Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
crescent girl

BERWICK v NEWCASTLE (Championship) Sat 30th 7pm

5 minutes ago, HectorRacing said:

What happened in the pit area? (If anyones seen the latest fb diamond post) 

was there an argument? 

On Sunday, not Saturday, at Brough, the Berwick lot spat their dummies out because they got beat fair and square by the worst team in the league and it sounds like it got pretty heated particularly in the pits from the official Berwick promotion and riders (can't comment exactly as I didn't see what went on in the pits, but the Berwick promotion stopped their junior riders from riding in the NJL match, that's how petty it got), I don't think they could stomach the fact that they got beat by such a weak team on paper and the tempers spilled into the crowd slightly also. Where I was stood there was many kids present and most of them were over the age of 50..... Ridiculous... Berwick have always been pretty sore losers, it's funny because me and my missus were only just commenting about it travelling up in the car before the meeting even started, talking about how they wouldn't be happy being beaten by the weakest Diamonds team of the 21st century :rofl: Shame, because there's a few of the Berwick riders I quite like and they always put interesting teams together... Just spoiled by the few as usual

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, HectorRacing said:

What happened in the pit area? (If anyones seen the latest fb diamond post) 

was there an argument? 

I believe an issue had been raised about Paul Starke’s silencer… 

The Newcastle and Berwick meetings always had an edge of tension…. On what was a rough track… losing Ty in heat 2 and seeing Kyle speared in the rerun of heat 2… seeing riders like Howarth, Wethers, Clegg, Pijper, Proctor etc bumping around on a very rough track… it all just added to the tension! 

Just now, Bandits4eva said:

I believe an issue had been raised about Paul Starke’s silencer… 

The Newcastle and Berwick meetings always had an edge of tension…. On what was a rough track… losing Ty in heat 2 and seeing Kyle speared in the rerun of heat 2… seeing riders like Howarth, Wethers, Clegg, Pijper, Proctor etc bumping around on a very rough track… it all just added to the tension! 

Yes I agree, the track was rougher than usual and it's already a very difficult track to ride as it is... Didn't need to resort to such behaviour though...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Diamonds85 said:

On Sunday, not Saturday, at Brough, the Berwick lot spat their dummies out because they got beat fair and square by the worst team in the league and it sounds like it got pretty heated particularly in the pits from the official Berwick promotion and riders (can't comment exactly as I didn't see what went on in the pits, but the Berwick promotion stopped their junior riders from riding in the NJL match, that's how petty it got), I don't think they could stomach the fact that they got beat by such a weak team on paper and the tempers spilled into the crowd slightly also. Where I was stood there was many kids present and most of them were over the age of 50..... Ridiculous... Berwick have always been pretty sore losers, it's funny because me and my missus were only just commenting about it travelling up in the car before the meeting even started, talking about how they wouldn't be happy being beaten by the weakest Diamonds team of the 21st century :rofl: Shame, because there's a few of the Berwick riders I quite like and they always put interesting teams together... Just spoiled by the few as usual

I wasn't there last Sunday so cant comment on what did or did not happen, though with all arguments there will be two sides to the story.

Have to pick you up on the sore losers, where have you been, Berwick have done a fair bit of losing over the last few season so shouldn't have anything to be sore about.:D

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Diamonds85 said:

Yes I agree, the track was rougher than usual and it's already a very difficult track to ride as it is... Didn't need to resort to such behaviour though...

Was quite tame compared to the Davie Fairbairn days :D:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, Diamonds85 said:

I think you need to rein your neck in a bit! I don’t know how long you’ve been attending speedway… since I started regularly attending again 20+ years ago, there’s always been tension in our matches, more so at Brough! Your lot ain’t holier than thou either and Rob should think clearly about the comments he’s received himself at the hands of his own fans! 

and consider why our promotion stopped our junior riders going out… Scott, Jamie and Flinty are ex-riders… they have an idea on track prep and conditions! Why would they send our youngsters out if they were concerned… they have a role to play in the management and welfare of them! Consider also that one of our senior team had his son due to go out in the NJL meeting?! I’m sure he’d have let him ride if there was no issue! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, screm said:

I wasn't there last Sunday so cant comment on what did or did not happen, though with all arguments there will be two sides to the story.

Have to pick you up on the sore losers, where have you been, Berwick have done a fair bit of losing over the last few season so shouldn't have anything to be sore about.:D

3 minutes ago, Normski said:

Was quite tame compared to the Davie Fairbairn days :D:D

Personally I don't mind a bit of the old drama, but if my kids were there I wouldn't have been very happy about it... And I'm sure any of the new kids who got in for free's families won't have been impressed either if it was their first time there... I've been to thousands of Ice Hockey games, from the late 90s onwards so I know what a good brawl looks like, and I love it... But there's no place for that in the pits (and crowd) at a speedway meeting while there are children about, sorry that's just my opinion

5 minutes ago, Bandits4eva said:

I think you need to rein your neck in a bit! I don’t know how long you’ve been attending speedway… since I started regularly attending again 20+ years ago, there’s always been tension in our matches, more so at Brough! Your lot ain’t holier than thou either and Rob should think clearly about the comments he’s received himself at the hands of his own fans! 

and consider why our promotion stopped our junior riders going out… Scott, Jamie and Flinty are ex-riders… they have an idea on track prep and conditions! Why would they send our youngsters out if they were concerned… they have a role to play in the management and welfare of them! Consider also that one of our senior team had his son due to go out in the NJL meeting?! I’m sure he’d have let him ride if there was no issue! 

So why did he let his other son out in the 125 race then? If the track was so dangerous. If I'm not mistaken that was Stene?

Rob has not been perfect, I agree and he deserves his fair share of criticism... But not publicly in front of children and their families... Anyway, there was nothing wrong with Paul's silencer in the end :D Just clutching at straws I think...

• Like 1

Second half was cancelled due to the Berwick juniors not wanting to ride, nothing to do with the goings on in the pits. I did witness Newcastle fans shout abuse at all the Berwick riders and promotion, so if a couple Berwick guys gave some back, then fair game in my opinion, as it was the Newcastle fans that started the verbal abuse… as usual.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Diamonds85 said:

Personally I don't mind a bit of the old drama, but if my kids were there I wouldn't have been very happy about it... And I'm sure any of the new kids who got in for free's families won't have been impressed either if it was their first time there... I've been to thousands of Ice Hockey games, from the late 90s onwards so I know what a good brawl looks like, and I love it... But there's no place for that in the pits (and crowd) at a speedway meeting while there are children about, sorry that's just my opinion

So why did he let his other son out in the 125 race then? If the track was so dangerous. If I'm not mistaken that was Stene?

Rob has not been perfect, I agree and he deserves his fair share of criticism... But not publicly in front of children and their families... Anyway, there was nothing wrong with Paul's silencer in the end :D Just clutching at straws I think...

Ace has broken fingers, so didn’t want to risk falling off and hurting himself, as the Bullets have a meeting tonight that he wanted to be fit for.

As for the silencer, there was something very wrong with it, it had a crack in it, but there was no proof as to when that was done, and was obvious that it wasn’t done to cheat.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Diamonds85 said:

Don’t know about the heated Pit incident,but it’s far from petty not letting young juniors go out on a track that Senior riders considers unfit for racing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Its just a pity that at time of writing the Diamonds and the Bandits wont face each other again this season. Maybe a KOC Final.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, screm said:

Its just a pity that at time of writing the Diamonds and the Bandits wont face each other again this season. Maybe a KOC Final.

Having checked the fixtures, and thanks to the Edinburgh Monarchs, a Newcastle v Berwick KOC Final this year is unlikely. :blink:

45 minutes ago, Diamonds85 said:

The 3rd and 4th bends were as bumpy as. Even after Tys crash there was nothing done. Rerun after about 99 minutes and guess what , same place George wipes Kyle out in exactly the same place. Only then was the blade brought out. Even after still not good with riders tearing up coming out of the bend. It’s the junior teams right not to want to ride what they deemed dangerous. And then the right small guys get a couple of laps and once again same corner and another crash. We can all stand on the terraces and moan and winge but these guys could get seriously injured. What’s done is done and we move on. 

• Like 3

Not riding a track because it’s dangerous is fair enough but not as good an excuse as the Newcastle junior rider on Saturday who ( allegedly) didn’t ride the Berwick track because it was too big for him 

Edited by KEITH M
  • Haha 5

40 minutes ago, Diamonds85 said:

Hi. 
I was there on Sunday and I think you will find that it was a member of the Berwick promotion who told the Newcastle supporters to go forth and multiply and nothing to do with Rob 

• Like 1