British Speedway Forum
PowerfulPierre

Leicester vs Oxford 7 May 2022

3 minutes ago, Leave some for us. said:

Relaying a track in the middle of the week was never a good idea.

I wonder why they chose to do it mid-week, mid-season and not pre-season? Especially as the holes in the track were there for the whole of last season

Just now, iainb said:

I wonder why they chose to do it mid-week, mid-season and not pre-season? Especially as the holes in the track were there for the whole of last season

No idea and absolutely. Getting that track back is going to be a mammoth task and one which is far beyond a quick mid week day on a blade. I was quite excited when I seen the posts on Facebook with everyone congratulating themselves on what a good job they had done. How wrong were they and major egg on faces,  Yeah the track record went once Stewart had spent what felt like an eternity getting the dirt away from the entrances to turns 1&3, but that track was crap, no doubt about it. 

1 hour ago, Leave some for us. said:

Getting that track back is going to be a mammoth task and one which is far beyond a quick mid week day  

The blade did its job perfectly well smoothing out the base to the desired objective. Problem was that the material had been put down in unequal amounts meaning the riders were in & out of grippy areas but relatively easy matter to fix especially if good/dry weather remains. 

In the good old days they would have just got on with it,the throttle works both ways !

25 minutes ago, 1 valve said:

The blade did its job perfectly well smoothing out the base to the desired objective. Problem was that the material had been put down in unequal amounts meaning the riders were in & out of grippy areas but relatively easy matter to fix especially if good/dry weather remains. 

Really ? Is that why you can still see the big dip by the fence going into 1 & 3 and the holes are still there underneath the tonnes of loose clay mix. Doesn’t matter how you dress it up, the dirt was in all the wrong places. It’s going to be hot and dry this coming week as things stand. So can we expect the perfect surface next Saturday ? Errrrr no. Maybe “they” should start by taking some of that heavy dirt off. No Good keep throwing new material on week after week, deal with the problems don’t cover them over. 

5 minutes ago, Leave some for us. said:

Really ? Is that why you can still see the big dip by the fence going into 1 & 3 and the holes are still there underneath the tonnes of loose clay mix. Doesn’t matter how you dress it up, the dirt was in all the wrong places early doors. It’s going to be hot and dry this coming week as things stand. So can we expect the perfect surface next Saturday ? Errrrr no. Maybe “they” should start by taking some of that heavy dirt off. No Good keep throwing new material on week after week, deal with the problems don’t cover them over. I noticed Andy Merideth was there last night, maybe he needs to take over the reigns full time and give the boss a break 

Edited by Leave some for us.

It's all about balancing the need for income and the quality of the track. 

The more you use a track for training and as a commercial asset the quicker it will deteriorate 

The more you use it in winter the quicker the deterioration. 

You reap what you sow. 

Maybe they need to cancel all non match day track use now until they get it fixed? 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Leave some for us. said:

Yes Andy Meredith was there last night, he prepared the track . 

1 hour ago, Leave some for us. said:

Really ? Is that why you can still see the big dip by the fence going into 1 & 3 and the holes are still there underneath the tonnes of loose clay mix. Doesn’t matter how you dress it up, the dirt was in all the wrong places. It’s going to be hot and dry this coming week as things stand. So can we expect the perfect surface next Saturday ? Errrrr no. Maybe “they” should start by taking some of that heavy dirt off. No Good keep throwing new material on week after week, deal with the problems don’t cover them over. 

I stand on bend one and you could clearly see the 'dip' going into that bend (on the inside of the track) from the start of the meeting. 

A track guy pointed to this area when Dickson was driving the tractor.

Dip remained.

1 hour ago, BTFC LION said:

Yes Andy Meredith was there last night, he prepared the track . 

Well HE can’t work miracles, give him time and he’ll soon whip the place into shape. Almost sounds like your trying to blame him for years of  Neglect? 

Edited by Leave some for us.

1 hour ago, HGould said:

The more you use a track for training and as a commercial asset the quicker it will deteriorate 

You reap what you sow. 

Maybe they need to cancel all non match day track use now until they get it fixed? 

I agree, but if you put the time back into the track and actually have someone with the confidence and know how to do it. The problems would almost be eradicated. There is no shortage of material on the place. It needs time and experience on it 

1 hour ago, HGould said:

You reap what you sow. 

im no expert H but polish clubs seem to get a lot of use out of their tracks and maintain them ok

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Leave some for us. said:

Well HE can’t work miracles, give him time and he’ll soon whip the place into shape. Almost sounds like your trying to blame him for years of  Neglect? 

Not blaming Andy Meredith for anything, he worked hard over 3 days, but it just didn't work for him. 

You are quick to say I know nothing, and calling for a new track man to be installed. 

I know people will now guess who I am, to be honest I don't really care.

If anyone wants to take my place then you are welcome. 

It will involve work at the track on average 2 or 3 hours every evening after doing my day job, then on a Saturday from 8am to approximately 9.30pm.

Oh and then on a Sunday from 7.30 to 3.30 or 4pm if we have a practice day, also be available if a rider wants a couple of hours practice to test new equipment. 

Oh, it's all voluntary.  

Any takers?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, BTFC LION said:

Not blaming Andy Meredith for anything, he worked hard over 3 days, but it just didn't work for him. 

You are quick to say I know nothing, and calling for a new track man to be installed. 

I know people will now guess who I am, to be honest I don't really care.

If anyone wants to take my place then you are welcome. 

It will involve work at the track on average 2 or 3 hours every evening after doing my day job, then on a Saturday from 8am to approximately 9.30pm.

Oh and then on a Sunday from 7.30 to 3.30 or 4pm if we have a practice day, also be available if a rider wants a couple of hours practice to test new equipment. 

Oh, it's all voluntary.  

Any takers?

Well, I think you've done a grand job so far this season...not quite sure what went wrong last night as the riders didn't seem to be getting into any great difficulty, as far as I could tell some were lifting coming out of the turns but that's about it. For whatever reason the riders didn't seem up for it, hence the strung out "racing"

4 minutes ago, iainb said:

Well, I think you've done a grand job so far this season...not quite sure what went wrong last night as the riders didn't seem to be getting into any great difficulty, as far as I could tell some were lifting coming out of the turns but that's about it. For whatever reason the riders didn't seem up for it, hence the strung out "racing"

The only complaint I was told about from the riders was there was to much dirt ging into the bends which made it hard for them to turn.