British Speedway Forum
lisa-colette

Newcastle vs Glasgow 8/5/22 4pm??

3 minutes ago, Winditon said:

The track is known for breaking up in the same area. Jonny Swales had the track in probably the best condition it could be but Granty's biggest mistake was letting Jonny go. Let's face it the track is your product. As far as last night goes we gave Glasgow the excuse to complain and they made the most of it as they realised they could have quite easily lost the meeting. I.m not particularly keen on them anyway as they have an arrogant attitude which comes from the big galoot of a team manager. Regardless though we need to desperately sort the track out as the natives are getting restless and i know of 2 people who won't be back to spend their hard earned cash.

What was the reason he let him go again? I forget...

Honestly I thought the track was the smoothest it's been all year last night, but then again I get the best view of the 3rd/4th bend, which looked very smooth. The picture that's circulating is NOT acceptable, however it looks as if it was dug out by whoever took the photo first, which will have exaggerated it much worse than it really was. Please Rob, sort this club out, you came in at the final hour to save us, but why? If this is how you're going to run the show, I'd rather be remembered for who the club was before, not the sh*tshow it's turning into now.

It's a massive shame when we've got the backbone of a cracking team already, with a decent number 1 and a reserve who could actually score a point, we'd be a cracking, hard charging team full of proper racers... But these issues with the track are getting embarrassing now... I understand how little time we get, but we've got all day Sunday next week now to get it fixed, or else I fear it could be the end for the club...

Also, Jye Etheridge, what a knob... Gone way down in my expectations...

Also also, why are Glasgow blaming the track for Tom Brennan's hand injury when the crash he was involved in was first bend bunching, and a rather awkward looking fall, that could have happened on any track big or small, rough or smooth...? They love to hear themselves Glasgow like... They used to be one of my favourite clubs until all the idiots took over

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jaizer said:

According to Peterborough BV thread Tom's confirmed he's riding tonight :t:

Would just like to thank you all for the wishes after my crash yesterday at Newcastle. At first we had a bit of scare being told it was a possible broken scaphoid but happy to say it was a scare only and shouldn’t be a problem for tonight. Glad the boys managed to get the win!
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Diamonds85 said:

The picture that's circulating is NOT acceptable, however it looks as if it was dug out by whoever took the photo first, which will have exaggerated it much worse than it really was.

And the Newcastle management never noticed the photographer spending considerable time digging a ditch?

• Haha 1

Imagine releasing a press release thst says they know its s**t but its been s**t for weeks and thinking thats a good argument!! Newcastle are a disgrace!! Jye Etheridges option 2 sounds like the best one 

6 minutes ago, tyretrax said:

And the Newcastle management never noticed the photographer spending considerable time digging a ditch?

When there was a crowd of people looking at the track just before it was called off, you could see people digging at the track. The massive rut would have been there, but covered and filled with dirt, you can see on the picture where it has been dug out from under the dirt. Again, I am not suggesting that the track was in an acceptable state, but the picture will have greatly exaggerated just how bad it was... Bad, but not THAT bad...

Either way I'm glad it was cancelled and the club is getting a public humiliation at the minute, one of these days Rob will open his eyes and do something about the track.....

4 hours ago, secsy1 said:

In the Speedway Star a few weeks ago Craig mentioned about his struggles and stated 

2 sides here, the texter is entitled to their opinion but in doing so can unknowingly antagonise mentioned person. Also previously knowing the history of the rider was it necessary or just trying to upset him?

Other side is knowing his own fallibility should he be reading these posts?

I have no idea what happened but reading the texts on updates it does lead everyone who isn't their.

Hope Tom recovers quickly, most exciting British rider at the moment and if the track was so bad so early why oh why continue it for so long.

Speedway does need Newcastle and every help from other clubs should be offered to facilitate a decent track.

Another lost track means less riders jobs and chances that our sport will disappear to the annals of history.

Good Post 

1 hour ago, Discofever said:

And you know the financial circumstances of Newcastle speedway How? 

Coz your promoter threatened to close last year due to financial circumstances. And had a go fund me page which I contributed to 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Diamonds85 said:

When there was a crowd of people looking at the track just before it was called off, you could see people digging at the track. The massive rut would have been there, but covered and filled with dirt, you can see on the picture where it has been dug out from under the dirt. Again, I am not suggesting that the track was in an acceptable state, but the picture will have greatly exaggerated just how bad it was... Bad, but not THAT bad...

Either way I'm glad it was cancelled and the club is getting a public humiliation at the minute, one of these days Rob will open his eyes and do something about the track.....

If a rut can be uncovered that easily by a foot think what a rear wheel at speed is going to do it.

The consequences of the extra drive gained from hitting a solid concrete base could be disastrous on so many levels.

It doesn't matter what team you support or at whatever track this occurred the simple truth is it was dangerous and the track was not fit for racing.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, tyretrax said:

The camera never lies.

Have you never heard of crop photo?

1 minute ago, cinderfella said:

If a rut can be uncovered that easily by a foot think what a rear wheel at speed is going to do it.

The consequences of the extra drive gained from hitting a solid concrete base could be disastrous on so many levels.

It doesn't matter what team you support or at whatever track this occurred the simple truth is it was dangerous and the track was not fit for racing.

I agree... The track was unacceptable and not fit for racing, which I have said myself. I just think that the picture taken makes it look a lot worse than it actually is, typically blown out of proportion, which is when no speedway club needs at the minute. But as I say, hopefully this is something that will open Rob's eyes... Hopefully...?

6 minutes ago, Diamonds85 said:

I agree... The track was unacceptable and not fit for racing, which I have said myself. I just think that the picture taken makes it look a lot worse than it actually is, typically blown out of proportion, which is when no speedway club needs at the minute. But as I say, hopefully this is something that will open Rob's eyes... Hopefully...?

Perhaps his backers will open them for him.!!!

3 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Perhaps his backers will open them for him.!!!

By pulling out... Surely the backers have say with where their money is spent do they not? I would suggest the track is more important than a new number 1 now...

I'm sure it's been discussed before and there's a reason why not, but why can't we drop down into the National League. The racing is better down there imo, you get to see some of the best up and coming young riders and lots of new faces... We could put a hell of a NL team together

Max Clegg or James Wright at 1

Archie Freeman

Josh Embleton

Jack Shimelt at reserve

Likes of Ben Hopwood, Connor Coles etc

Danny Phillips in the league he should be in

I'd much rather be competitive in the NL and see all these kids throwing their bikes around, rather than struggling for number 1s and seeing 'superstars' in their own minds anyway, sulking and giving up after 3 laps...

It would be so much cheaper for the riders too... Even if the rent is the same... Plus the food van would probably support the club on its own!!

20 minutes ago, soupy said:

Have you never heard of crop photo?

17 minutes ago, Diamonds85 said:

Must say, a likened it to the Cheddar Gorge and it's not good.

Looks like it's the old kerb foundation, the track must've been altered many years ago so how come it's only came to light recently,,, its obvious that someone must have known it was there. For it go for many years without notice is surprising. A cynic might think someone is out to get him?

It's there now and needs fixing, any idea of how it can be done?

Edited by ruffdiamond

Got to admit thinking about the state of the track wasn’t my biggest issue on the night … I was more concerned if the referee ever found the Clerk of the Course and what was the final cost of his phone bill 

• Haha 1