British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
racers and royals

Gorzow GP round 5 Saturday 25th June.

12 hours ago, CB252 said:

Stunning insight from Louis at the end. Cardiff hasn't always been kind to Zmarzlik.

4 appearances, 4 finals.  He must be on about 2017 when he only finished 4th.

And he also said when talking about Cardiff that Tai was someone who "knows what it takes to win there"...

Tai's GP victories at Cardiff?

Nil.....

What is Sam doing on Saturday nights..? :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, iainb said:

Over the course of their careers Hans was obviously a better rider, but in 1992 Havvy was undoubtedly the best rider in the world, Nielsen was past his very best by '92

I'd suggest that by 1992 Per Jonsson was the world's top rider. He certainly wasn't in 1990 but from 92-94 he was there or there abouts.

• Like 1

Just now, arnieg said:

I'd suggest that by 1992 Per Jonsson was the world's top rider. He certainly wasn't in 1990 but from 92-94 he was there or there abouts.

yes, his 1990 win certainly made him into the rider he always could/should have been, he was nothing more than an 8 pointer in the BL up until that point. 1992 was Havvy's year though

2 hours ago, Lefty said:

A few tattoos and more use of the 'F' word and Dan's made it! :rolleyes:

Nooooooooo!! Thank christ Dan just does his own thing, fair enough if Tai has helped him along the way ......

2 hours ago, jrs said:

Likewise for Robert Lambert, i think they've both been impressive this year,  but as others have said its just developing that final cutting edge to their style. Its a pleasure watching both Robert and Dan this year. 

Wish we could watch them over here :(((((

• Like 1

Five rounds gone and five different winners. One might think the championship was wide open. Bartosz obviously has other ideas.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, iainb said:

Over the course of their careers Hans was obviously a better rider, but in 1992 Havvy was undoubtedly the best rider in the world, Nielsen was past his very best by '92

Past his best but still good enough for 2nd in 93 and 94 world finals (robbed on both occasions) and a world title win in 1995

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CB252 said:

Past his best but still good enough for 2nd in 93 and 94 world finals (robbed on both occasions) and a world title win in 1995

Yes, but he was nigh on unbeatable anywhere from 1985 to 1989, consistently the best rider I've ever seen

1 minute ago, iainb said:

Yes, but he was nigh on unbeatable anywhere from 1985 to 1989, consistently the best rider I've ever seen

Well on that we can agree. Clearly the greatest of all time. 

The fact remains, you can't question the validity of a title based on the opposition. It's not Zmarzlik's fault the Russians are banned, and who's to say Laguta wouldn't have reverted to type this year and been mediocre at best.

Also, he hasn't won it yet, plenty can happen, the others need to find consistency to be rewarded in a GP system.

14 minutes ago, CB252 said:

The fact remains, you can't question the validity of a title based on the opposition. It's not Zmarzlik's fault the Russians are banned, and who's to say Laguta wouldn't have reverted to type this year and been mediocre at best.

Also, he hasn't won it yet, plenty can happen, the others need to find consistency to be rewarded in a GP system.

He hasn’t won it yet, agreed, but it is his to lose, yes?.

18 minutes ago, CB252 said:

I'm not sure we were disagreeing on anything lol

Zmarzlik is clearly the best rider of the current crop and as you say he can only beat those put in front of him. Emil was never going to be World Champion imo, when he could have been he wasn't even riding in the SGP's... So then you could question Tai's 3 on that basis. 

As for Laguta, well, hmm... suddenly very very fast, i wonder if his engines could have been sent to WADA for testing at the back of a queue of lots of other Russian "atheletes"?

• Like 1

In the finals when only one gate position is left  Why does Phil Morris say the rider has selected the .....colour. To select something you must have a choice to select from, if only one gate position is left, you don't have a choice. What he means is rider ? takes the last gate position.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, CB252 said:

I'm sure some folk would disagree about Pocking but what happened in Vojens? 

50 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

I'm sure some folk would disagree about Pocking but what happened in Vojens? 

It's hard to disagree about Pocking, seeing that Ermolenko definitely wasn't under power at the time the race was stopped...

For me Ermolenko was the rider of 1993 and although he may have got "lucky" in Pocking it's difficult to argue he wasn't the best rider in the world in 1993