British Speedway Forum
lbw

Swindon Stadium 5th May 2022

I've also posted this under Swindon 2020 in the Premiership section.

Filmed today 5th May by Lee Ashby.

For me it looks like a stand is being built on the back straight because if the drainage etc was for housing surely u would see the drainage spaced out equally plus individual foundations for each house which there isn't.

Please note I'm not a building expert.

I'm confident it's a stadium being built tho but can't see it being ready to declare intention to run in 2023? I hope I'm wrong of course.

And the dogs are still running there so that should give cause for optimism?

I can understand Lee Ashby's concerns though because we all av had them or still av them about wot is actually going on there.

I hope the Red Red Robins keep bob bob bobbing along there :t:

Would like to hear your thoughts........

Edited by Turnip
  • Like 1

I work in new build construction and that is not foundations or setting out for housing..

:sad:RIP Back Straight Bogs! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

:sad:RIP Back Straight Bogs! 

Was that the array of bushes that went along the back straight?! :rofl:

13 minutes ago, M.D said:

I work in new build construction and that is not foundations or setting out for housing..

Good to hear from someone who knows their onions :t:

:sad:The BSB’s had a certain aroma which was only found there. Probably eminating from the green mould up the walls by the urinals.  

• Haha 3

How dare those builders destroy a listed building which hold so many memories for so many people! Is there no sentimental consideration nowadays?  Furthermore, what has happened to all those wonderful insects that made their home within that nostalgic structure?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, EnglishRoundabout said:

How dare those builders destroy a listed building which hold so many memories for so many people! Is there no sentimental consideration nowadays?  Furthermore, what has happened to all those wonderful insects that made their home within that nostalgic structure?

I was expecting the insects to be the reason why it couldn't be rebuilt! They would find some sort of rare type in there and they had to be protected! Wonder what BS excuse we will get now when it doesn't happen.

6 minutes ago, thecoombdog said:

I was expecting the insects to be the reason why it couldn't be rebuilt! They would find some sort of rare type in there and they had to be protected! Wonder what BS excuse we will get now when it doesn't happen.

Call me naive coombers me old mate, but I have always thought the new stadium would happen. I still do to be honest. 

• Like 2

The modular type buildings down near where the old car park was are the new stand :D, though it looks to me that they are already dropping apart.

All looks pretty depressing to me!

12 hours ago, EnglishRoundabout said:

This is true.  As I stated before the facility at the Abbey was a recent convenience, a modern 'Toilette De Stade' if you like, built as it was in 1947 compared to the more tue historical 'back straight cess trenches' circa 1895 at the Boulevard in Hull ;), which I visited once - and only once.  Ironic that Hull Angels, Hedon finished up at the Abbey in 1949.  But historical interest (sarcasm :D ?) aside, as a self-confessed track anorak I watch the developments in Swindon with interest, the shortened and re-shaped track was great & better than I thought it would be if I'm being honest, just needs a stadium around it.....

Edited by martinmauger
corrected hsitorical sarcasm
  • Like 2

On 5/5/2022 at 7:49 PM, Turnip said:

Was that the array of bushes that went along the back straight?! :rofl:

No that would have been an improvement! 

10 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

No that would have been an improvement! 

Liverrrrrrrpool Liverrrrrrrpool

There we go that's an improvement! :lol:

We gonna Win the Cup! :D

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Turnip said:

Liverrrrrrrpool Liverrrrrrrpool

There we go that's an improvement! :lol:

We gonna Win the Cup! :D

Yeah probably, I just hope I have a football team to support next season! 

• Like 1