British Speedway Forum
Petecc

Double barrelled names

15 minutes ago, brianbuck said:

Slightly deviating, there have also been a number of riders who raced under false names.

There was George Snailsham whom rode for Ipswich under the name of Tich Read

Birmingham also had a rider who for several years rode as Lionel Watling, although his real name was James Goldingay.

Belle Vue's Louis Lawson was another who used an assumed name - I used to know what it was, but can't remember it now.

Anyone think of others?

Tyburn Gallows whose real name was Raymond Humphreys I believe? He had his name changed by deed poll!

14 hours ago, brianbuck said:

Slightly deviating, there have also been a number of riders who raced under false names.

Birmingham also had a rider who for several years rode as Lionel Watling, although his real name was James Goldingay.

Belle Vue's Louis Lawson was another who used an assumed name - I used to know what it was, but can't remember it now.

Anyone think of others?

David "Shooey" East

14 hours ago, brianbuck said:

Anyone think of others?

Charlie Brown..

AKA Giuseppe Marzotto.. 

(Wonder what happened to him?)..:D

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, mikebv said:

Charlie Brown..

AKA Giuseppe Marzotto.. 

(Wonder what happened to him?)..:D

Last I heard he was working for peanuts...

(I'll get me coat...)

• Haha 4

20 hours ago, brianbuck said:

Arthur Woods.

Just now, chunky said:

Arthur Woods.

There is now a great deal of doubt over this.  A number of sources say that Lawson was in fact his real name, as confirmed by his birth record.

Garry Lindsay made just one appearance for Liverpool in 1960, scoring 11 points from 5 rides.  He had last appeared as Ken Sharples in 1956 at Belle Vue and subsequently returned using his real name of Sharples at Sunderland in 1964, before moving on to Newcastle.

Let's not forget Howard Cole/Kid Bodie or Bernie Lagrosse/Roy Williams...

Gary Williams/Guglielmi (if I've spelt that correctly?)

• Like 1

On 7/15/2022 at 9:22 PM, brianbuck said:

Anyone think of others?

Attila Stefani rode for Oxford as Mark Frost.

Edited by frigbo
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, frigbo said:

Attila Stefani rode for Oxford as Mark Frost.

If I recall he had been recommended by Paul Hurry? He was Hungarian from memory so I guess the name was to get thru' bureaucracy?

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

If I recall he had been recommended by Paul Hurry? He was Hungarian from memory so I guess the name was to get thru' bureaucracy?

I think the issue was the South African sport boycott as Stefani was based in South Africa in the early 90s.

(Same applies to David Steen's reputed birth in Maidstone)

• Thanks 1

I'm thinking I saw Etienne Olivier appear at Coatbridge when Wolves rode there.... was it as Hugh Smith?