British Speedway Forum
lisa-colette

Newcastle vs Glasgow 8/5/22 4pm??

48 minutes ago, HectorRacing said:

What did he say?

Something about ignoring or not taking any notice what people say about him. It was on the cover of one of the recent Speedway Star's.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, TTT said:

I haven't.

They'll be allowed to return as the Sport in this country cant afford to turn down clubs imo. As long as the club is run professionally with suitable conditions then everything should be fine imo.

Most Diamonds fans have chucked in the towel now imo.

Judging by the attendances at Home I don't think many Newcastle fans would mind at this point in all honesty. It really does seem like most Diamonds fans have chucked the towel in already.

You misunderstand. It won't be up to the speedway authorities.  Any new owner is unlikely to get planning permission to run motorsports at Brough Park from the local authorities. You weren't to know this.  Finding another site would be ideal but that's probably harder to achieve without any money to make it happen and you still need permissions from local authorities.

As you say the sport can't afford to lose any more clubs but the BSPL have done their best to achieve just that.

I chucked the towel in at the end of 2019, i.e. pre Rob Grant era as to be honest the level of entertainment wasn't worth the money and the meetings seemed to take forever for what is essentially 15 minutes of action.  It's an extreme sport and it's presented like crown green bowls from the 70's.

The Brough track doesn't suit the modern bikes/riders and Sunday only meetings mean the Diamonds have zero chance of putting together a decent team at the current CL level.

A lower standard hybrid of CL and NDL would be ideal for the Diamonds where most riders are UK based.  Absolutely crazy the the sport in this country only had one meeting on a Sunday in May.  I think that makes it two meetings all weekend (excluding NDL and Friday nights). Totally bonkers imo not to run fixtures when most people have their leisure time. But it would appear everyone in the CL would prefer to subsidise the PL by offering their riders part time work.

Edited by enotian
  • Like 4

On a random note, how could newcastle fix this? Or what would you do if you ran this team? 

i wish i had the money to start afresh, plus need to get fans back onside. I envy how other teams are close to theirs and have good away followings/etc 

1 hour ago, HectorRacing said:

Wondering what statement will newcastle will release? 

as a newc fan, did seem there were more glasgow fans then us. Also did our riders come out and clap the fans? (I left 5/10 mins after call off) 

I like speedway, but this season is a complete mess/farce/etc/ dont even feel connected to the team. 

but all i can hear in my head

can clark of the course call refs box 

Moving away from the under strength side and the state of the track, which I cannot comment about as was not close enough to observe whether the pictures on social media are accurate or not, the fact that a meeting has been called off for an unfit track in good weather, at 6pm in the evening without any of the promotion offering the fans an explanation is shocking.

We had last weeks anticlimax against Berwick, with so much going on in the pits at the end but no comment to the crowd from the promotion on what was actually going on. Tonight again absolute silence after the farce of a postponement in beautiful weather and still with hours of daylight left.

The issue is that this promotion hides behind social media and have very poor press releases. It’s about time someone took it upon themselves to communicate with the crowd at a meeting to take responsibility for some of the issues before even more of the loyal hardcore step away. 

Totally embarrassing tonight and I feel for the Glasgow fans who made the trip down.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Arson fire said:

Wow, thats fkg shocking.

It's like 1 of your skidders after a night on the scroggs beer lol

• Like 1

Texter might get into trouble with what they said about Cook isn't true, especially if he complains about it. Be interesting to see if that race comment dissappear or not! 

1 minute ago, Viper said:

Moving away from the under strength side and the state of the track, which I cannot comment about as was not close enough to observe whether the pictures on social media are accurate or not, the fact that a meeting has been called off for an unfit track in good weather, at 6pm in the evening without any of the promotion offering the fans an explanation is shocking.

We had last weeks anticlimax against Berwick, with so much going on in the pits at the end but no comment to the crowd from the promotion on what was actually going on. Tonight again absolute silence after the farce of a postponement in beautiful weather and still with hours of daylight left.

The issue is that this promotion hides behind social media and have very poor press releases. It’s about time someone took it upon themselves to communicate with the crowd at a meeting to take responsibility for some of the issues before even more of the loyal hardcore step away. 

Totally embarrassing tonight and I feel for the Glasgow fans who made the trip down.

Yeah we did notice last weeks strange goings on in pits but had no clue since the burger van is in way, so we thought nothing off it. 

then days later a random statement. We thought new signings but it mentioned what happened/etc

then agree with your comments about tonight, meeting off, see you in two weeks and all the newc folk were in the pits, while glasgow team came out/etc

3 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Texter might get into trouble with what they said about Cook isn't true, especially if he complains about it. Be interesting to see if that race comment dissappear or not! 

What was said ?

3 minutes ago, proud panther said:

What was said ?

Something about having a go at Wright, throwing stuff around in the pits and having to go off and cool down and that he had lost his head.

Oh and livid in the pits, just checked if I missed anything!

Edited by lisa-colette

1 minute ago, HectorRacing said:

Yeah we did notice last weeks strange goings on in pits but had no clue since the burger van is in way, so we thought nothing off it. 

then days later a random statement. We thought new signings but it mentioned what happened/etc

then agree with your comments about tonight, meeting off, see you in two weeks and all the newc folk were in the pits, while glasgow team came out/etc

I know our former promotion had its faults too and I know there is rumours of other issues with them that I can’t personally comment upon. However, George English would have been the first to stand on the greyhound track and explain to his paying customers what was going on and take some responsibility.

The current promotion either are shying away from doing so or are of the view that there customers do not matter. Whichever way it is it will just continue to diminish the number of fans turning up week in week out.

It will be interesting to see the press release whenever they finally put that out but communications in any line of business need to be timely and through the correct channels, basically straight away at the stadium with your customers present!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jaizer said:

Just back home in comet land i dont know what that "manager" was watching saying "crash after crash"  the racing was some of the best have seen there this season ,glasgow riders fell off 3 times you could  argue 2 caused by themselves,cook not interested matt wethers could hardly walk after he came off but came out and rode a great last corner to pass 2 others.it will be said by others but if score had been the other way around would it have been called off after ht 10 i dont think so.the real p*** take was glasgow walking on track to claim a victory which could and should have gone either way.i agree the pic shows how awfull and dangerous it could have been but why wait till ht 10 which was only stopped because the glasgow rider came off on his own on first corner no where near the hole. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lisa-colette said:

Something about having a go at Wright, throwing stuff around in the pits and having to go off and cool down and that he had lost his head.

I know it's volunteers etc etc but when there's been 2 people on here from opposing sides saying it was total BS then you have to ask questions as to what the agenda was by putting that out there

• Like 1

1 minute ago, geoff100 said:

Just back home in comet land i dont know what that "manager" was watching saying "crash after crash"  the racing was some of the best have seen there this season ,glasgow riders fell off 3 times you could  argue 2 caused by themselves,cook not interested matt wethers could hardly walk after he came off but came out and rode a great last corner to pass 2 others.it will be said by others but if score had been the other way around would it have been called off after ht 10 i dont think so.the real p*** take was glasgow walking on track to claim a victory which could and should have gone either way.i agree the pic shows how awfull and dangerous it could have been but why wait till ht 10 which was only stopped because the glasgow rider came off on his own on first corner no where near the hole. 

Not being there I can't comment too much but as been said before, if referee and Newcastle were happy with the track then it wouldn't have been called off

6 minutes ago, HectorRacing said:

On a random note, how could newcastle fix this? Or what would you do if you ran this team? 

i wish i had the money to start afresh, plus need to get fans back onside. I envy how other teams are close to theirs and have good away followings/etc 

I posted on the Eastbourne thread about what I think the two tier structure should look like but I don't think Newcastle promoters could influence that. The majority seem happy that they have Chris Harris and Scott Nicholls available to them and I'm sure those riders and the rest are more than happy with being able to double up.

One thing I have bleated on about  to the point of boring myself is that there should have been a restriction on the number of 8.00+ riders to one per team. It was obvious there weren't enough to go around and the heat format is such that you can't compete without one. The promoters should have lobbied for that change at least. The richest teams would still be at the top of the table (as they'd sign the best 7.00 riders but at least the teams would have had more of a chance of being more evenly matched and the product better as a result.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jaizer said:

I know it's volunteers etc etc but when there's been 2 people on here from opposing sides saying it was total BS then you have to ask questions as to what the agenda was by putting that out there

They are making me for sorry for the guy. It is not on!! I demand a retraction! ;):P

If he has complained I'm sure they'll look into it, as when I'm reading comments I expect it to be at least 90% truthful! Especially when riders families could well be reading it.