British Speedway Forum
lisa-colette

Newcastle vs Glasgow 8/5/22 4pm??

21 minutes ago, Bandits4eva said:

Bends 3 & 4 last week caused issues… may also explain why everyone hugged the white line as much! The only one brave enough to come off it was Bomber in heat 15, which was awarded to Starke despite it looking the other way round… never mind! I seriously hope that it is sorted… 

Jeesis,,, ye still banging on about that???

Obviously last week everything was bad, even the referee, but still no complaints about the overpriced holiday camp lager from any of your lot!!! ;)

Also, a think our only available days were/are Sunday or Monday. So Monday option would be PL only and might have staffing problems although a think it could possibly be used as an off night if needed be.

Edited by ruffdiamond

17 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

Jeesis,,, ye still banging on about that???

Obviously last week everything was bad, even the referee, but still no complaints about the overpriced holiday camp lager from any of your lot!!! ;)

Also, a think our only available days were/are Sunday or Monday. So Monday option would be PL only and might have staffing problems although a think it could possibly be used as an off night if needed be.

Not in the dark tho 

• Haha 1

According to Peterborough BV thread Tom's confirmed he's riding tonight :t:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Justgotmecpc said:

Not in the dark tho 

Oh aye, that was only up until last year, forgot about that one, cheers.

1 hour ago, cinderfella said:

So Newcastle Promotion have commented

"Grant said: “We do have issues with drainage with the track, and also have issues with an old kerb from years ago coming through the surface from below.

“We know that, but tonight (Sunday) was absolutely no worse than it had been over the last few weeks, so there was no need for any of this tonight."

If they knew the kerb was coming through it was clearly an issue and the meeting should never have been run in the interests of safety.

Rob Grant's butchering skills are showing through as he is obviously talking mince.

If it was dangerous before the meeting started then the referee would of called it off before Heat 1 and not when he did. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Racin Jason 72 said:

The track has obviously been neglected for several years and is badly worn. I’m sure the track curator would have been asking for more shale to build it back up but I suspect would have been told they can’t afford it. 
now they can’t afford not to replace the track surface. 

And you know the financial circumstances of Newcastle speedway How? 

1 minute ago, Discofever said:

If it was dangerous before the meeting started then the referee would of called it off before Heat 1 and not when he did. 

But if it wasn't showing pre-meeting would the referee have known about it?

We all know tracks can deteriorate as meetings progress but when you know there is something as dangerous as a concrete curb at risk of being exposed you  take preventative measures to rectify that beforehand and don't just cross your fingers and hope for the best while gambling with riders' lives.

I'm sure H&S must come into play.

• Like 2

Just now, cinderfella said:

But if it wasn't showing pre-meeting would the referee have known about it?

We all know tracks can deteriorate as meetings progress but when you know there is something as dangerous as a concrete curb at risk of being exposed you  take preventative measures to rectify that beforehand and don't just cross your fingers and hope for the best while gambling with riders' lives.

I'm sure H&S must come into play.

At the end of the day it is what it is, it’s happened now. No matter who calls who on here or whose at fault it won’t change last night. It’s the going forward and sorting things out that is important. 
Only the people who were involved last night know exactly what happened and what was said. It’s like chinese whispers on here 

• Like 3

Got to wonder why the SCB allowed the meeting to go ahead having already deemed it necessary for work to be carried out on the track?

Safety is paramount and you have to wonder if financial considerations have, wrongly, been given priority?

• Like 1

Health & Safety........just a thought :rolleyes:

Before tracks are allowed to start each season the base of the track should be inspected by an appropriate licensed official. Just like a car having a mot.

And like a mot, any necessary work to be carried out before it is issued a certificate to show it is fit for purpose.

This will come at a cost but doesn't everything involved with health and safety e.g. air fences.

I don't know wot inspections are actually made with the track other than it's surface before a meeting starts.

Maybe they need to use Tatum's dirtometer and a scanner that archeologist's use! :D

Edited by Turnip
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Discofever said:

Trouble is....I think nearly all of speedway referees have never rode a speedway bike and they haven't got a scooby about what's dangerous and what isn't?

They nearly always act on what 'the loudest shout' is from either, or both clubs....

The main criteria to becoming a speedway ref is...... to be willing to travel the length and breadth of the country any day, any time,  for basically  p#ss all !

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

Trouble is....I think nearly all of speedway referees have never rode a speedway bike and they haven't got a scooby about what's dangerous and what isn't?

They nearly always act on what 'the loudest shout' is from either, or both clubs....

The main criteria to becoming a speedway ref is...... to be willing to travel the length and breadth of the country any day, any time,  for basically  p#ss all !

Especially when training when you are required to visit EVERY track at your own expense.

• Like 1

Thought I may aswell add my thoughts every f**** else is, firstly the track, yes the state of bends 1-2 going off that pic is unacceptable and needs sorting which we are lead to believe is going to happen, even a blind man can see that, speaking of visually impaired ppl, cami browns comments of only being one overtake all match, I think you must have had your head in the rules looking for ways of getting the match called off only after heat ten mind and while your leading Wright wethers howarth ostergaard all produced overtaking during the match. Which brings me onto the idiot who is jye etheridge comments about closing fellow tracks down are neither helpful or very clever, try thinking before opening your gob eh lad just a thought, rant nearly over for the riders from both teams who gave it a proper go gave us a cracking meeting of racing on yes at times a difficult track 

Forgot to mention Mr Cook, I'm not his biggest fan but at no point last night did he look like he had lost it with his temper, it was a hard move from Wright which I beleive the pair sorted amicably in pits 

Over to the promotion to get it sorted and finish the season and yes jye sorry but hopefully racing for many seasons to follow 

Edited by andys
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Joseq7 said:

I'm not fundamentally disagreeing with you but I must say I do enjoy a wee bit of colour commentary from the texter too. 

It gives me more of a feel for the momentum of a meeting.

And of course I usually expect the comments to be a bit biased but *if* their reporting is factually inaccurate and defaming then that's not in the correct spirit. 

That is the only issue I have. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, geoff100 said:

The point am saying the hole didnt just appear so why not complain aftet ht 5 ,6,7,whatever,2 ways to look at it was mr brown unhappy with the track and feared for his riders,or here we are 2 points in front poor track lets kick up a stink,cleaver manager or a chancer,not for me to say ;)

The track is known for breaking up in the same area. Jonny Swales had the track in probably the best condition it could be but Granty's biggest mistake was letting Jonny go. Let's face it the track is your product. As far as last night goes we gave Glasgow the excuse to complain and they made the most of it as they realised they could have quite easily lost the meeting. I.m not particularly keen on them anyway as they have an arrogant attitude which comes from the big galoot of a team manager. Regardless though we need to desperately sort the track out as the natives are getting restless and i know of 2 people who won't be back to spend their hard earned cash.

• Like 3