British Speedway Forum
GiveusaB

Birmingham v Scunthorpe 4/5/22

6 minutes ago, Racin Jason 72 said:

Was the crowd decent last night ?

Not great, unless there was more than usual 'inside' ?

Put it this way, there certainly wasn't an increase from the last meeting.(Berwick)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GiveusaB said:

Sorry...got lost in transit...I meant we nearly gifted Scunthorpe a point :t:

Ok. Thanks. I thought I might have missed something!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Brummies_Ste said:

James Pearson is still only 16years old.

He needs as many rides as he can get.

I have criticised LR may times in the past about some of his decisions,  but i am with him on this one giving JP his 4 races.

If the match was in danger of a home defeat it would have been different.

Brummies won :D

What if Scunny got an away bonus point though,could cost you a Top 6 place at the end of the season.

38 minutes ago, Happy Hunter said:

Ok. Thanks. I thought I might have missed something!

Just me and my eagerness....I realise that a 2-1 points result, would be in favour of the away team if the meeting was drawn ...

God knows why they complicate things :D

1 minute ago, Fromafar said:

What if Scunny got an away bonus point though,could cost you a Top 6 place at the end of the season.

Exactly...like last season! (not from the respective fixture mind....) we've improved...Scunthorpe battered us last year at PB!

I find it odd people jumping on the wagon to jump on young James, poor guy has moved country at the age of 16 is on tracks hes never rode before what are you expecting from a first season. He won his first ride at scunny the other day so got his 3 points job done. He would have won his first heat last night however got a puncture. Its still only his had 2 home meeting , id hate to work for some off you lot , youd be sacked after your second day. I personally think middle to end of season he will be on 5-7 points at home. Keep the faith and get behind your riders.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

Not great, unless there was more than usual 'inside' ?

Put it this way, there certainly wasn't an increase from the last meeting.(Berwick)

As long as there wasn’t a big decrease from the Berwick fiasco.

2 hours ago, Racin Jason 72 said:

Was the crowd decent last night ?

1 by the starting gate but a couple of right mingers on bend 4:rofl::rofl::drink:

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, Mike0310 said:

Oh well no points again and with a bloke who in about a 20 year speedway career is back at reserve again which shafts the young Aussie in his fledgling career why oh why does Godfrey keep persevering with lambert give a youngster a chance he ain’t going to get any better.

Absolutely clueless post & you have been around long enough to know the rules.

Averages change on the 1st day of every month & your team position is dependant on it. The lowest TWO averaged riders HAVE to ride at 6 or 7 so NO ONE WAS SHAFTED.

Onto the result of the meeting of which I did not see but followed via the updates site. Getting Howarth in for Auty did tip the meeting in Birmingham's favour, of which, the earlier posters commented on & for us to be only 8 points adrift after running 11 lasts shows us up to be weak in areas away from home.

We knew if Kennedy scored point in a reserve position then either Lambert or Palin could move down. The no2 position is the hardest position in the main body but Lambert proved scoring 4-6 points it is generally enough for the team but riding with a recognised no1 in Douglas, a top 10 performer this year, his scoring was limited. A no2, in 3 rides, rides with his heat leader but, also, against the oppositions heat leaders 3 times, 2nd stings twice & a reserve so heat 8 is his easiest ride.

Similarly, a no 6 has to ride with a heat leader twice & 2nd stings once( unless you put your 3rd heat leader at no4) & fellow reserves so heat 2 is his easiest ride.

I heard someone say that last week Palin was carrying an injury from a training camp but wanted to ride on Friday. He scored well for Torun U24's on Tuesday so in Britain,  is he still getting his head around the more technical tracks & is it affecting his confidence.

If anyone says changes are needed, please put down your thoughts on realistic alternatives. H McGurk mentioned, & he has raced twice this season, both against Plymouth(NDL) & going  by his results, is just behind Gilkes & Atkins. 

Edited by IronScorpion
wrong keys

Let’s be clear, no one is criticising young James. He rode superbly last night, his gating was superb snd on several occasions, held off their top heat leaders for over two laps. James is a great prospect snd yes, the points will come. Personally, I don’t care if he doesn’t score  many points  all season. I hope the club honour their pre season statements that  he is under no pressure snd will be given time. I hope that means he is with us all season, regardless of his scores. We will reap the benefits next season.
what is  being missed, is that many of the “floating” punters snd the newbies, only want to support a winning team  unfortunately!!!

Birmingham  have had an unfortunate start to the season at home, not having completed  a match before last night snd this has already had an affect on crowd levels. 
EVERY home rider last night, rode their socks off and they ALL want snd, DESERVE  the right to win matches if they are good enough to do so. What none of us  want, is for that chance to be taken from them by an inept team manager!!! 
As has been pointed out already, we missed out on the playoffs last year by one point. No team can afford to “gift” points to the opposition if they are serious about getting to the playoffs snd competing for honours.  
The  new consortium have already invested a more than six figure sum into the club snd are doing so many things right but, their hard work means nothing if the crowd levels are affected by disgruntled fans or sadly, by fans stopping away because the team  isn’t winning. 
Laurence is to be commended for the work he does for the club snd his  key role in getting the consortium together but, that doesn’t alter the fact that over time, he has repeatedly proven to be an inept team manager. 
Apparently, in a radio WM interview he said he left James in his last race because : “ he deserved it”. I can see the logic but, I snd I believe, most other Brummies fans want is for team manager to do his UTMOST to get the team over the winning line., not to be mister nice guy to the riders. By his actions last night , he could snd nearly did cost the other six riders the win that all seven of them, including James Pearson , had worked so hard for. 
Laurence  has a history of such poor decision making snd it’s not good enough. We will never win anything with this team manager. He continued the Shanes / Morris pairing all of last season despite the fact that they are not compatible as a pairing, always wanting the same line snd constantly getting in each others way, constantly being on the wrong end of a 5-1 . Despite this being glaringly obvious and talked about by many fans, Laurence just didn’t see it or, change it. .
We have been running rider rep at the moment snd guess what… in several of these meetings, what does he do?  He pairs Shane’s snd Morris in the first rider rep ride, snd guess what, we got stuffed in those heats. Yes, they got a 4-2 in heat 14 last night because Shanes has actually started gating lately .That’s   the same Shane’s that should have replaced  young James in James’ in his last ride and then we may well not have been going into the last heats with Scunthorpe having the chance to  either win the meeting or,  the last heat with a chance of taking s point. That would have killed the “upsurge” the fans went home with after a great all around team effort snd our first home win. 
The criticism is of Laurence Rogers , not young James . 

Edited by the hobbit
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, IronScorpion said:

Absolutely clueless post & you have been around long enough to know the rules.

Averages change on the 1st day of every month & your team position is dependant on it. The lowest TWO averaged riders HAVE to ride at 6 or 7 so NO ONE WAS SHAFTED.

Your missing my point I no averages change,what I’m trying to say is lambert after all these years should be able to hold a place down in the1-5 and he can’t your reserve moves up and scores 1 and if that carries on the youngster might get a bit disheartened and that’s no good for him there is no way your captain should still be lurking around in the reserve berth and you no it you might not admit it but it’s true.oh and I’m certainly not clueless.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Wow68 said:

The best thing I have read this morning - is you shutting up - we won - we won - be happy we have a team of people making this happen - I wonder if I will ever see you helping at the track? Probably not.

Ha ha...

I'm guessing ur LR in disguise...

1.Yes...I've ridden and owned a speedway bike. (Not sure wot that's got to do with any of my posts tho?)

And 2. I helped at the track week in week out all through the Masons reign!

I'm sorry that you think most of my posts are negative....your deluded if you think anyone gives two shinny sh#tes what I post!

I think I've been supportive of the club...

I'm not alone with some of the points I make about tactics etc....

P.s I avent once criticised Pearson...I think he's going to be great...but as soon as he's accomplished, he'll be off, after all, riding under your instruction is only going to hold him back!

Edited by GiveusaB