British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
IronScorpion

Riders ...under power, racing or not?

There has been quite a few instances on the updates site of riders giving up when at the back. (cruising round & not racing)

What, in your opinion, would a race score be if a rider gives up(cruising not racing) & the rider in 3rd has a problem( engine, chain or fall) & does not cross the line. The rider in 4th continues round & crosses the line. Does he get that point?

Note; do NOT check Rules & Regs for an answer! Opinions please.

Yes he gets the point and do he should as he finished 3rd!!

There have been cases where a rider has been excluded by the referee for not making an attempt to race.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MARK246 said:

There have been cases where a rider has been excluded by the referee for not making an attempt to race.

Over 30 years ago perhaps

No such regulation exists any longer

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Over 30 years ago perhaps

Hard to tell now, who is not trying and who is fixing their averages I guess.

4 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Yes there is SR 011.1.18

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, IronScorpion said:

There has been quite a few instances on the updates site of riders giving up when at the back. (cruising round & not racing)

What, in your opinion, would a race score be if a rider gives up(cruising not racing) & the rider in 3rd has a problem( engine, chain or fall) & does not cross the line. The rider in 4th continues round & crosses the line. Does he get that point?

Note; do NOT check Rules & Regs for an answer! Opinions please.

The 'not trying to race' regulation is there for a specific reason and I don't think really intended for riders still in the race. I suppose they could theoretically be excluded from the race under that regulation, but what's to say they're not having engine issues of their own? So provided they complete the race within the time limit, it's reasonable to award the point.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

To be honest, the issue of whether the regulations rule on this subject is rather academic.

However, I think that riders who give up when they are last, are universally disliked by fans. I've took to putting CBA in my programmes (couldn't be *****). It's clear that the only way to cut out this habit of not racing to the flag is for team managers to kick a few behinds.

• Like 2

.......... and most of the time it is the top/better riders that are doing this.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

.......... and most of the time it is the top/better riders that are doing this.

running a last and  not making an effort ! could be that they have 2 on the trot , machine probs and saving themselves and their machine for the following heat .  . its part of the sport and i dont see why fans should take the huff 

GET OVER IT .

• Like 2

1968 Teesside v Canterbury, Pat Flanaghan and Ken Vale rode around on a 1-5 waving at the crowd. Can't remember what consequences were, I was 10 tbf. Same meeting Tyburn Gallows cleared the fence and the dog track in a nasty spill.

9 hours ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

The 'not trying to race' regulation is there for a specific reason and I don't think really intended for riders still in the race. I suppose they could theoretically be excluded from the race under that regulation, but what's to say they're not having engine issues of their own? So provided they complete the race within the time limit, it's reasonable to award the point.

I do remember an indoor meeting in Kiel, possibly 10 years ago with Tobi Kroner and Matten Kröger for instance. On a concrete floor and quite tricky. Think Tobi broke his leg the first day and so the field was quite depleted on the second day. Anyway, to get to the point, in one heat there were a number of falls or exclusions, and only one rider left, when the heat restarted. Not sure who it was, but he was excluded for not racing !!!! :blink:

Just now, iris123 said:

I do remember an indoor meeting in Kiel, possibly 10 years ago with Tobi Kroner and Matten Kröger for instance. On a concrete floor and quite tricky. Think Tobi broke his leg the first day and so the field was quite depleted on the second day. Anyway, to get to the point, in one heat there were a number of falls or exclusions, and only one rider left, when the heat restarted. Not sure who it was, but he was excluded for not racing !!!! :blink:

It also happened some years ago at Coventry from memory. 3 riders were excluded and only Rick Miller was left in the race, who was then excluded for pulling wheelies!

• Like 2

At Workington's first ever away league meeting in April 1970 at Rochdale, in heat 8 both home riders fell and were excluded. In the re-run, Mal McKay and Chris Blythe of Workington were then excluded at the end of the heat by the referee for not racing each other, leading to a 0-0 heat result. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

It also happened some years ago at Coventry from memory. 3 riders were excluded and only Rick Miller was left in the race, who was then excluded for pulling wheelies!

It is often ridiculous, because I witnessed a meeting at Ludwigslust once where there was a run/off for whatever it was on the line and the two riders had agreed beforehand to put on a show and just rode side by side popping wheelies all the time. 
Neither was excluded and the fans were spilt between the ‘ it was great’ camp and the ‘ I have been robbed of a proper race ‘ camp