British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BOBBATH

Chum Taylor

Chum recently passed his 95th birthday- King of Western Australia (Claremont) speedway. I got to see him ride at the very end of his career-in 1965 for Poole and 1966 for CH. Any memories from forumlanders of Chum. His son Glyn Taylor also rode in the 70's I think. Another World Final vet passes a milestone, just after Eric Boothroyd. I hope they both have a few laps still to go!!

• Like 3

I recall reading the rider profiles in one of Ernie Hancock's publications back in the 60's. Each rider's likes and dislikes were included but not in Chum Taylor's case as Ernie wrote that that his dislikes would have filled a publication of that size :rolleyes:

I looked up a few stat's and see that he started riding in 1948 and won the Australian championship 16 years later with a world final appearance in 1960 in between. 

Apparently when he was allocated to Oxford (unbeknown to himself) he said that he wouldn't have bothered catching the ship to the UK. He had hoped that he would continue at Southampton but he did settle down at Cowley but I believe only rode the one season for "The Cheetahs"?

I think that may have been 1963 ?

• Thanks 1

I remember supporting Chum Taylor, Mick Holland and all at Cardiff Speedway, Penarth Road but as I must have been only about 4 or 5  years old the details are not very clear. I have followed Speedway and Grasstrack in one way or another ever since.

There's a Welsh connection here, Glyn, Chum's son was born in Cardiff whilst Chum sas racing there in th early fifties.

Hi Split, thanks for posting that link, it was a most interesting read.  Good to see a photo of the old Cardiff track also!!!!!

On the link from Split there is a photo of three all time greats -from left to right- Dick Bradley, Chum, Brian Crutcher- three world finalists all still with us  Dick Bradley, one of my favourites is now 98-many happy times watching Dick as one of the Newport heat leaders- a real gent who hopefully still has a few laps yet to go!!

There is still a road off Penarth Road called Stadium Close where Cardiff Speedway was, by coincidence my father worked for Hill's Transport in the 60's whose yard must have been partially on the old stadium. Queensway Meadows Stadium, Newport is now unfortunately also a transport company yard.  Going off subject a bit.

Had the  pleasure of meeting Chum about 20 years ago at Oxford. I was a young fan of his in 53 and 54. His book " A Dangerous Life " is  good reading and sometimes crops up on Ebay. 

3 minutes ago, Knowle said:

Had the  pleasure of meeting Chum about 20 years ago at Oxford. I was a young fan of his in 53 and 54. His book " A Dangerous Life " is  good reading and sometimes crops up on Ebay. 

Yeah, I don't have too many biographies, but that is a good one...