Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
bigcatdiary

Peterborough v Belle Vue - 9th May

1 hour ago, wtf said:

That's exactly what Zagar did, and if it was track prep he would have said about the track being prepared poorly. He was quite specific about the problem being the material and I'd like to think he's been around long enough to know. Difference with Zagar is he doesn't care who he upsets by saying it

I said "People can't just blame it on the material in that case." ;). My post was replying to a post that said the Ippo meeting was a superb meeting with lots of passing. So to me that suggests that the track can be prepped to give good racing with that material, because it was for the Ippo meeting. I'm not saying Zager is wrong about  the material, it probably isn't the best, but it can and has been prepped better than it was last night. For me the it's a combination of the two, the material and the prep. Lynn has the same shale and Buster has started to prepare it differently and the racing is much better for it. Not perfect, but a lot better.

Just my personal opinion:t:

Edited by Bald Bloke

I was there last night and thought the attendance was disappointing. Car park was easy to get in and out of, back straight wasn't particularly populated and the main stand looked about a third full (just a guess!). 

Possible reasons include one or a combination of: the meeting being televised, disappointment about how the Panthers have started the season or, more worryingly, the 'cost of living crisis' causing spectators to decide travel and admissions costs can't be justified so pick and choose matches to attend.

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, but under the terms of the latest Eurosport deal do clubs receive any funding to compensate for reduced crowds at televised matches?

Not sure if they get compensated for it. But crowds in the Prem for televised meetings are normally quite a bit lower than normal unless it is the playoffs.

So much so a fair few years ago tracks used to reduce the admission price to get people to go as it looks a lot better on TV if grandstand is full. But that was when it was Sky Sports.

1 hour ago, lisa-colette said:

Not sure if they get compensated for it. But crowds in the Prem for televised meetings are normally quite a bit lower than normal unless it is the playoffs.

So much so a fair few years ago tracks used to reduce the admission price to get people to go as it looks a lot better on TV if grandstand is full. But that was when it was Sky Sports.

As has been said on many occasions .. 

You would think that the promotions would see it as a huge advert for themselves and the sport as a whole...

Even working as a collective to showcase what an "evening at the speedway" could be..

Advertising EVERY track off the back of it...

Last night it looked like "one man and his dog" was in attendance on the vast back straight and the third and fourth bends..

With the main stand (at the very most), 50% full (or empty depending on your outlook)...

Not going to persuade the "non converted" to become "converts" to the sport when it looks so poorly attended...

Two hours of coverage with not a person watching having a FOMO moment I would say...

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

Watched it. Dull as dishwater for first 8 heats. Panthers really are one year too long in the tooth. Aces could have won without Fricke & Zagar!

Kurtz was excellent, not just his maximum but his team riding.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jeff said:

Car park was easy to get in and out of, back straight wasn't particularly populated and the main stand looked about a third full (just a guess!). 

Not if you're not a queue jumper it wasn't, saw one moron in front of me in a great big black Ford Ranger (I think) almost get into a road rage incident as he barged his way into the queue instead of joining the back... he must have a very small penis

• Haha 4

12 hours ago, Col said:

Watched it. Dull as dishwater for first 8 heats. Panthers really are one year too long in the tooth. Aces could have won without Fricke & Zagar!

Kurtz was excellent, not just his maximum but his team riding.

Kurtz would most likely of been beaten twice by MPT but for the extra grip MPT got in ht6 and then Kurtz lifting and veering right causing MPT to back off his speed in ht15

You seem to have a beef about Peterborough as most of your posts are just having a dig at them and there age,

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, iainb said:

Not if you're not a queue jumper it wasn't, saw one moron in front of me in a great big black Ford Ranger (I think) almost get into a road rage incident as he barged his way into the queue instead of joining the back... he must have a very small penis

Interesting thought process...

I drive a Citroen 2CV...:D

Edited by mikebv
  • Haha 3

I don't mind admitting I have a stretched Hummer

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

give it a wash then :rofl:

4 hours ago, sandking072 said:

Would anyone have the race times for this meeting please? Nothing on the updates site. Thanks in advance.

1. 57.6, 2. 57.8, 3. 57.6, 4. 57.9, 5. 58.4, 6. 58.5, 7. 58.3, 8. 58.5, 9. 58.8, 10. 58.7, 11. 58.9, 12. 59.1, 13. 59.3, 14. 59.6, 15. 60.0

• Like 2

22 hours ago, mikebv said:

As has been said on many occasions .. 

You would think that the promotions would see it as a huge advert for themselves and the sport as a whole...

Even working as a collective to showcase what an "evening at the speedway" could be..

Advertising EVERY track off the back of it...

Last night it looked like "one man and his dog" was in attendance on the vast back straight and the third and fourth bends..

With the main stand (at the very most), 50% full (or empty depending on your outlook)...

Not going to persuade the "non converted" to become "converts" to the sport when it looks so poorly attended...

Two hours of coverage with not a person watching having a FOMO moment I would say...

This part of May is also not a great month in terms of no holiday periods, coming off the back of a couple of bank holidays, and also TV. There was still over 1000 there in my view, not amazing but for a low crowd not disasterous

7 hours ago, SPEEDY69 said:

Thoughts and prayers...B)

13 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

You seem to have a beef about Peterborough as most of your posts are just having a dig at them and there age,

Yep! They're all younger than me! b**$***$! But seriously? I really have no objection to any Panthers, Harris gave me one of my most memorable moments as a fan in a stadium in Cardiff.  Fair play Boro won the league last year but they were always unlikely to replicate that success.