British Speedway Forum
screm

Nigel Pearson RIP

He wasn't entirely my cup of tea for various reasons, but you could never doubt his commitment to speedway. I think commentary, and particularly speedway commentary where there are long gaps to fill, followed by quick bursts of action, is a thankless task and fair play to him for not only stepping up but anchoring the role for a long time.

His passing at just 52 is of course also very sad for all those around him. RIP

• Like 7

On 4/18/2022 at 8:12 AM, Arch Stanton said:

What the hell is hypocritical about not particularly liking his style of commentary whilst he was alive, and also being shocked, saddened and sending genuine condolences about the poor man’s death? 

So if at any time in the past, you’ve commented on here that you’re not a fan of his commentary, you shouldn’t then come on here and send your condolences for the man’s sudden passing because it’s “hypocritical”, or as Diamondboy was implying, some are shedding crocodile tears because obviously they don’t care the man is dead because they’ve been on here criticising his style of commentating in the past? 

What a pathetic and pretty crass point of view. 

100% spot on

Probably one of Nigel's final pieces of work in yesterdays Belle vue  programme,  in the piece Nigel wrote how we must provide better all round entertainment at meetings to encourage a younger audience , get the kids involved with centre green activities , play better music and getting the kids involved in a young supporters club.

A  moment of silence was held and rousing applause with Nigel's  race commentary in the back round. 

Nigel is 'one' of the reasons I don't have much to do with Speedway Presentation anymore and also why I finished at Birmingham so as a bloke I didn't care for him that much. 

Having said that if the opportunity had ever arose and we'd buried the hatchet as per me and Mick Horton, then I'd probably have let bygone's be bygone's as I'm not one to bear a grudge.  And.... being out of speedway has allowed me the time to enjoy other things in life which are far more important like friends and family.

However as a commentator and a family man I have the utmost respect for him and my thoughts are with his friends, co-workers and loved one's at this time.  You can't fault his love for our great sport and speedway will definitely be worse off without his enthusiasm.

RIP Mr Speedway 

5 minutes ago, SpeedwayTShirts said:

Nigel is 'one' of the reasons I don't have much to do with Speedway Presentation anymore and also why I finished at Birmingham so as a bloke I didn't care for him that much. 

Having said that if the opportunity had ever arose and we'd buried the hatchet as per me and Mick Horton, then I'd probably have let bygone's be bygone's as I'm not one to bear a grudge.  And.... being out of speedway has allowed me the time to enjoy other things in life which are far more important like friends and family.

However as a commentator and a family man I have the utmost respect for him and my thoughts are with his friends, co-workers and loved one's at this time.  You can't fault his love for our great sport and speedway will definitely be worse off without his enthusiasm.

RIP Mr Speedway 

Are we supposed to know who you are?

39 minutes ago, iainb said:

Are we supposed to know who you are?

Many do!

3 minutes ago, Midland Red said:

Many do!

I don't... and even though he's nothing to do with Speedway presentation anymore, I haven't missed him at all. Nigel has left a massive hole in Speedway

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Not saying it because he's no longer with us, always loved his commentary. Sky Sports in general had that tendancy to be over the top in their presentation and Nige certainly was of that ilk. As previously said on here, speedway commentary where there are long gaps to fill, followed by quick bursts of action, is a thankless task  and he did it with absolute aplomb. 
Due to my friendship with Phil Rising I had the pleasure of a night on the Guiness with he, Nigel, kelv and a few others. Nige was as enthusiatic in the boozer as he was in the commentry booth. But more importantly , super polite, respectful and  just a lovely guy.

Speedway has lost a very hard working ally, but the world has lost a bloody decent bloke. Rest east Nige, enjoy having the best seat in the house for all futre GPs. 

Edited by RPNY
  • Like 8

7 minutes ago, iainb said:

I don't... and even though he's nothing to do with Speedway presentation anymore, I haven't missed him at all. Nigel has left a massive hole in Speedway

and it will be very difficult to fill.

Those who criticise his style of commentary need to wait and see what the alternative might be. God save us from Sudden Sam. Be careful for what you wish for.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, mike1944 said:

and it will be very difficult to fill.

Impossible I would say... for what Nigel gave Speedway, the sport probably got him on the cheap. To be fair British Speedway gave him the opportunity 20 or so years ago and mined a gem and he put the graft in and made himself irreplaceable, they'd have to pay out many many thousands of pounds to get the kind of exposure that he gave the sport. SGP also benefited from this.

The poor chap has died before his time , sod his type of commentary, let your hearts go out to wife and family.  Everything other is obseen

• Like 7

RIP Nigel. An incredibly sad loss for the sport and most importantly, his family. Reading the tributes over the last couple of days show what a fantastic person he was. Having grown up listening to him and Kelvin Tatum commentating, speedway will never quite be the same again.

• Like 1