British Speedway Forum
lisa-colette

Newcastle vs Glasgow 8/5/22 4pm??

1 minute ago, scoobydoo said:

Was the Newcastle supporters numbers down as the football team was playing live on sky

you're generous. they appeared to be there as spectators for most of the 90 mins.  I didn't see many of them actually playing :cheers:

1 minute ago, tyretrax said:

Do you think the riders can check every inch of the track? Maybe they should have picks and shovels to check it.

For some reason Kenny mckinna at shawfield has come to mind when I read that. Used everything but a pick and shovel lol

2 minutes ago, scoobydoo said:

Was the Newcastle supporters numbers down as the football team was playing live on sky

Is that what you call it playing…

2 minutes ago, tyretrax said:

Do you think the riders can check every inch of the track? Maybe they should have picks and shovels to check it.

What would Kelv's dirtometer have revealed????  Looks like they've discovered part of Hadrian's Wall!!!

• Haha 4

40 minutes ago, HectorRacing said:

Thats the thing with social media if your in the public eye. Someone will always say something negative, just have to ignore it. 

Which is what he said he was going to do now. Didn't last long! 

26 minutes ago, StevePark said:

Taken from this week's Raceday Magazine (the Dave Tinning column):

"Next Sunday the 15th May there is no meeting as there will be extensive work done to our track by our track curators and by the Track Advisors at the SCB.  We have a problem with the first and second bends as there is no drainage and the water is constantly lying there creating a number of soft spots and with limited access to the track, we are taking this free date to hopefully sort the issue out."

So they obviously knew that there was a problem with the track but choose to run a meeting on a substandard track. If you ran a business providing a product that is not fit for purpose you will not be operating much longer..

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Which is what he said he was going to do now. Didn't last long! 

What did he say?

12 minutes ago, enotian said:

have you got their number? We should give them a call.

You are not wrong about embarrassing though. The trouble is that once the Diamonds close there is every chance they'll not be allowed to return.  Which at this point might be a good thing but a massive shame.

I haven't.

They'll be allowed to return as the Sport in this country cant afford to turn down clubs imo. As long as the club is run professionally with suitable conditions then everything should be fine imo.

12 minutes ago, HectorRacing said:

There seem to be more glasgow fans then us newc ones

Most Diamonds fans have chucked in the towel now imo.

7 minutes ago, screm said:

If only it were that easy, Grant was ready to walk away, please remember that. If Grant walks again, its difficult to see Newcastle Speedway surviving, which would be a great shame.

Judging by the attendances at Home I don't think many Newcastle fans would mind at this point in all honesty. It really does seem like most Diamonds fans have chucked the towel in already.

11 minutes ago, scoobydoo said:

From my view, car park was full, but loads of glasgow fans. Dunno how many newc fans. 

2 minutes ago, TTT said:

I haven't.

They'll be allowed to return as the Sport in this country cant afford to turn down clubs imo. As long as the club is run professionally with suitable conditions then everything should be fine imo.

Most Diamonds fans have chucked in the towel now imo.

Judging by the attendances at Home I don't think many Newcastle fans would mind at this point in all honesty. It really does seem like most Diamonds fans have chucked the towel in already.

We should spend the food van takings on a new num1 if we can, that was busy

Well it was not a bad meeting and after seeing the photo I am not suprised the meeting got called off.I do not know what cami brown was watching as was more than one pass.

22 minutes ago, screm said:

If only it were that easy, Grant was ready to walk away, please remember that. If Grant walks again, its difficult to see Newcastle Speedway surviving, which would be a great shame.

Totally agree,cut some slack,of course you don,t want the track to close,Leicester are having problems with their track as well and even with it being done,things were still bad last night.give the promotion every chance to try and put this right for goodness sake.

• Thanks 1

Must admit I have seen worse meetings at Brough this year and I was surprised to see the extent of track damage in the pictures. It explains the number of first/second bend falls although that end of the track has appeared patchy all year. I don’t know if there were concerns about the track before racing began or not. But when the first call was made from for the clerk of the course to contact the referee Roy Clarke said “I wonder how many times we’ll hear that tonight?” it suggested something might not be right.

2 decent races in my opinion. Ulle going round the outside of Starke on bend 4 (the first outside pass I’ve seen at Brough this year) and heat 10 with Howarth and Basso passing each other before Wethers nipped up the inside to pip them both. Wethers does seem to be the master at getting underneath anyone who moves a millimetre off the white line coming off bend 4. Hope he’s not too bruised after his off.

I saw Cook talking to Wright after they got a bit close in heat 5. I was expecting fireworks - there weren’t any. Couldn’t tell if Craig was complaining or asking James if he was alright. All very civilised in the circumstances. Tonight’s updates do seem to have a slight hint of home bias. 

Hopefully everything gets sorted next week both on and off the track. I suspect speedway needs Newcastle rather more than Newcastle needs speedway.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dave_minall said:

looking at this I'm not surprised it was called off.

FB-IMG-1652033276052.jpg

Wow, thats fkg shocking.

• Like 1