British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Petecc

Birmingham v Berwick

19 minutes ago, TTT said:

£8 off a future match is a terrible decision......

The defence will be, "under the standard BSP Ltd policy for abandoned meetings". I don't know chapter and verse on this policy but any ruling that says it's okay to charge £10 for two races needs ripping up and rewriting. Surely, there has to be some sense of fairness inherent in any rule covering such eventualities. I know the rule is based on the number of races seen, but even under the old rules, it was recognised that until you got to heat 7, no meaningful meeting had taken place. Look at this way, let's say there were 1000 fans there. The temptation to scrape through two races is enormous in that the promotion save £10,000. I know that's not what happened in this case, but it does demonstrate how nonsensical this ruling is.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

Question ?

Are we the only Championship side with one ambulance at meetings?

What is the cost to have another one present ?

You only need one ambluance if you also have an onsite medical room.  Cost of an Ambluance & paramedic is about £800 ish per meeting depending on provider. A number of private providers are not keen to cover speedway because in comparison so a village fate the chance of an injury is high, which is reflected in the cost.

Edited by W9 Lion
  • Thanks 1

Many clubs have, under these circumstances, ignored the published terms and conditions and given free admission to ticket holders. The policy wasn’t designed for an event that only runs two heats as that is clearly unfair on supporters - £10 for two heats is outrageous. Stop hiding behind the rules, Birmingham, and do the decent thing.
On the ambulance question, I think the SCB rule is that a second ambulance can’t just be any old vehicle with the word “ambulance” painted on it. It has to ge registered with DVLA as an ambulance and have both a driver and an attendant. My guess is a second ambulance would cost somewhere between £250 and £400 per meeting. Other than for tv meetings, I doubt there are many tracks that have two ambulances, but, given the current strain on the NHS, maybe more should consider it?

A final point is to express my disappointment - that’s me using a gentle word - at how very limited the sympathy and support for Josh Auty has been. In the press release, Laurence Rogers referred to the abandonment of the meeting as being a “huge blow” for the promotion and that he felt sorry for the supporters. Not a word about feeling sorry for Josh or any update on his injuries which appear to have been serious enough to require him getting morphine. 
Birmingham supporters and Birmingham riders deserve better. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Wee Eck said:

Many clubs have, under these circumstances, ignored the published terms and conditions and given free admission to ticket holders. The policy wasn’t designed for an event that only runs two heats as that is clearly unfair on supporters - £10 for two heats is outrageous. Stop hiding behind the rules, Birmingham, and do the decent thing.
On the ambulance question, I think the SCB rule is that a second ambulance can’t just be any old vehicle with the word “ambulance” painted on it. It has to ge registered with DVLA as an ambulance and have both a driver and an attendant. My guess is a second ambulance would cost somewhere between £250 and £400 per meeting. Other than for tv meetings, I doubt there are many tracks that have two ambulances, but, given the current strain on the NHS, maybe more should consider it?

A final point is to express my disappointment - that’s me using a gentle word - at how very limited the sympathy and support for Josh Auty has been. In the press release, Laurence Rogers referred to the abandonment of the meeting as being a “huge blow” for the promotion and that he felt sorry for the supporters. Not a word about feeling sorry for Josh or any update on his injuries which appear to have been serious enough to require him getting morphine. 
Birmingham supporters and Birmingham riders deserve better. 

Good points made...

I also got the impression from the Press Release on main website that LR tried to justify the £10 entrance fee, by saying that the 2 Heats that were completed, were both great races with passing in both..... JOKE!

Like you say....B'ham should do the decent thing to all that attended and offer 'FREE' entrance to any future meeting and unless they do this, I wont be parting with any of my hard earned cash at PB again! May be I'm over reacting, may be I'm still feeling hard done by, surely it could have been avoided by the club....

I would put any money on things being different at the next meeting......

Edited by GiveusaB
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, GiveusaB said:

Question ?

Are we the only Championship side with one ambulance at meetings?

What is the cost to have another one present ?

I seem to remember having inadequate medical cover in the past... not sure about this season though

"BIRMINGHAM’S home Championship opener against Berwick was abandoned on Wednesday due to a lack of medical cover in the local area."

I like how they blame lack of medical cover in the "local area" and not the stadium... if they think punters are taken in by this whitewash, they must think we're all mugs

15 hours ago, Bandits4eva said:

2 ambulances would soon pay for itself when you don’t have to abandon your meetings! Find ways to raise money? If Berwick, Edinburgh, Redcar etc can get 2nd ambulances then I don’t know how others can’t! 

Incredibly arrogant comment... if it was that easy to wave a magic wand and "raise money" every club would have done it already

Edited by Osirian08
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, W9 Lion said:

You only need one ambluance if you also have an onsite medical room.  Cost of an Ambluance & paramedic is about £800 ish per meeting depending on provider. A number of private providers are not keen to cover speedway because in comparison so a village fate the chance of an injury is high, which is reflected in the cost.

Do each club source their own I wonder or do the BSPL (A) work as an association and negotiate a contract with a national private ambulance provider to provide 2 ambulance cover to around 350 meetings nationally each season. 2 ambulances at each meeting at £800 each equates to around £560,000... that's some bargaining power!

• Like 1

So ten quid for two races and probably got to buy a new proggy for the rerun of the meeting? It starts to make politicians look honest!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Osirian08 said:

Incredibly arrogant comment... if it was that easy to wave a magic wand and "raise money" every club would have done it already

Nice to hear that not everybody is ready to lace up their size 10's & stick the boot in.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

Don’t feel any sympathy for Birmingham’s promotion, it’s something the majority of clubs have covered for years, and should be mandatory, you cannot abandon a meeting for an ankle injury, when there’s a hospital 5 miles away! Even if a paramedic went with him in a van/the ambulance, and then returned, the public and the away team shouldn’t have to put up with that.

It is not just the riders though, it is also to cover for the paying (aging) public that could have a problem.

I don't very often come to the aid of any promoter but you need to bear in mind the costs incurred by them even though the meeting was abandoned.  I don't know what they will be but I think they could well include hire of stadium, hire of medical staff, referees fees, payments to track staff and travelling fees for riders. There might be other costs incurred as well. All of the above will also be incurred when the meeting is re-run.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just about to post similar myself HH.

I am not too sure how long ago this was mentioned/rule/ T & C's but there will be a £1 reduction of any heat not finalized up to & including heat 10 when a result is obtained to any forwarding fixture providing the ticket or stub of the cancelled fixture is shown. This is to cover costs incurred during the cancelled meeting as HH explained.

Hope Josh (Mr Scunthorpe) is ok & fit for Friday.

2 hours ago, Wee Eck said:

Add to that the cost of a second paramedic/doctor as there’s no point having an ambulance without.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Happy Hunter said:

I don't very often come to the aid of any promoter but you need to bear in mind the costs incurred by them even though the meeting was abandoned.  I don't know what they will be but I think they could well include hire of stadium, hire of medical staff, referees fees, payments to track staff and travelling fees for riders. There might be other costs incurred as well. All of the above will also be incurred when the meeting is re-run.

6 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

Just about to post similar myself HH.

I am not too sure how long ago this was mentioned/rule/ T & C's but there will be a £1 reduction of any heat not finalized up to & including heat 10 when a result is obtained to any forwarding fixture providing the ticket or stub of the cancelled fixture is shown. This is to cover costs incurred during the cancelled meeting as HH explained.

Hope Josh (Mr Scunthorpe) is ok & fit for Friday.

1 minute ago, Star Lady said:

Add to that the cost of a second paramedic/doctor as there’s no point having an ambulance without.

I bet they wish they'd lumped out for an extra ambulance then... could of saved them a packet!

• Like 2