British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

RON JOHNSON

Australian rider Ron Johnson rode in the first meeting at New Cross in 1934. Uniquely he also rode in the second-half of the track's last ever meeting in 1963.

Edited by Guest

Not quite the same, but Larry Ross rode in White City's first 1976 revival meeting - and the last in 1983...

55 minutes ago, chunky said:

Not quite the same, but Larry Ross rode in White City's first 1976 revival meeting - and the last in 1983...

I was at both!

Not really the same at all. Especially seeing as there was also speedway  in the 50s/60s also at the stadium, which i assume Larry Ross didn't take part in

5 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Not really the same at all. Especially seeing as there was also speedway  in the 50s/60s also at the stadium, which i assume Larry Ross didn't take part in

But nothing "official"...

But then the meeting a couple of decades earlier were….

You might as well ignore Wimbledon’s meetings from the 20’s to the 90s and mention someone who might have rode in the revival period

It isn’t just not the same , it is totally different

On 4/28/2022 at 4:50 PM, JohnHyam said:

Australian rider Ron Johnson rode in the first meeting at New Cross in 1934. Uniquely he also rode in the second-half of the track's last ever meeting in 1963.

No he didn't. He didn't ride in New Cross's last meeting.

On 4/28/2022 at 4:50 PM, JohnHyam said:

9 minutes ago, norbold said:

You are correct norbold. SPEEDWAY RESEARCHER confirms your comment. 

So, a totally needless and wasted thread, eh?

1 hour ago, JohnHyam said:

You are correct norbold. SPEEDWAY RESEARCHER confirms your comment. 

Also my memory (I was there) and my programme!

Wikipedia says this about Ron Johnson's last action at New Cross in 1963: "...he did take to the track once more on 14 May that year, defeating Phil Bishop 2-1 in a second half match race series..."

54 minutes ago, JohnHyam said:

Wikipedia says this about Ron Johnson's last action at New Cross in 1963: "...he did take to the track once more on 14 May that year, defeating Phil Bishop 2-1 in a second half match race series..."

Ron Johnson's last race was later in the second half when he started a heat of the Rangers Stakes Scratch Race.  He fell and failed to finish.

17 hours ago, norbold said:

Judging by the title of this thread, "Ron Johnson's Double", the 1963 rider might have just been someone who looked very like Ron Johnson.

Edited by PotteringAround

34 minutes ago, PotteringAround said:

Judging by the title of this thread, the 1963 rider might have just been someone who looked very like Ron Johnson.

Or he might have been playing darts?

"The Interesting Fact That Isn't"???