British Speedway Forum
bigcatdiary

Peterborough v Belle Vue - 9th May

14 minutes ago, mikebv said:

For me, it isnt about ripping up the outside..

It's more dont have the kerb line that deep...

When the Aces were behind they passed the Panthers riders pretty easily early on, mainly underneath down the back straight coming off turn two..

And. As the meeting went on the outside never really became a "go to" line as the inside stayed so good...

Turns 3 and 4 had no drive away from the inside line whatsoever and anyone trying an outside pass made no ground, or actually lost position.. 

It becomes like "riding on rails" when you have a deep inside line on a big circular track, meaning very little point in moving off the same line when following the rider in front around..

A dominant inside line is no good for decent racing, Lynn in the past and Wolves proves that along with the EoES. Riders need options.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mikebv said:

For me, it isnt about ripping up the outside..

It's more dont have the kerb line that deep...

When the Aces were behind they passed the Panthers riders pretty easily early on, mainly underneath down the back straight coming off turn two..

And. As the meeting went on the outside never really became a "go to" line as the inside stayed so good...

Turns 3 and 4 had no drive away from the inside line whatsoever and anyone trying an outside pass made no ground, or actually lost position.. 

It becomes like "riding on rails" when you have a deep inside line on a big circular track, meaning very little point in moving off the same line when following the rider in front around..

Yep, i hear what you are saying. Spiking up the outside no doubt would of produced more  grip there, but the safer way would be as you say and take the grip away from the inside. The outside was probably fine, just the inside was to good.

I assume that Pickering hasn't done anything like that before and probably doesn't know Kelvin too well either so I think he did a good job last night, certainly an improvement on Crump. 

Going forward I do think they need someone regular alongside Kelvin whether that's as the lead or co-commentator but it's pretty much impossible to replace Nigel and the partnership they had. 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, The Cheese said:

I assume that Pickering hasn't done anything like that before and probably doesn't know Kelvin too well either so I think he did a good job last night, certainly an improvement on Crump. 

Going forward I do think they need someone regular alongside Kelvin whether that's as the lead or co-commentator but it's pretty much impossible to replace Nigel and the partnership they had. 

Not sure if Kelvin would want a permanent replacement tbh. 

I think a different guest every week suits Kelvin much better as it's someone different to keep him company every week rather than having a particular person permanently fill the void left by Nigel.

Kelvin & Nigel's bond together really was a special partnership. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bellevueace said:

Dont forget we dont do play offs, i think we are after Preston North Ends record for play off losses :)

You're too good this year tbh.

I was posting banter posts on here the other day before last nights meeting.

I even said on the Belle Vue thread that you'll win the league after signing Zagar and how Lemon won't even be able to mess this one up.

Sheffield are over hyped imo, Even we could've got a league point on the road against them going into Heat 15 with a misfiring team.

2 hours ago, Blupanther said:

Irrelevant... I travel 90 miles to watch speedway at the Showground for quality racing, not gate and go rubbish on a crap surface. That's the reason i stopped going to Lynn...

I used to love going to Kings Lynn

bank holiday Monday… Lynn vAces 1100…pm meeting at Rye house….evening internationale at wimbledon

Always rated Lynn in my top 3

sadly in recent years the quality of racing has deteriorated such that I do not rate the track at all… often well prepared track with grip everywhere an no advantage whatever line you use.

Edited by KIRKYLANE
Error in spelling
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Bald Bloke said:

Yep, i hear what you are saying. Spiking up the outside no doubt would of produced more  grip there, but the safer way would be as you say and take the grip away from the inside. The outside was probably fine, just the inside was to good.

This was discussed at the Pre Season Meeting with the riders and management and it was fairly well agreed that the Riders and team manager would like it less grippy on the white line.

We basically get three types of track

A - Grippy all over but including the inner and white - Fast times and a gaters paradise

B - Slicker round the inner and white line and plenty of dirt out wide - Generally good or very good  meetings with plenty of overtaking

C - A mixture of A & B - Which sometimes produces a decent meeting but doesn’t always.

Some of the problem last night was not enough watering in my opinion, but then we had the TV and they want it run to a schedule.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TTT said:

You're too good this year tbh.

I was posting banter posts on here the other day before last nights meeting.

I even said on the Belle Vue thread that you'll win the league after signing Zagar and how Lemon won't even be able to mess this one up.

Sheffield are over hyped imo, Even we could've got a league point on the road against them going into Heat 15 with a misfiring team.

I dont think its that cut and dried yet, Sheffield will certainly be thereabouts at the business end, its very early doors and no doubt Rob Lyon will get Peterborough going i can see a change or two there, and i think we will see some closer results at home, last Monday was a bit of a freak result. Dont under estimate Lemon, :)

2 hours ago, poole keith said:

theres going to be ayear when not even belle vue can screw it up lol

Law of averges and all that :)

16 hours ago, Steve0 said:

Have to say that Norick Blodorn looks good 

He didn't at Ipswich!

Norick is ok on the bigger tracks hes used to them in Germany, be interesting to see how he progresses when we vist Wolves and Ipswich again.

• Like 1

Just watched the recording of the meeting on TV.

Loved Basso giving himself a pep talk before the tapes went up.

3 hours ago, Bald Bloke said:

People can't just blame it on the material in that case. It must of been the same for both meetings. Looks like the Ippo meeting  proves it is possible for the track to produce good racing. It can only be down to track prep then? 

Well in my opinion yes, certainly makes a big difference, especially for the likes of Harris how more often than not fails too make the gate, you know it’s bad when he sits on the white line. It is annoying because it is the same for both teams but that’s twice we’ve come off worse, no home track advantage  

23 hours ago, Redpanther said:

Well in my opinion yes, certainly makes a big difference, especially for the likes of Harris how more often than not fails too make the gate, you know it’s bad when he sits on the white line. It is annoying because it is the same for both teams but that’s twice we’ve come off worse, no home track advantage  

The riders must of voiced their dislike of the track. I'm no track expert, but why can't the inside be bladed so it's not as deep, so less grippy, and maybe a bit more dirt from mid track to the fence. Maybe it's not as easy as that. Who knows, but something needs doing track and rider wise ,before it's to late imho. It's only a short season. There's to many riders off the boil. It's not just one.. No doubt Rob is thinking of a change or 2 if things don't pick  up soon..

Edited by Bald Bloke

4 hours ago, Bald Bloke said:

People can't just blame it on the material in that case. It must of been the same for both meetings. Looks like the Ippo meeting  proves it is possible for the track to produce good racing. It can only be down to track prep then? 

That's exactly what Zagar did, and if it was track prep he would have said about the track being prepared poorly. He was quite specific about the problem being the material and I'd like to think he's been around long enough to know. Difference with Zagar is he doesn't care who he upsets by saying it

• Like 4