British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

RON JOHNSON

3 hours ago, JohnHyam said:

Wikipedia says this about Ron Johnson's last action at New Cross in 1963: "...he did take to the track once more on 14 May that year, defeating Phil Bishop 2-1 in a second half match race series..."

That's a quote from my book which Wikipedia acknowledges.

7 hours ago, norbold said:

No he didn't. He didn't ride in New Cross's last meeting.

Glad you found that 'cos I checked my programme and didn't see his name.

Think i recall that Ron lost a finger in a mechanical accident with his bike. And also list his driving license after racing through London and his female passenger was thrown out of the automobile then had an altercation with a police officer. Seems a lively character

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2022 at 5:26 PM, iris123 said:

Think i recall that Ron lost a finger in a mechanical accident with his bike. And also list his driving license after racing through London and his female passenger was thrown out of the automobile then had an altercation with a police officer. Seems a lively character

Was it Ron Johnson who lost a finger when it got stuck in the bike's chain while he was working on it? Maybe it was another incident but whoever the rider was he was rushed to hospital and when the doctor asked where the finger was he was told it was still stuck in the chain. Somebody had to go back and get to in order for the finger be reattached to the injured hand. Maybe it's apocryphal but I do remember reading that story in The Speedway Star years ago.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Split said:

Was it Ron Johnson who lost a finger when it got stuck in the bike's chain while he was working on it? Maybe it was another incident but whoever the rider was he was rushed to hospital and when the doctor asked where the finger was he was told it was still stuck in the chain. Somebody had to go back and get to in order for the finger be reattached to the injured hand. Maybe it's apocryphal but I do remember reading that story in The Speedway Star years ago.

Yes, it was in 1930, Crystal Palace v. Hall Green. He described what happened, “In the middle of a match race with Huxley [in the second half], the breather on my crankcase worked loose. I put my left hand down to feel if the oil was coming out. Instead the primary chain whipped off the tops of two fingers. On talking the glove off there were the tops inside! The blood was pumping out, but grabbing my left wrist with the other hand I stopped the flow by pressure and walked across to the ambulance tent, which at the Palace, was situated in the middle of the grass centre. I was soon fixed up.”

Long before my time, but it looks to me a bit sad that Ron tried a comeback when he was so old. Maybe sometimes it pays to quit when you are ahead and be remembered that way. What say forumlanders??

43 minutes ago, BOBBATH said:

Long before my time, but it looks to me a bit sad that Ron tried a comeback when he was so old. Maybe sometimes it pays to quit when you are ahead and be remembered that way. What say forumlanders??

Absolutely BOBBATH. A very sad end for one of the all-time greats. The only upside was that it meant I actually got to see my team, New Cross's all-time hero ride  - a rider who had started riding speedway in Australia before the sport even came to England.

Out of interest, and off topic, but in that war time season 1942 there is an unattached Candian rider, J. Fergusson listed . Rode in a pairs meeting with Eric Chitty for instance. Any info on the rider at all ?

2 hours ago, iris123 said:

Out of interest, and off topic, but in that war time season 1942 there is an unattached Candian rider, J. Fergusson listed . Rode in a pairs meeting with Eric Chitty for instance. Any info on the rider at all ?

J. Fergusson......that's a new one for me.....I'll do some checking.

Not so new.....Know nothing about him unfortunately except the "J" was Jimmy and yes he was Canadian......I have asked around to see if anyone else knows anything.

Edited by andout
  • Like 1

“Whaler” Joe Ferguson

Scottish junior in the 40’s 50’s?

reputed to have signed up on a whaling ship to earn money to feed his speedway ambitions

OK so I have heard from the Expert on Canadian Pre-War Speedway riders and this one got to him too....Here are the two replies I have had from him.

"Jim Ferguson was a rider who rode speedway long track and road racing around the time of Chitty and Pepper in Canada. Did not know he was in England racing."

"Still, it was little surprise in 1931 when speedway or short track racing was introduced to Canada that Eric was on the quarter-mile track at the old Ulster Stadium in east Toronto, where he shared the honours with Jim Ferguson. Taken from Eric Chitty page on the Canadian hall of fame. I have a photo of Mr Ferguson somewhere in my files."

So, not much at all known about this rider, I will post the photo if my friend finds it!

• Like 1