Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

RON JOHNSON

I am sure that I saw Ron Johnson in his last official race. On August 31st 1960 Edinburgh were riding at Poole. Ron Johnson, despite his age, had returned that season for a comeback. Ian Hoskins, the Edinburgh promoter had given him a few rides, but he had not been successful.

He rode in the second half at Poole that night. About halfway through the race he suffered a very heavy fall, and was carried off on a stretcher. It would seem that his injuries were not serious, but I think that this was his final official ride. 

On 5/11/2022 at 1:11 PM, Midgetracer said:

I am sure that I saw Ron Johnson in his last official race. On August 31st 1960 Edinburgh were riding at Poole. Ron Johnson, despite his age, had returned that season for a comeback. Ian Hoskins, the Edinburgh promoter had given him a few rides, but he had not been successful.

He rode in the second half at Poole that night. About halfway through the race he suffered a very heavy fall, and was carried off on a stretcher. It would seem that his injuries were not serious, but I think that this was his final official ride. 

Ron Johnson rode the following week, on 3rd September, in the Edinburgh round of the Provincial Riders' Championship. He scored three points from five rides, but those three points were a win in his fourth ride against Jimmy Gleed, Jimmy Cox and Dave Dodd. He then fell in his last ride.

On 14 May 1963 he rode a series of three match races against Phil Bishop in the second half at New Cross. Johnson won 2-1. I think those were his last official rides.

Not sure about the film but I have read that he both amassed and spent a fortune. At one time he was said to have been living at some top London hotel but didn’t look after his money and apparently died penniless. Others may be able to fill in more details.

Thanks for that info, Jonas. I'd be very interested in learning more about that appearance at Sheffield. I have looked at the Speedway Researcher site, but they have no record of it.

10 minutes ago, norbold said:

Thanks for that info, Jonas. I'd be very interested in learning more about that appearance at Sheffield. I have looked at the Speedway Researcher site, but they have no record of it.

Speedway Researcher site shows in the Sheffield A to Z that Ron Johnson was in a demonstration race at the end of the 1962 season.  I suspect this was his last appearance there.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BL65 said:

Speedway Researcher site shows in the Sheffield A to Z that Ron Johnson was in a demonstration race at the end of the 1962 season.  I suspect this was his last appearance there.

Thanks BL, which means the match race series at New Cross in 1963 I quoted were probably his last rides.

Edited by norbold

Speedway Star had a very interesting four-page story about Ron Johnson in their December 31 issue. 

On 6/2/2023 at 10:25 PM, Jonas H said:

Speedway Star had a very interesting four-page story about Ron Johnson in their December 31 issue. 

Did it mention 1929 and this incident ?

Fines of 2 pounds for assault and 15 pounds for dangerous driving, with costs and his license forfeited, and disqualification from driving for 2 years, were imposed on Ronald Johnson. Evidence was given that Johnson in a sports car, drove at a terrific speed over Serpentine bridge, cutting between two cars which had to apply their brakes violently. In taking a sharp turn Johnson's passenger was thrown out and injured. The evidence stated Johnson became very excited when arrested and kicked the constable !!! 

• Sad 1