British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

Czech GP round 3 Prague Saturday May 28th

Finally after at least  2 attempts Speedway GP have got their captions correct- It`s pretty poor that this is happening every GP- it`s not rocket science !!!

Zmarzlik  44

Janowski  43

Madsen  40

Michelsen  33

Woffinden  32

Doyle  31

Fricke  30

Lindgren  30

Vaculik  29

Thomsen 24

Edited by racers and royals

19 minutes ago, KIRKYLANE said:

Only one word to describe the meeting…..BORING

Most people accept that Marketa is a very difficult track to pass on.I have seen some good meetings there in the past.

Sadly the Czech federation keep the SGP at Marketa even though the Pardubice track yields great racing at a stadium that can hold more than Marketa.

When I first went to Pardubice for the Golden Helmet I stayed in Pardubice. Later I stayed in Prague and got the train to Pardubice combining the beauty of Prague and seeing the meetings in Pardubice.

Dreadful advert for the Sport

I like the Teterow track so hopefully we will see an entertaining meeting.

And yet the Marketa was at best half full, to be fair I am surprised it’s that busy, it’s been utter shyte for at least 20 years.

• Like 1

Congratulations to Martin Vaculik who seemed to be a popular winner. Hate being negative but even the fireworks were a bit tame compared to previous years :( At least we are now in a cracking bar with great beer :drink:

Nearly forgot to mention Dan Bewley. 6th was a good effort, never mind the bike problem.

Edited by Tactical Joker

42 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

And yet the Marketa was at best half full, to be fair I am surprised it’s that busy, it’s been utter shyte for at least 20 years.

Not surprised at it only being half full… was tempted to go this year but didn’t (haven’t watched tonight yet - though sounds like I should wait and watch paint dry instead). From memory when we looked the tickets we normally book were around £40… when Warsaw was £20 for a decent seat it’s no surprise people are beginning to vote with their feet. Time for Pardubice.

Think ill Wait for the Monday ‘highlights’ this week

4 minutes ago, tomhaines said:

Not surprised at it only being half full… was tempted to go this year but didn’t (haven’t watched tonight yet - though sounds like I should wait and watch paint dry instead). From memory when we looked the tickets we normally book were around £40… when Warsaw was £20 for a decent seat it’s no surprise people are beginning to vote with their feet. Time for Pardubice.

Think ill Wait for the Monday ‘highlights’ this week

The Dave Rowe voiced highlights programme on Tuesday starts at 11.15pm on Eurosport 1

Edited by racers and royals

16 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

The Dave Rowe voiced highlights programme on Tuesday starts at 11.15pm on Eurosport 1

Tuesday it is then 

1 hour ago, szkocjasid said:

Not sure I understand that comment, if it's the top 15 riders in the world, someone has to finish last. Doesn't mean that rider isn't works class!

1 hour ago, chunky said:

Couldn't have said that any better...

It kind of does if you're reliant on wildcard picks to maintain a SGP spot. 

I think people need to be a bit more respectful but I don't think it's unfair to say Lambert isn't good enough. 

I said 4/5yrs ago that Lambert will be another Chris Harris & I still won't change my mind from that. 

Saying all that, I'll not right him off just yet from a top 6 spot but he has to get his finger out quick, he won't get the wildcard again imo

Only two fifths of the field can qualify for the next year automatically so I guess the other three fifths aren't good enough either. Probably better to see where Lambert ends up at the end of the season rather than pick him apart after every round. I'd say he's probably exceeded Harris already by scoring double figures pretty much every week in the Polish Extraliga.

As for the speedway, absolute dross. High time the GP series was raced on the best tracks rather than being picked by venues, the series is becoming stale. I used to never miss a race in a whole season but couldn't care less sometimes nowadays if I watch a round or not. 

• Like 1

It was a poor meeting , but I have watched speedway at the Marketa Stadium for over 40 years and can count decent meetings on one finger, at a push !….dig out some old World of Sport World Team Cups for some evidence……I am surprised this venue continues to get big meetings as they are never a great advert for the sport ..I’d be surprised if Discovery continue to think this is a good venue for future years

2 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

It kind of does if you're reliant on wildcard picks to maintain a SGP spot. 

I think people need to be a bit more respectful but I don't think it's unfair to say Lambert isn't good enough. 

I said 4/5yrs ago that Lambert will be another Chris Harris & I still won't change my mind from that. 

Saying all that, I'll not right him off just yet from a top 6 spot but he has to get his finger out quick, he won't get the wildcard again imo

Because if the Russians being banned, this year we have 4 x seeded riders, 3 x qualifiers, 7 x wildcards & the european champ. It's far easier to get a wild card than qualify these days!

It doe not get better at Marketa does it? Racing was poor, very poor, this year. The riders are up for it, but if the track doesn’t come to them it’s a bore. 
I was particularly impressed with Dan Bewley. We know the potential is there, but I thought last night he released some of it. IMO he rode intelligently, making the right moves in the right way at the right time. He looked different last night, a move obviously in the right direction.               
On the other hand, We know Robert Lambert has the potential, but it is as if his thought process is stuck in a rut. It could be said the track last night was not helping him, true, but Dan was more inventive with his moves and it worked.         
Looking forward to next weeks GP.

I took the 12 month subscription with Discovery+ when the half price offer was on, £30 for the 12 month, good value just for the Speedway GPs, but they are covering loads of sports, WSBk, loads of films and documentaries, but having difficulty getting the logic of negotiating their program planner. Just can’t get my head around any logic to find a program. My biggest grumble with it. Coverage of GPs is really good, IMO

That was very boring compared to the first two GPs

13 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Zmarzlik fails again. Great stuff.

Yeah, I think it shows that once the Poles get off the motorway tracks and have to use throttle control their lack of riding rough tracks shows through,  makes me wonder if he would have been as dominant over the last few years had the GP,s not been predominantly on Polish tracks.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Ajr said:

Yeah, I think it shows that once the Poles get off the motorway tracks and have to use throttle control their lack of riding rough tracks shows through,  makes me wonder if he would have been as dominant over the last few years had the GP,s not been predominantly on Polish tracks.

Maybe the U21 the night before also proved that. But still we want a spectacle and a great night of speedway, rather than just a track that trips up the top Poles