British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Petecc

Birmingham v Berwick

29 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

Hope Josh (Mr Scunthorpe) is ok & fit for Friday.

If the "unconfirmed injury reports" become confirmed Josh wont be fit for Friday.

3 hours ago, Wee Eck said:

Many clubs have, under these circumstances, ignored the published terms and conditions and given free admission to ticket holders. The policy wasn’t designed for an event that only runs two heats as that is clearly unfair on supporters - £10 for two heats is outrageous. Stop hiding behind the rules, Birmingham, and do the decent thing.
On the ambulance question, I think the SCB rule is that a second ambulance can’t just be any old vehicle with the word “ambulance” painted on it. It has to ge registered with DVLA as an ambulance and have both a driver and an attendant. My guess is a second ambulance would cost somewhere between £250 and £400 per meeting. Other than for tv meetings, I doubt there are many tracks that have two ambulances, but, given the current strain on the NHS, maybe more should consider it?

A final point is to express my disappointment - that’s me using a gentle word - at how very limited the sympathy and support for Josh Auty has been. In the press release, Laurence Rogers referred to the abandonment of the meeting as being a “huge blow” for the promotion and that he felt sorry for the supporters. Not a word about feeling sorry for Josh or any update on his injuries which appear to have been serious enough to require him getting morphine. 
Birmingham supporters and Birmingham riders deserve better. 

I think you are well out with the cost of an Ambluance based on my experience. £800 is the going rate to attend a speedway meeting. £250-£400 would get you one at the village fete.

59 minutes ago, kitten2502 said:

If the "unconfirmed injury reports" become confirmed Josh wont be fit for Friday.

He didn't say which Friday?

40 minutes ago, Petecc said:

He didn't say which Friday?

I would think kitten is clever enough, going by my profile name, that I meant this Friday. :rolleyes:

47 minutes ago, W9 Lion said:

I think you are well out with the cost of an Ambluance based on my experience. £800 is the going rate to attend a speedway meeting. £250-£400 would get you one at the village fete.

The guess, and I did say that was all it was, was based on just having a second ambulance. The £800 you quote is for the entire medical team of a minimum of 7 to include a doctor or paramedic. 

4 hours ago, Osirian08 said:

Incredibly arrogant comment... if it was that easy to wave a magic wand and "raise money" every club would have done it already

Not arrogant at all thank you! Edinburgh have a fantastic fan group that has helped support the club with thousands of pounds… Berwick have the Supporters Club and in teaming with the promotion got the 5-1 draw in motion.. £10 a month from fans to join but they’ve got the chance to win each month so it’s a win win for both promotion and fans… so far that has given over 25k into the club… Newcastle eventually twigged on and got the same sort of thing going… it can be done even in the current climate this country is in :rolleyes:

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Wee Eck said:

The guess, and I did say that was all it was, was based on just having a second ambulance. The £800 you quote is for the entire medical team of a minimum of 7 to include a doctor or paramedic. 

Ambulance, driver and paramedic, not the rest of the medical team.

7 hours ago, Happy Hunter said:

I don't very often come to the aid of any promoter but you need to bear in mind the costs incurred by them even though the meeting was abandoned. 

A good chunk of this will be offset by the tenner a head (£18 in the case of those who don't return) they've taken from the fans with only 2 races of wages to pay for. A short term fix but it will only come back to bite them with smaller future crowds when fans walk away from the sport feeling they've been ripped off again, which they have. 

Anything other than free admission to a future meeting will be a PR disaster for them. I'm sure this is what the better run teams with forward thinking promoters would be doing.

Edited by OML
  • Like 2

Not a great start to the season for Brum, regardless of fault I hope it's not the start of the end again as it's been a tough season so far for the new promotion.  Fingers crossed for some sunshine in the next few weeks and nice busy terraces.

4 hours ago, iainb said:

Do each club source their own I wonder or do the BSPL (A) work as an association and negotiate a contract with a national private ambulance provider to provide 2 ambulance cover to around 350 meetings nationally each season. 2 ambulances at each meeting at £800 each equates to around £560,000... that's some bargaining power!

But that would mean working as a collective for the greater good of the sport...

That would never work... :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, IronScorpion said:

It is not just the riders though, it is also to cover for the paying (aging) public that could have a problem.

This is what i heard from Denmark at least

The medical cover/Ambulance was neccesary on site because of the paying spectators. In Denmark at least, they could continue with a speedway meeting without medical cover, as long as all the spectators left the stadium. Plus of course the riders agreed t continue

4 minutes ago, iris123 said:

This is what i heard from Denmark at least

The medical cover/Ambulance was neccesary on site because of the paying spectators. In Denmark at least, they could continue with a speedway meeting without medical cover, as long as all the spectators left the stadium. Plus of course the riders agreed t continue

Maybe the same in this country also, I don't know, I've always wondered what happens when tracks over here hold training days, whether there's medical cover then?

6 minutes ago, iainb said:

Maybe the same in this country also, I don't know, I've always wondered what happens when tracks over here hold training days, whether there's medical cover then?

Yes, there is, would never be able to get insurance otherwise, and you would be silly to run without that

• Thanks 1

Again it seems Speedway is intent on shooting itself in the foot, through a combination of things most of it being through its own rules, the minimum spectators that attended the meeting should be reimbursed is to attend a meeting of their choice either free or at most for a fiver on production of proof of attendance at last nights meeting, as for the Ambulance situation I am amazed that the BSPL even allow meetings to be staged with only 1 ambulance in attendance we are discussing a dangerous motorsport here not the local village fete, and surely as someone else has suggested its not beyond the realms of imagination for the BSPL to negotiate an annual fee with a private service to provide Ambulances at every official meeting the SJA instantly comes to mind as being an obvious choice, but again the BSPL fails to take a lead, I hope Josh makes a speedy recovery and Birmingham do what is right by the paying public.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, mikebv said:

But that would mean working as a collective for the greater good of the sport...

That would never work... :rolleyes:

If only there were somebody that could negotiate a deal on behalf of the BSPL and then pocket half of any savings made B)