British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Petecc

Birmingham v Berwick

10 hours ago, iainb said:

How many of the previous failed promotions has Mr Rogers been involved in do you know?

Laurence Rogers has worked at many many clubs, Most of which are now gone. Tells you something.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Heedthebaw said:

Laurence Rogers has worked at many many clubs, Most of which are now gone. Tells you something.

I thought as much... there does seem to be a common denominator 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, HGould said:

http://birmingham-speedway.com/news.php?extend.3149

Nothing else to say here.

People who are NOT Brummies fans who are trolling and lecturing about Birmingham Speedway being closed should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves. If you can't support SPEEDWAY as a Sport I'm not sure what the point is of attacking it!

Those who HAVE paid good money to attend do deserve a hearing and hopefully the Club will come up with a financial solution to both deal with the current NHS crisis and its implications in terms of cover, and something to placate that rather poor PR and initial offer from last Wednesday

Show me where I've said anything about wanting Birmingham to close. It's the absolute opposite and you're purely burying your head in the sand if you can't see the problems this could cause- not just for Birmingham, but the sport as a whole. 

My sticking point is that for all the goodwill and money the promotion put into Birmingham how on earth will it survive if its ripping off fans like this? No new fan will put up with it and the die hards will dwindle. We all need to be realistic and understand the average fan cannot be affording to lose money for nothing. With how often rain offs and crashes do occur in speedway, can we seriously not expect this to happen again? Bluntly, what has happened at Birmingham is a shambles and they need to do better.

If Birmingham need a blue print of how to run a speedway team they need look no further than their opponents for this meeting. Berwick like Birmingham was once a club in trouble but their new promotion have worked theirs socks off on and off the track and not done it by cutting corners. And whilst they might not be the most cash rich side or field the best 1-7 in the league you can say with their involvement with the fans with the 5-1 draw, the dirt xtra and genuine effort to bring value to money to their fans in the double headers that they've thought outside the box and been rewarded with an incredibly loyal fan base.

• Like 9

14 hours ago, heathen52 said:

Im afraid that by following the BSPL refund policy the club have shot themselves in the foot, it has/will been a PR disaster, somehow the promotion need to make sure incidents of this nature cant happen again, but how to entice disgruntled supporters back through the gates is an entirely different proposition, I almost went to the meeting against Berwick luckily I didnt and I will be very reluctant to attend any meeting that has minimal medical cover in the future, not only at Birmingham.

Just curious, but which tracks do you mean you will be attending? i.e. which tracks always have two ambulances and two paramedics?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Heedthebaw said:

There's also a lot of clubs that have disappeared without Laurence being involved which I think tells you something about the sport and the people who run it at the very top. 

17 hours ago, tyretrax said:

Question for GiveusaB. You say do away with the "Demo" races, do they take place before the advertised start time or after it? If before what time  would be saved?

Well the demo last week took place after the main parade (which i would've assumed started at 7.30pm?) I didn't check my watch at the time, but it was there or there about ?

• Like 1

So, on the Official B'ham website today.... The club are still taking the stance of 'only £8' off any other home meeting apart from U21 Final.

This is disappointing!

Onwards and upwards according to the club!

No mention of what will be different re: Medical Cover for the next Home meeting?

Bad PR IMO!

Call me disloyal, but I wont be attending!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

So, on the Official B'ham website today.... The club are still taking the stance of 'only £8' off any other home meeting apart from U21 Final.

This is disappointing!

Onwards and upwards according to the club!

No mention of what will be different re: Medical Cover for the next Home meeting?

Bad PR IMO!

Call me disloyal, but I wont be attending!

Very poor PR.

Might come back to haunt them,at least if crowd levels don’t improve they dont have to look far for answers.Themselves.

• Like 1

The promotion may claim they can’t afford to give free admission but imo they can’t afford not to.  Definitely a case of shooting themselves in the foot. Especially as they have invested so much in the track and new fence. 
if you had free entry you would give them a second chance. At £8 probably not for the casual supporter

It's not about the money now that I've chilled out :) the way I see it is.... they had/have,  2 options? Either refund/free admission to another meeting and we carry on... or, do wot they're doing and go by the Official guidelines... BUT,  put something in place for the next meeting so it minimises the risk of it happening again?

On 4/25/2022 at 11:31 AM, GiveusaB said:

P.s and forget about 'Demo' riding before the meeting....waste of time and hardly anyone is interested. Crack on with the match. 

If there's to be any demo's as such, do it during the 10/15 minute interval, providing the meeting is running smoothly.

While I'm on the subject....the parade is lack lustre and boring IMO.

Announce the 2 number 1's and let them do a lap and so on.....(straight from the pits etc.....)

Just my opinions of course....

Thanks for your comment regarding demo races before meeting, I hope you have the decency to approach me any time at Birmingham with said demo rider! It’s my son you kindly put down in your comments, just let me know when you can make it and bill and I will be there, we only travel 2 hours each way to be Birmingham mascot, a job bill loves and has done for 3 years thanks to Laurence and the promotion, he hopes to get a bulls team spot at end of the season when he is 15, like all the parents of kids who ride after the meeting we do it for love of our kids and we want them to succeed, Birmingham are one of only a few tracks that actually bother having 2nd half racing for them, so next time you make a comment saying nobody is interested etc remember, some people actually are.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2022 at 10:45 AM, Pinny said:

4 blokes in charge and the only one whos been involved in promotion is Laurence Rogers. That spells disaster surely?

To be slightly pedantic, 1 woman and 3 blokes...but as Lawrence Rogers ISN'T one of the 4-person ownership consortium, I'm left wondering who out of the 4 does have speedway promoting experience.

Rogers put the consortium together but didn't invest any of his own money into buying into a share of the consortium.  He's got promotion and speedway management experience and it would appear he's got a salaried position in the company. If, woe betide, all goes belly up, it won't be Rogers who loses his house.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, uk_martin said:

To be slightly pedantic, 1 woman and 3 blokes...but as Lawrence Rogers ISN'T one of the 4-person ownership consortium, I'm left wondering who out of the 4 does have speedway promoting experience.

Rogers put the consortium together but didn't invest any of his own money into buying into a share of the consortium.  He's got promotion and speedway management experience and it would appear he's got a salaried position in the company. If, woe betide, all goes belly up, it won't be Rogers who loses his house.

In fairness people who have no experience in speedway normally don't survive long hence having someone who has is pretty essential. It's why John Cook et al always found jobs 

On 4/27/2022 at 6:01 PM, GiveusaB said:

It's not about the money now that I've chilled out :) the way I see it is.... they had/have,  2 options? Either refund/free admission to another meeting and we carry on... or, do wot they're doing and go by the Official guidelines... BUT,  put something in place for the next meeting so it minimises the risk of it happening again?

The consortium have been working hard behind the scenes to put in place a solution to prevent the unfortunate situation from happening again.    

• Thanks 1