British Speedway Forum
Petecc

Double barrelled names

There was a pre-war rider, South African I think, called Cecil de la Porte.

1 hour ago, Al Stewart said:

There was a pre-war rider, South African I think, called Cecil de la Porte.

There was, but surely a name like de la Porte isn't double barrelled ? It isn't two different surnames put together. Just a long surname

van der Valk or le Tissier etc wouldn't be considered double barrelled, but Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink would be, as it is two family names

Even some of the Danish ones are somewhat iffy, as they don't seem to be official names, and it seems they can just swap around from Jesper B. Jensen to Monberg or Mikkel B Jensen to Mikkel Bech etc. Whether they actually go through an official process of changing their name, i am not sure. But it seems often on official documents only one surname is used

Edited by iris123

14 hours ago, iris123 said:

There was, but surely a name like de la Porte isn't double barrelled ? It isn't two different surnames put together. Just a long surname

van der Valk or le Tissier etc wouldn't be considered double barrelled, but Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink would be, as it is two family names

Even some of the Danish ones are somewhat iffy, as they don't seem to be official names, and it seems they can just swap around from Jesper B. Jensen to Monberg or Mikkel B Jensen to Mikkel Bech etc. Whether they actually go through an official process of changing their name, i am not sure. But it seems often on official documents only one surname is used

I have always liked the reggae record 'Double Barrel', by Dave & Ansel Collins! www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_7Kx2FlFQY

On 5/23/2022 at 5:28 PM, iris123 said:

Yes I know but it seemed to fit in this topic. I always liked the name.

Paul Lydes-Uings.

Kevin Juhl Pedersen

Not speedway, but there is a car racer who competes in saloon car events with a triple-barrelled name - Charles Hyde-Andrews-Bird.

I know it's not a double barrelled name but stick with me.

Today being a bank holiday thanks to Betty from the big house in Windsor I was able to watch some trash on TV this morning. At the end of each programme there is a list of names that are refered to as "the credits" well at the end of both "Cheer's" & "Fraiser" an Associate producer is called Mary Fukuto. This opened my eye's to a couple of overused hyphons being used to make that surname a much different statement.

Just to be sure I used everyones friend Mr Google & it seems that not only is it a real name but Ms Fukuto is a much decorated producer.

• Haha 1

Slightly off-topic, but I was reminded of a Reading fan who asked,  "Why do Wolves fan call Tim Hunt, 'Isaac'" ;)

2 hours ago, Lefty said:

Slightly off-topic, but I was reminded of a Reading fan who asked,  "Why do Wolves fan call Tim Hunt, 'Isaac'" ;)

That’s a really hard one to follow. Must be some hidden meaning.

There was a junior at Ipswich many yrs ago called Chris Basey-Fisher i seem to remember.

35 minutes ago, kevin bass said:

There was a junior at Ipswich many yrs ago called Chris Basey-Fisher i seem to remember.

At Coventry, we had Ron Wilson Junior 

On 6/2/2022 at 7:25 PM, customhouseregular said:

That’s a really hard one to follow. Must be some hidden meaning.

I don't think I should eally explain this, but say the name Issac Hunt to yourself.............

To elaborate further what did Jeremy Hunt say about the rhyming slang for his surname.

Worrall -Thompson, a tasty combo for Leicester, including tonight up against a pair of Cooks and Lawson at Poole.

Looking forward to a heat which finishes Worrall Thompson Lawson Cook

Edited by Big Al
  • Haha 1

Slightly deviating, there have also been a number of riders who raced under false names.

There was George Snailsham whom rode for Ipswich under the name of Tich Read

Birmingham also had a rider who for several years rode as Lionel Watling, although his real name was James Goldingay.

Belle Vue's Louis Lawson was another who used an assumed name - I used to know what it was, but can't remember it now.

Anyone think of others?