so the newbie understands what is going on. I hope Oxford can maintain crowd levels.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Trackrat said:

Fantastic result.....Scraping a Win against half a new untried team on a new track.

It was a new track for us too, I am sure they have practiced on it more than we had. Any away win is a great result. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, hyabb17 said:

Enjoyed the meeting however if I had one teeny, tiny criticism it would be the lack of info on delays. The red lights was on a couple of times when riders were at the tapes & no info was forthcoming from the com box or presenter (until the the 2mins went back on) Think Oxford will do okay going forward. 

We had the same at Glasgow, three rider at the gate red lights flashing, riders returned to the pits and were immediatley put on two minutes. Race went off with three riders, no information.

11 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Perhaps a good solution would bring in a support for York. One who handles changes, deals with times and results, plus uses the mic to whip the crowd into life.

Just someone to take the mic away from Peter York.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Trackrat said:

A win is a win, 3 more points will do nicely 

9 minutes ago, Arthur54 said:

A win is a win, 3 more points will do nicely 

Hollow victory.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, phillipsr said:

You said that last year yet it turns out Pooles track was so bad the SCB had to step in…. Not sure you opinion on track surfaces should be taken as anything other than rubbish 

That was to do with a hole not dust :blink: and I did criticise that at the time, speedway updates even used my photo. But seeing as I was there and you were not...

Watch the Poole streaming service and see for yourself. All Poole riders say it is good now. Matt Bates from Plymouth said it is smooth as did Ben Barker. B)

1 minute ago, lisa-colette said:

That was to do with a hole not dust :blink: and I did criticise that at the time, speedway updates even used my photo. But seeing as I was there and you were not...

Watch the Poole streaming service and see for yourself. All Poole riders say it is good now. Matt Bates from Plymouth said it is smooth as did Ben Barker. B)

As does all riders who ride it this year 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Trackrat said:

Hollow victory.

Should have been more :icon_smile_clown: