British Speedway Forum
screm

Nigel Pearson RIP

5 hours ago, noaksey said:

Fancy not being able to write something about such a tragic event without prefixing it by "I wasn't a fan..etc"

Nobody cares either pay your respects or just scroll past 

You are missing the point, in my opinion There were many on here who slated his commentary and Kelvin's. Those very same people might be saying 'RIP etc etc'. Diamondboy pointed out that there have been negative comments in the past and was berated for saying so. Therefore, when someone is alive you can slate them, but when they pass away and especially at a youngish age, they suddenly deserve respect. Sorry, but I find that weird! Nigel is not going to hear/read those positive testimonies, but he might have read the negative comments about himself, when he was alive!   

• Like 1

On 4/18/2022 at 9:13 AM, orion said:

I never like him as a broadcaster but  that does not mean its not tragic or i cant show respect for someone who put a lot of his life into speedway or for his family who have lost there Dad -Husband etc 

So nothing to do with hypocracy at all .

A great post was never a massive fan of the commentary with him / Kelvin.But i respected both immensely as they both loved there speedway.They were both passionate and god they produced great shows  i was used to Alan Weeks and the great Dave Lanning.Your Mega point was he was a loving father and was a family man and they have to live with the hurt and it does hurt he was only a little bit younger than me and has made me think about things.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2022 at 3:07 PM, Ray Stadia said:

Therefore, when someone is alive you can slate them, but when they pass away and especially at a youngish age, they suddenly deserve respect. Sorry, but I find that weird!

You think it's weird that a wonderful person dies, they deserve respect? That's what's wrong with the world today! Who cares if you didn't like their style of commentary?

Edited by chunky
  • Like 1

Quite chunky. It's a rest in peace thread not a debate about if you liked them or not 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Ray Stadia said:

You are missing the point, in my opinion There were many on here who slated his commentary and Kelvin's. Those very same people might be saying 'RIP etc etc'. Diamondboy pointed out that there have been negative comments in the past and was berated for saying so. Therefore, when someone is alive you can slate them, but when they pass away and especially at a youngish age, they suddenly deserve respect. Sorry, but I find that weird! Nigel is not going to hear/read those positive testimonies, but he might have read the negative comments about himself, when he was alive!   

And when he was alive he had the right of reply.  When someone's died people should just pay their respects or say nothing at all, the only people who might be reading negative comments are his family who are left behind and I just hope if they are reading this forum they ignore the ignorant posts and focus on the overwhelming ones from people who realise he will be missed and also a great loss to Speedway.

• Like 8

If somebody who was not a fan takes the trouble to acknowledge how much Nigel did for the sport, how much he'll be missed and what a great tragedy his passing is, then that is a tribute made all that more sincere by indicating where it is coming from.

• Like 7

Such sad news , so sorry to hear this . Kindest thoughts to his Family and friends another life gone way too early.

RIP Nigel, The Speedway family will miss you.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2022 at 2:31 PM, chunky said:

You think it's weird that a wonderful person dies, they deserve respect? That's what's wrong with the world today! Who cares if you didn't like their style of commentary?

I don't think Ray is being disrespectful in making a what he thinks is a valid point. 

I also think that if someone dies that you don't respect or like for whatever reason, justified or not in the opinion of the majority, that the most respectful reply is to say nothing at all. 

Thats all I have to say on the topic. 

• Like 3

Very good to see so many clubs paying their respects in different ways.  Belle Vue did a brilliant job on Monday with silence followed by applause with commentary played over (believe Birmingham did the same as well), a clearly distraught Porky talking openly about his friendship with Nigel at Monmore, and Kings Lynn placing a pint of Guinness on the start line during their tribute yesterday.

Such a shame Oxford decided to have one that lasted seconds and was ruined by Peter York continuing to talk over it

• Like 1

A week later and I still can't believe it, I spoke to him a few times at away meetings but didn't know him as such. Loved his commentary with Kelvin. 

Was thinking of what to put but simply R.I.P Nigel

On 4/19/2022 at 7:14 PM, keepturningleft said:

Reflecting on this now having absorbed all the tributes and comments, it's clear that speedway, in the modern age, has lost its greatest ever promoter.

I can't recall such an outpouring of grief and admiration for someone involved in speedway who wasn't a rider.

Nigel spent years promoting nothing but positivity in so many aspects of speedway that his contributions were quite extraordinary and surely without precedent. Crikey, he even ghost wrote Kelvin's recent book(s)!

This really is a case of you don't know what you've got until its gone.

A truly tragic loss.

this is a great 'angle' (re promotion of the sport). Nigel promoted the sport in many different ways through his media work as well as helping out at many tracks ( centre green mic man ,program columns etc) , all this (i imagine) would have been 'for the love of the sport' (rather than paid) and at the 'expense' of time with his family. his loss will  be felt more than we (on the outside) know. RIP Nige .