British Speedway Forum
screm

Nigel Pearson RIP

I am in total shock... Nigel was a good friend, and a lovely, lovely guy. Of course, he covered darts as well as speedway, but speedway was his main love. It's not often you are lucky enough to get a true fan as a great commentator, but we were very fortunate.

R.I.P. mate...

• Like 7

40 minutes ago, Diamondboy said:

Where have I shown disrespect? Please enlighten me. I merely pointed out the fact that he has been slagged off on here for years, let the mock grief commence.

twit!

• Haha 1

So sad...

One of the very best promoters of the sport you could wish for...

Condolences to his family and friends...

He will be sorely missed and leaves a huge void to be filled...

RIP....

• Like 3

Got a message regarding Nigel whilst I was at Scunthorpe, and I hoped that it was just a misplaced rumour.

Sadly saw the confirmations when I got home.

Echoing most of the messages on here, he will be missed and is a loss to our sport.

Condolences to his family, friends and Media colleagues.

I know not everyone liked his shouting, but it was a big part of why I liked him.  Speedway races are quick and loud, so it matched the sport and carried that energy across on TV.  Watching anyone else commentating felt flat and I missed that atmosphere he created. I am not interested in darts or soccer, but I assume he had a different style with those sports to suit them.

And though it did get a little annoying at times, his relationship with Kelvin worked really well too.  They had built up a rapport over the years that they were a proper double act that brought the best, and worst, out of each other.  He was not the first commentator I heard, nor the only one, but for me, and I expect a lot of people who only got into the sport in the past two decades, he was the voice of speedway.

This year and more to come will not be the same.

R.I.P. Nigel

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, Gambo said:

Got a message regarding Nigel whilst I was at Scunthorpe, and I hoped that it was just a misplaced rumour.

Sadly saw the confirmations when I got home.

Echoing most of the messages on here, he will be missed and is a loss to our sport.

Condolences to his family, friends and Media colleagues.

Heard the dreadful news at Armadale this evening.  Shocked and saddened indeed. Condolences to all his family and friends.  Nigel did so much over the years to help promote British Speedway at every opportunity along with Kelvin in their TV broadcasts.  Speedway in general owes him a debt of gratitude for the cheerful and enthusiastic way he managed to get all the positive messages across over many years.  He will be greatly missed.

• Like 3

Very sad news for the sport. A real enthusiast and ambassador. I thought he was an excellent commentator. In what is an incredibly difficult job, he was knowledgeable, engaging and with a tempo that often perfectly complimented the action. He also had an obvious chemistry with Kelvin Tatum that worked brilliantly. He should rightly be remembered as the voice of speedway, particularly in the GP era. Condolences to those closest to him.

• Like 7

R.I.P Nigel 

Always up for a chat and banter at Monmore about Cradley/Wolves battles over the years, he never would agree Greg was the master of the roller!

Sad news!!

• Like 1

Awful news. Sympathies to his family and friends.

There was no greater advocate or enthusiast for Speedway than Nigel at a time when the sport needs it more than ever.

RIP

• Like 1

What a shock. Terrible news he always promoted speedway and seemed a really nice guy. Big shoes to fill. RIP.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, emilali said:

You didn’t have to love him to be able to show respect for the fact he’s died and the pain that will cause to his loved ones. You perhaps ought to show some respect yourself.

Why would anyone use a laugh emoji at this comment?

Well said

• Like 1

So so sad condolences to family and friends . a truly speedway enthusiast will be sadly missed 

i for one loved the banter he had with mr Tatum.god bless you mate