British Speedway Forum
TTT

The current state of the SGB CHAMPIONSHIP

First it was Newcastle, Then it was Plymouth now it's Birmingham.

Shady contracts being handed out with full intention of using guests throughout the season rather than a fully signed 1-7.

This years SGB CHAMPIONSHIP is a total shambles imo and it's only just started.

I think from 2023 onwards the whole league structure needs a re-think with contracts being double checked by the governing body of the sport because it's the fans who'll lose out eventually. 

Rider availability will become an issue once injures pile up, Premiership HL's riding in the Championship will soon see current GSA's sky rocket that'll rule them out of guesting and no forgetting inevitable fixture clashes in the future.

It's the fans who will lose out when those three clubs eventually end up booking 5.00 point riders to guest as a No.1 or a No.5 whilst being asked to pay full price for an uncompetitive team. Especially those who brought season tickets in advance.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, TTT said:

First it was Newcastle, Then it was Plymouth now it's Birmingham.

Shady contracts being handed out with full intention of using guests throughout the season rather than a fully signed 1-7.

This years SGB CHAMPIONSHIP is a total shambles imo and it's only just started.

I think from 2023 onwards the whole league structure needs a re-think with contracts being double checked by the governing body of the sport because it's the fans who'll lose out eventually. 

Rider availability will become an issue once injures pile up, Premiership HL's riding in the Championship will soon see current GSA's sky rocket that'll rule them out of guesting and no forgetting inevitable fixture clashes in the future.

It's the fans who will lose out when those three clubs eventually end up booking 5.00 point riders to guest as a No.1 or a No.5 whilst being asked to pay full price for an uncompetitive team. Especially those who brought season tickets in advance.

Whilst I agree with you that it's not good for speedway, this thing seems to happen every season.

Take last season, Peterborough won the league using guests and r/r for most of the season. Since it's easy to get riders why did Peterborough not bother having a full 1-7 (oh yes they were stronger without signing another rider).

• Like 3

Still waiting for bham to confirm about Ellis? 

But what you're saying is spot on.

It's a bloody joke! 

• Like 2

I believe the above totally unfair. Before you think this is the views of a fan of any particular team May I point out I am in Dorset and had a season ticket at Poole for 16 years.

Plymouth signed Kennett some time ago, I think he was one of their first signings. Yes he thought he had to pull out but later agreed to sign. He fell in his first ride and the injury is bad as it opened a earlier injury. I agree that this could be the end of his career but Plymouth have been looking high and low for a replacement but the rules abroad and BSPA have stumped them. Then Gilles had a very serious injury and Atkins for some reason quit the club.

How are clubs going to find riders when there are none there.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Teams should be allowed a guest for a month then the should have to go with Rider/Replacement within the squad 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

Still waiting for bham to confirm about Ellis? 

But what you're saying is spot on.

It's a bloody joke! 

I'm not sure they'll say til they get a replacement? Plymouth didn't say Lawson was leaving until they had Hans. When's Brum's next meeting? 

Mark Phillips and Gary may said they have tried 16 different riders but they don’t want to ride here due to various reasons some being the sky high costs of visas others due to the costs of setting up here so what do you do one rider they did have lined up was turned down by the bspa I believe ,I can’t confirm why but if the reasons I have heard are true then the authorities need a long look at themselves.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

I'm not sure they'll say til they get a replacement? Plymouth didn't say Lawson was leaving until they had Hans. When's Brum's next meeting? 

Tuesday at Oxford

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HGould said:

Let's go back to 2018 when The CHAIRMAN lost a rider to injury so gave himself a Guest ALL season and even cancelled others Clubs Fixtures so he could get a suitable Guest. 

Let's look at the failure post Brexit to be prepared for Visa delays that were clearly going to happen 

Let's look at the failure to put some sort of limit on the combined average of top 3 heat leaders. 

Let's look at the closed shop that is the PL meaning not enough riders to stock 11 CL Clubs to a more level playing field. 

It's far deeper than Newcastle, Birmingham and Plymouth. They are victims of the system as opposed to them being the perpetrators. 

The sport is run by a cartel, for the cartel full of their own agendas. 

Start with an inpedendent Governing body, separate the SCB which the BSPL have effectively taken over and neutered. 

Too many questions there like!!!,,, baby steps. 

It’s simple …..

until the people looking after speedway in GB are completely neutral it’s a joke ! 

Neutral chairman and board members are need for British speedway and only then will it be taken seriously. 

the people running it look out for themselves and themselves only.

I can’t see it changing for a while because the people in charge won’t let it happen. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HGould said:

Let's go back to 2018 when The CHAIRMAN lost a rider to injury so gave himself a Guest ALL season and even cancelled others Clubs Fixtures so he could get a suitable Guest. 

Let's look at the failure post Brexit to be prepared for Visa delays that were clearly going to happen 

Let's look at the failure to put some sort of limit on the combined average of top 3 heat leaders. 

Let's look at the closed shop that is the PL meaning not enough riders to stock 11 CL Clubs to a more level playing field. 

It's far deeper than Newcastle, Birmingham and Plymouth. They are victims of the system as opposed to them being the perpetrators. 

The sport is run by a cartel, for the cartel full of their own agendas. 

Start with an inpedendent Governing body, separate the SCB which the BSPL have effectively taken over and neutered. 

Absolutely nailed it.:t:

• Like 1

Spot Oh your right there about it being a cartel led by said chairman one rule for one and one for another independent people with no allegiance to any club should be running the sport you never no they might come up with some fresh ideas .

• Like 1

Said it loads of times - but 6 rider teams with a British junior at no.6 is the minimum requirement of what the Championship should be.

Less riders to find, cheaper British rider and the existing riders getting more rides and earning more whilst the need for guests and R/R drops down. Guests shouldn’t be allowed unless there is 2 or more riders missing. Even more money to be wasn’t for riders. Everybody wins!

• Like 4