British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Col

16.05. Aces v Stars - league

Good effort. But TJ and Lewi Not good enough away again. Last season revisited

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Col said:

Track very strange today, looked like allot of loose material on it, riders barely moved off the white line.  Came good by the end and lots of tractoring.  Except for Brennan passing Thomas in heat 4, while races seemed fast they were also quite spread out.

3 good race at the end,  Fricke passing TS Iversen, Pickering passing Fricke in heat 13 and the best of all Wright passing Pickering in heat 15.  Stars unlucky not get a point, inside gates big advantage tonight.  MPT was poor, in his own words he needed to "grow some balls", I'm sure Zagar would have excelled on that track.  Suspect the absence of the Slovenian affected Kurtz who looked nothing like the rider that scored a 15 point maximum on BHM, says when Zagar riding it feels like a weight of pressure is lifted.

Was surprised Worrall wasn't used in het 14 but Thomas had been decent in his previous rides.

The challenge is when we have heavy downpours and the track becomes "too grippy"...

The track team do a great job but just need to find a way of keeping the great racing when a lot of grip around the inside has been created..

I am sure they are working on it though and will no doubt find an answer.. 

For me. Not too sure about grading it after four heats when "grippy" as we need the racing line to move out and the inside become slicker as soon as possible..

The racing definitely improved as the material stayed mid track to outer so maybe letting it move out earlier without pulling it back in might help? 

Overall an ok meeting with some decent, if not spectacular racing..

And considering the weather, (and no Matej), I would suggest the crowd was "not bad" at all..

And great to see Jason Crump too...

What is noticeable is how "social" UK speedway is with the riders of both teams standing together watching, laughing and joking, and two from opposite teams even shared a mechanic in Robbie Kessler..

Not quite like Poland where even the mechanics wear the club colours, and riders from each team invariably stand apart..

I suppose it reflects where UK Speedway is in that it is more about riders getting rides rather than anything else...

Not a bad night overall and it is still great to attend a racetrack where, even if not the best racing ever seen there, there is always enough to keep you interested for four laps in most races, and, unlike far too many tracks, the places are not decided coming out of bend two, lap one.. 

Edited by mikebv

10 minutes ago, mikebv said:

The challenge is when we have heavy downpours and the track becomes "too grippy"...

The track team do a great job but just need to find a way of keeping the great racing when a lot of grip around the inside has been created..

I am sure they are working on it though and will no doubt find an answer.. 

For me. Not too sure about grading it after four heats when "grippy" as we need the racing line to move out and the inside become slicker as soon as possible..

The racing definitely improved as the material stayed mid track to outer so maybe letting it move out earlier without pulling it back in might help? 

First two track grades the tractor was removing dirt from the inside which improved, but no rider ventured beyond 2/3's towards the air fence because of the build up of loose material there, the build up must have been 8 inches high exiting turn 4 midtrack by the end.  It had been there for a wile, tractor never went near it. 

6 hours ago, Col said:

Track very strange today, looked like allot of loose material on it, riders barely moved off the white line.  Came good by the end and lots of tractoring.  Except for Brennan passing Thomas in heat 4, while races seemed fast they were also quite spread out.

3 good race at the end,  Fricke passing TS Iversen, Pickering passing Fricke in heat 13 and the best of all Wright passing Pickering in heat 15.  Stars unlucky not get a point, inside gates big advantage tonight.  MPT was poor, in his own words he needed to "grow some balls", I'm sure Zagar would have excelled on that track.  Suspect the absence of the Slovenian affected Kurtz who looked nothing like the rider that scored a 15 point maximum on BHM, says when Zagar riding it feels like a weight of pressure is lifted.

Was surprised Worrall wasn't used in het 14 but Thomas had been decent in his previous rides.

Do you not get a point for scoring 42 nowadays then :blink:

7 hours ago, Bald Bloke said:

Good effort. But TJ and Lewi Not good enough away again. Last season revisited

TJ has never been that good away from home,that's the reason he wouldn't have been in my side this season.

1 hour ago, Bagpuss said:

You certainly do Bagpuss,a loss of 6 or less points for the away team gains you 1 league pt.:t:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tellboy said:

TJ has never been that good away from home,that's the reason he wouldn't have been in my side this season.

You certainly do Bagpuss,a loss of 6 or less points for the away team gains you 1 league pt.:t:

I'll stand up for TJ, he was top scorer against Wolves so not always bad away from home ......  At least Lewi got the win in 14 ......

It wasn't to bad a meeting considering the weather, the Aces definitely missed Jye and Matej.  I predicted 49-41 before the start so not too far away, was a good fight back by KL and they deserved the point.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Trees said:

I'll stand up for TJ, he was top scorer against Wolves so not always bad away from home ......  At least Lewi got the win in 14 ......

TJ did indeed top score at Wolves,but one swallow doesn't make a summer.There has been quite a difference in his home to away average whilst riding for Lynn.I asked him at the end of the season a couple of years ago about this and he admiitted to me he has to improve his away form.I will give him his due though,he hasn't done too bad on the road this season so far,i think this 4+1 was his lowest.

7 hours ago, tellboy said:

You did indeed say that at the back end of last season when i met you at the track:t:

Edit.... I've had a look and to be fair to TJ. He has improved away from home, in 2019 he was 3.78, 2021 he averaged 5.25 away.  i'd be happy if he could average a solid 6 away this season.  Lewi's away average was 4.00 in 2019, in 21 it went up to 4.89. Again i'd be happy if he could up it to  at least 5.5 this season on the road (will have a stint at reserve sometime). It's early days so i might of been a bit harsh on them two with my earlier post. :blink:. Lets see how they go as the season progresses.

Edited by Bald Bloke

8 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Oops.  Thought Wright passing Pickering in heat 15 denied Stars a point, I was incorrect.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bald Bloke said:

You did indeed say that at the back end of last season when i met you at the track:t:

Edit.... I've had a look and to be fair to TJ. He has improved away from home, in 2019 he was 3.78, 2021 he averaged 5.25 away.  i'd be happy if he could average a solid 6 away this season.  Lewi's away average was 4.00 in 2019, in 21 it went up to 4.89. Again i'd be happy if he could up it to  at least 5.5 this season on the road (will have a stint at reserve sometime). It's early days so i might of been a bit harsh on them two with my earlier post. :blink:. Lets see how they go as the season progresses.

If those two up their averages away from home BB ,I think we could have a decent season.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, tellboy said:

If those two up their averages away from home BB ,I think we could have a decent season.

It's surprising when you take a look. I know we are only 2 away meetings into the season, but so far we have NKI 6.80,  TJ 6.55 :blink:,  Richard 5.60,  Josh 5.14, Lewi 4.00, Richie 4.00 and Jack 3.45.  Jack and TJ are doing their job at this early stage, but the other 5 will have to up their game on the road. I'm sure after 6-7 meetings things will look a lot better average wise. 

• Like 1

On 5/17/2022 at 1:02 AM, Col said:

First two track grades the tractor was removing dirt from the inside which improved, but no rider ventured beyond 2/3's towards the air fence because of the build up of loose material there, the build up must have been 8 inches high exiting turn 4 midtrack by the end.  It had been there for a wile, tractor never went near it. 

very true, conditions were very difficult for the track staff and I think because of the rain they did about as much as they could, they removed material from the inside to make it slicker and more consistent, but as material moved out it was one line right on the very edge of the cushion of dirt. Very few ventured into the dirt proper and when they did it was so heavy the bikes were two wheeling in a straight line there was that much grip. Only the brave and fool hardy and those with large kahoonas when there. When they did the slingshot they got was huge.