British Speedway Forum
davieb1

leicester lions already lost it ?

7 hours ago, Shadders said:

One of the biggest disappointments is the Leicester track. They had a blank canvas and came up with that. 

It turns out that this particular turd can be polished... the racing so far this season has in general been excellent!

3 hours ago, bigcatdiary said:

A good friend of mine took his grandson to the Leicester v Newcastle match a couple of weeks ago, I asked him if the track was any better and he said it was utter shyte.

I have been twice since it opened despite living only 35 miles away and despite a tidy stadium and viewing area the track, parking and racing is dreadful.

I don't think Newcastle are going to server up any entertainment at any away track this season tbh... ask your friend about Heat 15, that was a great race!

3 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

The investment in the twins over the years has been considerable and admirable.  For the sake of a season or two' s not optimal results in return for potential return has to be worth it 

Hopefully when the cubs get some meetings under their belts the twins will be a little more consistent and gain some confidence as they get more track time... I don't know if he's eligible but it looks as though Anders Rowe may also benefit from some cub time

Edited by iainb
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

Thankfully No, but we are spoilt at Peterborough.

Fantastic track that generally offers great racing, good facilities for fans and it’s own proper car parks both inside and out.

Spoiled? How? I beg to differ, yes it may be fast at the showground but it’s generally gate and go. The car parks are a fair walk from the track itself. Unless you are able to park inside( which 99% of fans can’t as you know) It’s poorly lit on the journey back to the car. Facilities are on par with Leicester, toilets, seating, over priced burger van, but isn’t that the same everywhere. 

Oh come on now, I think we can all agree that those who have been twice in eleven years know more about the track than those who go every week :rolleyes:

I think its generally accepted that when building the track and stadium they made a bit if a horlicks of the shape but a lot of work has gone into widening and improving it. Sounds like there are one or two issues with the surface but it's posted on here far more often than ever before that the racing is good nowadays and that's a very positive thing.

To answer the OP writing any team off in April is silly.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Leave some for us. said:

Spoiled? How? I beg to differ, yes it may be fast at the showground but it’s generally gate and go. The car parks are a fair walk from the track itself. Unless you are able to park inside( which 99% of fans can’t as you know) It’s poorly lit on the journey back to the car. Facilities are on par with Leicester, toilets, seating, over priced burger van, but isn’t that the same everywhere. 

One thing the EoES can't be described as is generally gate and go. It really isn't and has been for many years one of the very best racetracks in Britain. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

One thing the EoES can't be described as is generally gate and go. It really isn't and has been for many years one of the very best racetracks in Britain. 

We all have our own opinions, in my experience it’s whoever gets to the race line first wins. Unless someone can make it work around the curb/grass. It’s very hard to pass an opponent once they get on that golden line. Fast yes, exciting I’m afraid not for me 

Edited by Leave some for us.
Add

46 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

I think its generally accepted that when building the track and stadium they made a bit if a horlicks of the shape but a lot of work has gone into widening and improving it. Sounds like there are one or two issues with the surface but it's posted on here far more often than ever before that the racing is good nowadays and that's a very positive thing.

I also think the better quality of rider that is now participating in the CL has helped, the lesser ability riders still tend to struggle to get around BP comfortably

• Like 2

3 hours ago, iainb said:

I also think the better quality of rider that is now participating in the CL has helped, the lesser ability riders still tend to struggle to get around BP comfortably

Spot on. Any visiting riders reading this forum might develop a negative mindset and think they have a ready made excuse before the meeting starts. The better riders prepared to attack the track have contributed to some great racing so far this season at Leicester.

• Like 1

Kyle Howarth got it spot on a couple of weeks ago in hie post match interview.

He said the more you attack the track, the more you get out of it. 
There have been some cracking races there this season. Unfortunately, all teams are not equal.

• Like 2

I have been to Leicester about ten times now. I have to say it was so bad that I swore I would never go back. It was gate, hold your position out of bend two and that was that. The promotion first of all denied there was anything wrong with the track. Totally in denial. But finally they brought the bends in and racing did fractionally improve. It took a while but last season I saw a very good meeting there, and the playoff semi had lots of passing. This season there was again passing, but the track was rough on the first and second bends. Need Terry, our track guy, to be employed to get it like he has got Wimborne Road. 

And to think. They could have put in a Belle Vue or Bydgoszcz, but instead got it so wrong it’s impossible to actually believe.

• Like 1

Let's hope it doesn't take as long to get 'Terry' or someone similar in as it did for Poole, was at least ten years of bumps and holes wasn't it? Might have been longer.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

I have been to Leicester about ten times now. I have to say it was so bad that I swore I would never go back. It was gate, hold your position out of bend two and that was that. The promotion first of all denied there was anything wrong with the track. Totally in denial. But finally they brought the bends in and racing did fractionally improve. It took a while but last season I saw a very good meeting there, and the playoff semi had lots of passing. This season there was again passing, but the track was rough on the first and second bends. Need Terry, our track guy, to be employed to get it like he has got Wimborne Road. 

And to think. They could have put in a Belle Vue or Bydgoszcz, but instead got it so wrong it’s impossible to actually believe.

I need sum ruts tho Steve so I can sew me seed & av sum baby Turnip's!:rofl:

Edited by Turnip

26 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Let's hope it doesn't take as long to get 'Terry' or someone similar in as it did for Poole, was at least ten years of bumps and holes wasn't it? Might have been longer.

It was a couple of seasons of less than perfect though early last year it got very bad and the reason Terry was called in. It’s now the smoothest and best prepared track in the country with all riders praising it.

Edited by Steve Shovlar

59 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Your assumption is incorrect.
The local authority allocated an area of land for the speedway stadium which is clearly not large enough to accommodate a BV or Bydgoszcz size of track. 
However, instead of fitting a compact track into the available space the promoter went for total length of track resulting in straights too long for the size of bends which were possible to fit into the area.

FYI  the area that remains outside of the stadium were earmarked for BMX & football but were never developed.

Edited by 1 valve

21 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

It was a couple of seasons of less than perfect though early last year it got very bad and the reason Terry was called in. It’s now the smoothest and best prepared track in the country with all riders praising it.

Terry also does Wolves and Birmingham (not sure if there is any more!) really depends if he can fit it in!!! 

Edited by lisa-colette

49 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Well doesn't help when riders (who were riding for KL) at the time decided to add some of their own holes to the track! ;):nono: