British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iainb

Engine Cases - Back in Black

9 minutes ago, MARK246 said:

Minimum 77 kgs is for the whole bike

Sorry mis print for me meant to say bike 

We ran a 2 valve Piper Jawa with a crack in  one of  the crank cases repaired with Araldite for two seasons in the mid 70's !

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, FAST GATER said:

We ran a 2 valve Piper Jawa with a crack in  one of  the crank cases repaired with Araldite for two seasons in the mid 70's !

Sounds a bit like the sort of thing that Dave Jessup would have done?

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

No Steve, you are wrong, Jessup would have used chewing gum rather than Araldite!!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, steve roberts said:

It was a special engine for some reason ( we never found out why ) broke many track records over 2/3yrs

• Like 1

On 5/3/2022 at 7:49 PM, iainb said:

Really? Paint, i wonder? I've never seen that

In the sixties a few riders has an “engine cover” it was a moulding of some description that covered the whole of the right hand side of the engine.I assume it was either light gauge metal or Fibreglass moulding.

Edited by Fromafar

On 5/4/2022 at 4:35 PM, jenga said:

i was told that painting engine parts black was something to do with the drag factor while going down the non bendy bits of the track , plus te shale did not stick to it as much as the stock ally . ones that were any other colour were not as quick ast he black ones . i think !

thats why Honda mx bikes were the quickest around . hence the name black  rockets .:o LOL

Ha, yeah, did they sell double glazing as well?  I'd heard that if you continually adjust your clutch cable on the start line and also drop the clutch repeatedly so the bike lurches forwards, you will make blinding starts, nothing to do with anything else. :t:  

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, SPEEDY69 said:

Ha, yeah, did they sell double glazing as well?  I'd heard that if you continually adjust your clutch cable on the start line and also drop the clutch repeatedly so the bike lurches forwards, you will make blinding starts, nothing to do with anything else. :t:  

Works even better with a shiny chrome clutch lever

• Like 1

On 5/4/2022 at 10:27 PM, FAST GATER said:

It was a special engine for some reason ( we never found out why ) broke many track records over 2/3yrs

600cc?

18 hours ago, SPEEDY69 said:

It would be simpler to just buy those same handlebars that Bartosz Zmarzlik uses...

Then all riders would be as fast as him..

No idea why they all dont do it....:D

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Ray Stadia said:

600cc?

No we think it was to do with the cam we bought it as a brand new complete bike out  MCN ,most bikes came through Briggo then  .

• Like 1

On 5/3/2022 at 7:34 PM, steve roberts said:

Recall that Ken McKinlay used to have a white engine cover!

Don't recall that.

Found this one. Ivan had a few.

Ivan Mauger - Alchetron, The Free Social Encyclopedia

Bikes page 5

Retro Speedway: CLASSIC SPEEDWAY BACK ISSUES 44-XX

Edited by Bald Bloke
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, tyretrax said:

Don't recall that.

I remember because during that time we painted those Britain's Speedway Riders and ran a league and I recall placing a cover over Ken's engine. Incidently when the 4 valve revolution kicked in those riders who had 4 valves we tended to paint the top of the engine black to differentiate them from those on 2 valves! Memories!