British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Petecc

Birmingham v Berwick

If this is the way the Birmingham promotion want to run then they've got absolutely no place in the sport. The absolute cheek to charge fans £10 for 2 races.

When promotions run like this doing the absolute bare minimum and then genuinely rip off fans they don't just damage their own club, they damage the sports image and reputation or what little it has left. I fully understand that "beggars can't be choosers" but there must be some sort of standard set for promotions looking to run? Because regardless if this consortium "saved" Birmingham speedway with these sort of practices they won't last more than 5 minutes.

Laurence Rogers in particular should be absolutely ashamed of himself. He's not a newbie, he knows how the sports run and knows how vital it is to keep fans loyal. Unfortunately I think this will turn anyone with any sense away...

Edited by spin king junior
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

I agree Birmingham's circumstances are unique this season. They absolutely have to retain the goodwill of the public to stand the best chance of making a success of it.

Hiding behind BSPL "policy" won't cut it on this occasion. Hopefully they'll have a rethink 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, noaksey said:

I agree Birmingham's circumstances are unique this season. They absolutely have to retain the goodwill of the public to stand the best chance of making a success of it.

Hiding behind BSPL "policy" won't cut it on this occasion. Hopefully they'll have a rethink 

Problem is, like with any business, customer confidence and a good reputation needs to be built up over weeks, months, years, its lost and gone over night. Birmingham`s management need to work on the first bit to stop the second part happening.

• Like 2

I'll be perfectly frank and say I don't think they can afford to. 

I've no inside information, knowledge, gossip it's just my own opinion. 

In one interview a comment was made about home matches and bad luck. 

Through no fault of their own the only match at PB that hasn't been called off lasted 10 heats on a horrible night with a weather affected crowd

Some of the rain offs would have cost too as they were quite late ones 

We've ridden 5 away matches and have another before we're at home again. 

Nigel was very honest and said he'd put 70k in but it was a one off. Much of that would have been spent on his Bond, making up other payments, new fence and sorting the track out. 

We've lost the main sponsor and gained another who some people have said aren't as big although obviously helpful. 

I'm only guessing but by the time you've paid points nd travel for 5 away matches there's not much change out of 20 to 25k. 

Thats horrific cash flow for any business. 5 matches to pay out and income for 1 plus Wednesday. 

Two sides to every coin. 

I don't want someone from Sheffield telling me my club should close, might suggest he buts out

3 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Certainly think newcomers who didn’t know the readmission policy certainly won’t be impressed and probably feel total rip off sport.2 RACES. FOR£10 given that it could happen again in certain circumstance you probably wont see them again.

I think it would make a lot of people think twice including hard core fans.. 

Unfortunately Birmingham are only following the rules given to them from high above and probably dreaded make that announcement knowing how it would be received. I do think that not having a 2nd ambulance or medical car in attendance is an avoidable schoolboy error tho, and you could have 5 ambulances at the next meeting and find that folk have already decided with their feet. After the horse has bolted and all that. A real shame that Brum are getting bad press after putting in an enormous amount of effort into the track and new airfence and saving the club. Let's remember it was only a few months ago that this was still just a dream to come to the tapes... 

28 minutes ago, The Dog said:

I think it would make a lot of people think twice including hard core fans.. 

Unfortunately Birmingham are only following the rules given to them from high above and probably dreaded make that announcement knowing how it would be received. I do think that not having a 2nd ambulance or medical car in attendance is an avoidable schoolboy error tho, and you could have 5 ambulances at the next meeting and find that folk have already decided with their feet. After the horse has bolted and all that. A real shame that Brum are getting bad press after putting in an enormous amount of effort into the track and new airfence and saving the club. Let's remember it was only a few months ago that this was still just a dream to come to the tapes... 

It’s not strict rules though it’s more of a “ get out” clause.IMO.Discrection has to be used in this case.I fear for them.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, HGould said:

I'll be perfectly frank and say I don't think they can afford to. 

I've no inside information, knowledge, gossip it's just my own opinion. 

In one interview a comment was made about home matches and bad luck. 

Through no fault of their own the only match at PB that hasn't been called off lasted 10 heats on a horrible night with a weather affected crowd

Some of the rain offs would have cost too as they were quite late ones 

We've ridden 5 away matches and have another before we're at home again. 

Nigel was very honest and said he'd put 70k in but it was a one off. Much of that would have been spent on his Bond, making up other payments, new fence and sorting the track out. 

We've lost the main sponsor and gained another who some people have said aren't as big although obviously helpful. 

I'm only guessing but by the time you've paid points nd travel for 5 away matches there's not much change out of 20 to 25k. 

Thats horrific cash flow for any business. 5 matches to pay out and income for 1 plus Wednesday. 

Two sides to every coin. 

I don't want someone from Sheffield telling me my club should close, might suggest he buts out

And I'll not be told by some brown nose where I can and can't make a comment. You can come up with every excuse under the sun, but charging anyone £10 for 2 races isn't acceptable and its only going to do one thing which is push more people away from the sport. 

It might be some absolute braindead BSPA rule but it seems ridiculous to actually enforce it and I'll say now if Sheffield were to do the same I'd be voting with my wallet.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Certainly think newcomers who didn’t know the readmission policy certainly won’t be impressed and probably feel total rip off sport.2 RACES. FOR£10 given that it could happen again in certain circumstance you probably wont see them again.

Brum should advertise £75 for 15 races (pro rata the same), at the next meeting and then see how many turn up...

That should tell them the impact a key fundamental decision they have to make would have...

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

Well written piece in the Bandits v Oxford programme from Gary Flint, not exactly happy with Wednesday night

What was the main issue gary was talking about? 

5 minutes ago, Craba1982 said:

What was the main issue gary was talking about? 

Just bullet pointing roughly what was said-

Started off wishing all the best for Auty.

Said a meeting being abandoned after 2 races for a straight forward crash is unacceptable.

He's sick of turning up at tracks and finding them operating with the bare minimum of medical cover.

Believes that the authorities should step in and insist on having two paramedics and ambulances before a meeting should start.

Understands that medical cover doesn't come cheap but should be the first item on each clubs budget at the start of the season.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, spin king junior said:

Said a meeting being abandoned after 2 races for a straight forward crash is unacceptable.

He's sick of turning up at tracks and finding them operating with the bare minimum of medical cover.

Believes that the authorities should step in and insist on having two paramedics and ambulances before a meeting should start.

Understands that medical cover doesn't come cheap but should be the first item on each clubs budget at the start of the season.

Common sense comments then...

Get the fundamental basics correct first.. 

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, spin king junior said:

Don't think any of the above is unreasonable to expect from any promotion to be honest.

• Like 8

Is there anybody in the new Brum promotion that has been a promoter before other than Rogers?

2 hours ago, iainb said:

Is there anybody in the new Brum promotion that has been a promoter before other than Rogers?

Not to my knowledge of 3 of the 4.

• Thanks 1