British Speedway Forum
lisa-colette

Newcastle vs Glasgow 8/5/22 4pm??

2 minutes ago, KEITH M said:

Got to admit thinking about the state of the track wasn’t my biggest issue on the night … I was more concerned if the referee ever found the Clerk of the Course and what was the final cost of his phone bill 

Most landline calls are free now, as long as you don't go over the hour. ;)

5 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

Must say, a likened it to the Cheddar Gorge and it's not good.

Looks like it's the old kerb foundation, the track must've been altered many years ago so how come it's only came to light recently,,, its obvious that someone must have known it was there. For it go for many years without notice is surprising. A cynic might think someone is out to get him?

It's there now and needs fixing, any idea of how it can be done?

Probably less and less dirt being put on year after year and it's slowly and surely been eroded down to the core... 20 tonnes was put on the other week, but that's not very much in the grand scheme of things really... When was the last time before that any dirt was added to the track. Stinks of cheapskating... From this promotion and the previous... If that curb from decades ago has suddenly came back through, it must have been ignored for many years now...

It needs to be dug out surely and packed back in with new material, once all the concrete is gone... But that ain't a Sunday afternoon job... Perhaps it should have been done over the winter... The dogs need to let us in for a bit more time I think...

2 minutes ago, Diamonds85 said:

It needs to be dug out surely and packed back in with new material, once all the concrete is gone... But that ain't a Sunday afternoon job... Perhaps it should have been done over the winter... The dogs need to let us in for a bit more time I think...

Does it need to be dug out completely and/or will it be part of/still joined to the track base? Could it not be nibbled away at with a grinder or two to take the ridges away and taken down to a smoothish level?

10 minutes ago, bringbackHalifax said:

Nice of Jye whatsisname to comment though he is biased. To progress in speedway he needs all tracks to close except the 2 he can ride Belle Vue sometimes and Berwick.

I cant find his comment now, has he deleted it?

I've only been to Newcastle couple times, but if the made where that curb is the edge of track looks like your be losing good few meters of racing room make passing incredibly difficult

4 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

I've only been to Newcastle couple times, but if the made where that curb is the edge of track looks like your be losing good few meters of racing room make passing incredibly difficult

A think the track used to be 330 mts, now 300 mts. So am thinking the length that was lost was by bringing the bends in towards the centre green. 

• Thanks 1

Think the only way to solve the track problems, is to dig the old curb and concrete out put road stone in roll it hard and fresh shale on top, but don't think it can be done in one day?

1 hour ago, Racin Jason 72 said:

Coz your promoter threatened to close last year due to financial circumstances. And had a go fund me page which I contributed to 

And as your reply states that was 2021 and this is 2022 and unless you are the accountant of Newcastle speedway then I don’t see how you can comment on their finances. 

15 hours ago, geoff100 said:

Slight disagree as last glasgow man to fall came off first bend before the rut.

ht 11 fall was caused by riders entering the first bend together trying to avoid the concrete rut on the inside which was about 1.5/2 mtrs from the inside line and ran from just before mid corner to the exit hence why they ended up bursting the air bag right at the pit gate ,Glasgow did complain at ht8 after the  same thing happened at the start and wanted some work done on the corner they did grade what shale there was into the rut but by the time ht 11 it was beyond filling and was really exposed if the concrete was smooth i  don’t think it would have bothered riders much but the rut was about 40/50mm deep in some of it 

5 hours ago, Turnip said:

Health & Safety........just a thought :rolleyes:

Before tracks are allowed to start each season the base of the track should be inspected by an appropriate licensed official. Just like a car having a mot.

And like a mot, any necessary work to be carried out before it is issued a certificate to show it is fit for purpose.

This will come at a cost but doesn't everything involved with health and safety e.g. air fences.

I don't know wot inspections are actually made with the track other than it's surface before a meeting starts.

Maybe they need to use Tatum's dirtometer and a scanner that archeologist's use! :D

With some tracks not having ‘ a base ‘ just how exactly do you inspect something that isn’t there ?

4 hours ago, tyretrax said:

And the Newcastle management never noticed the photographer spending considerable time digging a ditch?

How many fans actually come to a meeting carrying a shovel?.

• Haha 1