British Speedway Forum
noaksey

Wolves v Lynn 2/5

5 minutes ago, mikebv said:

If they prepared the track to not allow the inside to provide you with the most grip you would still have decent racing...

When you get to Ht 15 and riding the white line still pretty much guarantees you victory then you are going to struggle to have entertaining races...

Nope.Wont stop the moaners going on about shape and size.Agree track prep is important, but for most of em Monmore will never lose the tag of trick track.

4 minutes ago, Tommy Sweetman said:

Nope.Wont stop the moaners going on about shape and size.Agree track prep is important, but for most of em Monmore will never lose the tag of trick track.

I get that..

But they way you ride it lends itself to be described a "trick track"...

ie back the arse end sideways (almost backwards), in to scrub off speed and to keep the bike virtually on the kerb to get the advantage of being "shot" out of the turn..

Other tracks dont lock up as much and keep speed around the bends which adds to the spectacle.. 

If Monmore could use all the width of their bends then the racing would be immeasurably better.

Wouldnt take too much to sort I would think, however "home track advantage" will always be the mantra..

And will override "entertainment"...

Seen some excellent Speedway at Monmore over the years when more than one line was available.. 

I just don’t like seeing riders lock up so much on bend two that they’ve almost come to a complete stop before they get their wheels back in line and get going again up the back straight. Will never look particularly appealing to me. You also had riders taking the wide line on bend 2 who for a split second looked like they were about to pass, who then lost so much ground to the rider nailing the white line that by the time the rider on the inside got to the 3rd bend the bloke behind him was nearly half a straight behind! That can’t be right can it?

• Like 2

I thought Kiri did a great job - I thought she was better than Abi who she replaced (because of Covid) and I liked Crumpy with Tatum.  I don’t know why Eurosport insist on having Ermolenko as he adds nothing to the presentation. The match itself was a bit one-sided but to be expected given the problems KL had. 

4 minutes ago, Steve0 said:

I thought Kiri did a great job - I thought she was better than Abi who she replaced (because of Covid) and I liked Crumpy with Tatum.  I don’t know why Eurosport insist on having Ermolenko as he adds nothing to the presentation. The match itself was a bit one-sided but to be expected given the problems KL had. 

I agree with all of that.  well said.

I would have said Kings Lynn were poor had I not witnessed the abject display by the Panthers yesterday.

Poor meeting, only Jorgensen & Thomas turned up for Stars. Iversen as should be doing better at a track he called home for a year.

There was an outside line starting to build up as TJ used it to good effect. Then almost as soon as it appeared it disappeared again. Were Wolves management worried that the Stars might get back into the meeting so graded (or should have watered) to get rid of it ?

I would personally have left Jack Thomas in heat 14 - he had been gating and stood as much chance at getting points as the rest of the Stars. If Richie Worrall was coming in I'd have replaced Lewis Kerr who had been pretty ineffectual all meeting. 

Agree with others that Eurosport should perhaps consider a commentator alongside Kelv so he could revert to his former role, or maybe we just need to give Kelv time to adapt to his new lead role. I get the feeling Eurosport are maybe trying different combinations to see what might work best.

Kiri was OK, Crumpy is great albeit a tad deadpan, that was the beauty of Kelv and Nigel, their sense of fun, picking each other up etc.  I'll always like Brando and like everyone else I think Sam is just not required.

As for the Wolverhampton track, as a former Wolves rider always says, it is what it is, glad I don't watch my weekly speedway there altho I'll say not every race is great at Lynn either!  Wolves is better live.

I think all Lynn fans were hopeful of keeping it close but it was soon evident that it wasn't going to be.  No joke watching your team struggling on TV, thank goodness for 37 points!  At least we did better than the Panthers did at BV, Jesus! 

Hope all our Stars are feeling better by Thursday .....

1 hour ago, TINYS said:

Ermolenko has been involved in speedway outside of the USA long enough to know it's a straight not a straightaway.

I had a conversation with Greg Hancock once, he also calls it a straightaway 

Don't understand why Dave Rowe wasn't used (unless he was busy last night), he did all the voiceovers in the start of the show and did the highlights from Belle Vue. 

50 minutes ago, Col said:

I would have said Kings Lynn were poor had I not witnessed the abject display by the Panthers yesterday.

Poor meeting, only Jorgensen & Thomas turned up for Stars. Iversen as should be doing better at a track he called home for a year.

HE WAS ILL

On 5/2/2022 at 8:15 PM, Redpanther said:

As happy as I am that our thrashing isn’t on the tele:D the racing from monmore never seems anything too get excited about 

There have been many excellent meetings from Monmore, not every TV meeting can be a classic.

On 5/2/2022 at 8:48 PM, Steve Shovlar said:

Got 54-36 written over this. Now no Pickering.  

Pickering was hopeless in the 2 races he rode. They were stronger when he became ‘Ill’.

On 5/2/2022 at 9:17 PM, Arch Stanton said:

I’ve seen some really good meetings here over the years to be honest. Granted, this isn’t one of them but Monmore is no better or worse than 90% of the tracks in the UK with a mixture of poor meetings, mostly mediocre and a sprinkling of excellent ones. There are a very few select tracks that produce excellent meetings more often than not and we all know which ones they are. 

Pretty much sums it up. Wolves without question was one of the darling tracks of the SKY era. It’s not been the same since Doc left tho. 

22 hours ago, R87 said:

No it wasn't.  Even when you had riders like Ermolenko and Correy there it produced boring racing.  It's an embarrassment to British Speedway that tracks like that are still being allowed to stage the sport.

Shameful comment wishing tracks to close. 

Not a great meeting to watch, mainly due to the Stars ineffectiveness to attack it as a team or use excuses of illness or injury.

Wolves were just the better side.

Not a classic by any means. 

3 hours ago, mikebv said:

If they prepared the track to not allow the inside to provide you with the most grip you would still have decent racing...

When you get to Ht 15 and riding the white line still pretty much guarantees you victory then you are going to struggle to have entertaining races...

The track has quite a large adverse camber on both bends a bit like rye house had making impossible to use the last quarter of the track up by the fence, if you watch Jorgensen in one of his rides last night he had a good outside run but went over the camber and just lost ground, the adverse camber wasn’t always there but has been there for a few years now, not sure why it’s been allowed to happen or if it was deliberate but it places most of the racing focus on the white line which doesn’t make for good speedway, the size and shape does make it a technical track but imo it needs the adverse camber taking out and the racing would be better 

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, stevebrum said:

There have been many excellent meetings from Monmore, not every TV meeting can be a classic.

Pickering was hopeless in the 2 races he rode. They were stronger when he became ‘Ill’.

Pretty much sums it up. Wolves without question was one of the darling tracks of the SKY era. It’s not been the same since Doc left tho. 

Shameful comment wishing tracks to close. 

Not a great meeting to watch, mainly due to the Stars ineffectiveness to attack it as a team or use excuses of illness or injury.

Wolves were just the better side.

Not a classic by any means. 

Excuses? 'Ill'? Don't be a Silly Billy.

We were struggling for various reasons, it happens. You won, no complaints. Not going to go to town on the track as it doesn't look good when your team has been beaten but suffice to say its been a long time since I've seen a good meeting from Monmore on telly for whatever reason,  probably the last British final whenever that was. 

12 hours ago, Trees said:

like everyone else I think Sam is just not required.

Not me! He was by far the most entertaining rider on the night :drink:

• Haha 1