British Speedway Forum
lisa-colette

Newcastle vs Glasgow 8/5/22 4pm??

1 hour ago, ruffdiamond said:

'Perfectly',,, so by looks of it, the old kerb stones were lifted out of they're foundations and filled in with shale. If you see that as 'perfect' then so be it.

What's that saying about putting lipstick on a pig?

Suppose its akin to having a tooth filled, the filling won't last forever and will eventually come out and am sure the dentist knows that, it's a root problem.  ;)

As far as finger pointing and so on, its not good,,, but there seems to be many ready with they're knives out to stick them in. Maybe some bad blood around?

If the dentist did some work but you decided to not look after the work then it’s likely it won’t last very long no matter if it’s a short term fix.

No bad blood from me but seeing a lot of bad leadership and decision making and I just wait for the next plea that the club is struggling financially.

I’m not affiliated with the old promotion but it like the government blaming the current mess in this country on COVID, it’s not the cause but a factor and an easy excuse to hide poor leadership. It’s very easy to point fingers at a promotion that brought speedway back to Newcastle and kept it afloat for 20 odd years when things start going wrong but the club has majority struggled this last couple of seasons both on and off the track when those who have held the fort for years have moved on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Phil83 said:

How can you blame rob or Dave for the track when the kerb was removed when Jesper Olsen rode at Newcastle not when rob and Dave had anything to do with it the issue was noticed and was being fixed this weekend anyway which was communicated in the program on page one and the track was short of shale for years not just the last two years

I don’t blame Rob or Dave. The work was done years ago and the track has coped fine for years. The issue is the lack of investment into the material and the fact the the base of the track has been exposed as a consequence.

The work to correct the track will put additional shale down to make the base more secure, that is not the fault of the old promotion which is why I made the response in the first place.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cinderfella said:

So just when did Brough Park become Rough Park?

I remember visiting in the 70s to see the great Diamonds team with the Owen Brothers overseen by the late Ian Thomas and the track never seemed to be problematic.

Likewise in the early 2000s.

So is it down to neglect, poor maintenance and mis- management or is the old lady just starting to show her age?

Maybe it's because riders back then were more adaptable to different surfaces and conditions along with less powerful machinery 

Edited by Triple.H.
Predictive text did me again
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Viper said:

If the dentist did some work but you decided to not look after the work then it’s likely it won’t last very long no matter if it’s a short term fix.

No bad blood from me but seeing a lot of bad leadership and decision making and I just wait for the next plea that the club is struggling financially.

I’m not affiliated with the old promotion but it like the government blaming the current mess in this country on COVID, it’s not the cause but a factor and an easy excuse to hide poor leadership. It’s very easy to point fingers at a promotion that brought speedway back to Newcastle and kept it afloat for 20 odd years when things start going wrong but the club has majority struggled this last couple of seasons both on and off the track when those who have held the fort for years have moved on.

So that begs the question,,, what was used in the root canal filling and was the guys told/advised on how to look after it?,,, would a good sticky strong toothpaste work. ;)

3 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

So that begs the question,,, what was used in the root canal filling and was the guys told/advised on how to look after it?,,, would a good sticky strong toothpaste work. ;)

Or a good track man and some investment!

Edited by Viper
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Viper said:

Or a good track man and some investment!

Not a dentist? ;)

1 hour ago, ruffdiamond said:

Hmmm, whose pointing fingers at who? :blink:

It’s not finger pointing it giving the facts the same as we are restricted on when track work can be conducted also a fact I’m not into bull rubbish 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Triple.H. said:

Maybe it's because riders back then were more adaptable to different surfaces and conditions along with less powerful machinery 

Won't argue with that.

Good argument for going back to 2 valve uprights

• Like 2

Last time i went to glasgow had to stand for 90 mins while they sorted the track out before being called off (sure was against leicester) reading todays "star" pity mr brown didnt let newcastle have the same time to repair the track on sunday.The phrase i would have wanted it called off even if we wernt 2 in front is just a p*** take

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Phil83 said:

The club can’t be blamed for the drainage when the dogs won’t allow any drainage around the centre green so keep pointing fingers and I will shoot you down when you have no clue 

There has been a problem with drainage for a number of years, standing water has always been a problem at Brough and access has always been a problem.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Phil83 said:

It’s not finger pointing it giving the facts the same as we are restricted on when track work can be conducted also a fact I’m not into bull rubbish 

Yeah, am well aware of the constraints placed upon the promotion to actually get a meeting on.

9 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

Last time i went to glasgow had to stand for 90 mins while they sorted the track out before being called off (sure was against leicester) reading todays "star" pity mr brown didnt let newcastle have the same time to repair the track on sunday.The phrase i would have wanted it called off even if we wernt 2 in front is just a p*** take

Maybe it was because the referee took the decision the track was dangerous.

If there was concrete curbs showing through putting more shale on top was hardly going to fix that properly.

Edited by cinderfella
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, cinderfella said:

Maybe it was because the referee took the decision the track was dangerous.

If there was concrete curbs showing through putting more shale on top was hardly going to fix that properly.

They wernt given the chance ,brown shouting were going for the play offs newcastle arnt as have said is a p*** take,if i was him i would be more concerened about how craig cook is riding he looked awful on sunday bad track or not!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

Unfortunately the track man had 3 or 4 chances to sort it and not once did anyone go near 2nd bend to try and sort anything!!

21 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

They wernt given the chance ,brown shouting were going for the play offs newcastle arnt as have said is a p*** take,if i was him i would be more concerened about how craig cook is riding he looked awful on sunday bad track or not!

I assume you were obviously involved in the conversations between the referee, clerk of the course, riders, promoters and managers then?

Fact is Newcastle Promotion knew about the kerbs and postponed one meeting so the SCB track experts could sort the problem. That being the case NO meetings should have taken place until the work had been completed. Safety should always come first.

As for how Craig Cook rode that is down to the rider himself to sort and certainly not fans who have never ridden a speedway bike.

You can complain all you want about Glasgow riders and management but the truth is the problem lies closer to home as plenty of Diamond fans have stated on here.

And for your information I am not a fan of the Glasgow manager though credit given where due - he does know how to photobomb at any opportunity :)