British Speedway Forum
noaksey

Wolves v Lynn 2/5

The replacement for Nigel needs to have a strong sense of humour and be a non ex rider (like Nigel!) to prevent the commentary getting bogged down with nerdy detail.

Why Sam continues to secure employment remains one of the great mysteries of the world. I'm sure Sam is an all round top bloke and he certainly was a great rider, but as a commentator and analyser he is disastrous. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Rob B said:

Don't understand why Dave Rowe wasn't used (unless he was busy last night), he did all the voiceovers in the start of the show and did the highlights from Belle Vue. 

And we could the programme over in half the time!

7 hours ago, keepturningleft said:

The replacement for Nigel needs to have a strong sense of humour and be a non ex rider (like Nigel!) to prevent the commentary getting bogged down with nerdy detail.

Why Sam continues to secure employment remains one of the great mysteries of the world. I'm sure Sam is an all round top bloke and he certainly was a great rider, but as a commentator and analyser he is disastrous. 

Not that I agree that Nigel needs replacing as Kelvin ticks all the boxes for me as far as a lead commentator is concerned, there's only one logical choice for me and that would be Darren Fletcher... he used to do the centre green at Peterborough for a while and has done a bit with Tai I believe, but I bet he's not cheap. And that's the trouble for those of you that want Kelvin back as a co-commentator, now it's on Eurosport, they ain't gonna pay the money, Sky would have, possibly BT Sport as he works for them anyway, Eurosport not a chance!

On 5/4/2022 at 12:14 AM, Bagpuss said:

Excuses? 'Ill'? Don't be a Silly Billy.

We were struggling for various reasons, it happens. You won, no complaints. Not going to go to town on the track as it doesn't look good when your team has been beaten but suffice to say its been a long time since I've seen a good meeting from Monmore on telly for whatever reason,  probably the last British final whenever that was. 

To have one rider ill might be a stretch, but 3 illnesses and injuries seems like too many excuses to me. It looked like the majority of the Stars couldn’t be bothered. Just my observation.

Like ive stated many times before Monmore hasn’t been the brilliant track it was since we lost Doc. Some would claim they have never seen a good match from there but they clearly haven’t seen the SKY broadcasts over the years. 

On 5/3/2022 at 10:44 PM, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

The track has quite a large adverse camber on both bends a bit like rye house had making impossible to use the last quarter of the track up by the fence, if you watch Jorgensen in one of his rides last night he had a good outside run but went over the camber and just lost ground, the adverse camber wasn’t always there but has been there for a few years now, not sure why it’s been allowed to happen or if it was deliberate but it places most of the racing focus on the white line which doesn’t make for good speedway, the size and shape does make it a technical track but imo it needs the adverse camber taking out and the racing would be better 

What's that a ploy to try keep the material off the greyhound track? If not they need to get rid as they did at Rye House.

On 5/3/2022 at 10:44 PM, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

The track has quite a large adverse camber on both bends a bit like rye house had making impossible to use the last quarter of the track up by the fence, if you watch Jorgensen in one of his rides last night he had a good outside run but went over the camber and just lost ground, the adverse camber wasn’t always there but has been there for a few years now, not sure why it’s been allowed to happen or if it was deliberate but it places most of the racing focus on the white line which doesn’t make for good speedway, the size and shape does make it a technical track but imo it needs the adverse camber taking out and the racing would be better 

Just out of interest, has the track always been this shape or has it ever used all of the available land inside the greyhound track?

Wolves.JPG

31 minutes ago, ipswichwitches said:

Just out of interest, has the track always been this shape or has it ever used all of the available land inside the greyhound track?

Wolves.JPG

On 5/3/2022 at 6:55 PM, Tommy Sweetman said:

In response to all the moaners on here(and blimey there's plenty of em)regarding Monmore.In short,up to the early 80,s the track length was 329yards,and we saw some fantastic racing(especially the Cradley derbies).Since then,there have been various changes to shape and length,and which now presently stands at just 264 metres.The reduction in length was bought about because when Ladbrokes took over the running of the stadium, they were fed up of having to clean away the shale which was thrown onto the dog track.A compromise was reached that the back straight would have a buffer between speedway track and dog track,so that the clean up was only required on the home straight between bends 4 and 1.Tbh,if CVS hadn't agreed to the changes,people like Daniel Smith would have got their wish,and speedway would have disappeared from Wolverhampton all together.......Think I've got most of that right,apologies for anything I may have got wrong.

31 minutes ago, ipswichwitches said:

Wolves.JPG

Answered a couple of pages ago

8 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Answered a couple of pages ago

Thank you for that - can't believe I didn't see that. Must be an age thing.

• Haha 1

On 5/3/2022 at 8:42 PM, Trees said:

As for the Wolverhampton track, as a former Wolves rider always says, it is what it is, glad I don't watch my weekly speedway there altho I'll say not every race is great at Lynn either!  Wolves is better live.

FWIW I watched the TV coverage back yesterday, having attended in person on Monday. Not a great match either way, but I suggest the Stars' unfortunate illness and injury woes made a large contribution there. Certainly the good races (and there were some) seemed far more exciting trackside than on screen; could that impression be a result of Kelvin's more laidback style of commentary?

On 5/6/2022 at 2:32 AM, stevebrum said:

To have one rider ill might be a stretch, but 3 illnesses and injuries seems like too many excuses to me. It looked like the majority of the Stars couldn’t be bothered. Just my observation.

I've heard there's a bit of a bug going around...

1 hour ago, Fourentee said:

FWIW I watched the TV coverage back yesterday, having attended in person on Monday. Not a great match either way, but I suggest the Stars' unfortunate illness and injury woes made a large contribution there. Certainly the good races (and there were some) seemed far more exciting trackside than on screen; could that impression be a result of Kelvin's more laidback style of commentary?

No, it was just crap pure and simple. 

On 5/7/2022 at 9:24 AM, iainb said:

I've heard there's a bit of a bug going around...

Probably so, although I’ve not heard of another rider or team that has been affected by it....

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

Probably so, although I’ve not heard of another rider or team that has been affected by it....

I think half a billion people have been affected by it...

There's also a belief that the 'bug' can congregate around stadium floodlights in certain areas of Norfolk and cause major impact to work performance there as well. :unsure:

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, iainb said:

I think half a billion people have been affected by it...

Well we know the Covid symptoms seem to be everything known to man. Certainly was a cold bug going around the past month.

No doubt one of the symptoms affected the lighting in Norfolk as well as certain Kings Lynn riders that’s for sure, probably using the same daft logic.

• Haha 1