British Speedway Forum
TTT

The current state of the SGB CHAMPIONSHIP

12 hours ago, mikebv said:

It's UK Speedway....

It doesnt really matter...

Just go along and hopefully enjoy a good evenings entertainment...

There is pretty much no kudos in victory, no major financial reward, and hardly any media coverage other than the odd mention in a few papers for the play off winners allied to good coverage in the Speedway Star, so it really doesn't matter who wins any league..

What does matter is that teams win at home most weeks and stay solvent, which ensure riders who spend tens of thousands on kit are able to ride on many nights of the year to justify their expense..

The sport has been ran in a "bit Mickey Mouse" way for decades so it wont ever change.. 

It still has the capability to deliver a cracking night out, and the racing today is as least as good as I can ever remember, so just go along and enjoy what is on offer..

You might be even be lucky enough to be there for Bomber's 100th appearance of the season...:D

Speedway is lucky it has some people left who put up with all the shenanigans.

• Like 3

there's no rider shortage, the ridiculous strength of the 2nd tier is strangling their progress from the 3rd tier. Even if they're not world beaters they're competent and could make up team numbers. Yes, I'm saying the CL should be weakened. If Eastbourne and others come back next year it will be needed otherwise it won't work and we'll lose tracks.

• Like 5

Now being a Glasgow fan I'll probably take a little flack for this but if a rider withdraws from a meeting, and I use Tom Brennan withdrawing at Newcastle last Sunday, surely he should be required to 'rest & recover' for so many days rather than ride the next day?

The whole set up British Speedway is a joke. Two (senior) leagues made up of the same riders more or less.

It's little wonder fans wonder if riders can give 100% to their team given the strain on machinery and of travel.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Jonnybegood said:

There is room for easty and worky in the 3rd div. 

Is there? The only reason places have been filled this season is due to the low team building average from the year before and artificial average inflation. Even then riders bound for retirement have been tempted back to make up the numbers. Drop in two more teams and the averages have to be cut again to fill the places. There aren't enough emerging riders and thats the bottom line. You need youth classes with 24 plus a season so that the top 4-6 graduate. At present some classes get 6-8 riders and they all will be looking for a NDL place and many will get one simply out of necessity. 

• Like 1

Whilst I agree with pretty much all the sentiments above, and sounding off makes many feel better, I fear you are all just wasting your breath and your time. The fundamental failings of speedway in the uk are simply that the sport is governed and run by those individual business owners within it. They manipulate whatever is necessary to their own ends, and will continue to do so. Any new member to the club will soon be hounded out or suppressed if they start to break the mould.

Until that changes, everything else is window dressing, posturing, and general BS

Its never going to change voluntarily, as to do so, you need all these business owners to hand over the control of the rules by which their businesses operate. This isn't a championship problem, it's all uk leagues. The only way these people are going to hand over control is ££££ and lots of it.

That's very unlikely, so if you want to carry on bickering about how wrong things are, fine, but at least be realistic. Unless some Barry Hearne type figure walks through the door offering big £££ to take control of UK speedway, It's not going to change. All the BS in the world is just spin.

When all is said and done, we are just customers of some business who sell a product. They do as little as they can to get as much ££ as they can. Your 'rights' are you can either buy the product or not. You can bitch and moan about it or not. And please don't ever quote the 'fans' thing. Fans are just a clever marketing ploy to make individuals buy into a brand where they will make illogical decisions and spend more money on a product than is sensible. Turn someone into a fan and you have a gullible cash cow waiting for you at every opportunity. Might sound harsh, but it's true.

I think we should just spend more time enjoying the simplicity of watching 4 people racing 4 laps with no brakes a bit more, for what it is. Trying to ignore what we know goes on in the background. 

If you think too hard about the rest of it, it just sucks the life and soul out of you. 

Keep hoping for a Barry Hearne type figure to come along, but I believe that opportunity was had, and rejected 25 years or so ago. 

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, wtf said:

Whilst I agree with pretty much all the sentiments above, and sounding off makes many feel better, I fear you are all just wasting your breath and your time. The fundamental failings of speedway in the uk are simply that the sport is governed and run by those individual business owners within it. They manipulate whatever is necessary to their own ends, and will continue to do so. Any new member to the club will soon be hounded out or suppressed if they start to break the mould.

Until that changes, everything else is window dressing, posturing, and general BS

Its never going to change voluntarily, as to do so, you need all these business owners to hand over the control of the rules by which their businesses operate. This isn't a championship problem, it's all uk leagues. The only way these people are going to hand over control is ££££ and lots of it.

That's very unlikely, so if you want to carry on bickering about how wrong things are, fine, but at least be realistic. Unless some Barry Hearne type figure walks through the door offering big £££ to take control of UK speedway, It's not going to change. All the BS in the world is just spin.

When all is said and done, we are just customers of some business who sell a product. They do as little as they can to get as much ££ as they can. Your 'rights' are you can either buy the product or not. You can bitch and moan about it or not. And please don't ever quote the 'fans' thing. Fans are just a clever marketing ploy to make individuals buy into a brand where they will make illogical decisions and spend more money on a product than is sensible. Turn someone into a fan and you have a gullible cash cow waiting for you at every opportunity. Might sound harsh, but it's true.

I think we should just spend more time enjoying the simplicity of watching 4 people racing 4 laps with no brakes a bit more, for what it is. Trying to ignore what we know goes on in the background. 

If you think too hard about the rest of it, it just sucks the life and soul out of you. 

Keep hoping for a Barry Hearne type figure to come along, but I believe that opportunity was had, and rejected 25 years or so ago. 

Yip until the sport has a TOTALLY INDEPENDENT ruling body it is going nowhere but down the tube.

99% of Promoters (and I use that term loosely) are only interested in their own team/league and can't see the fuller picture.

Many claim they lose money season after season. That's because they don't listen to the paying public and make changes that will benefit themselves and the sport as a whole.

When Poole stepped down from the Premier League it was after asking fans and it has paid dividends for them and I doubt the standard of racing has changed much given the PL & CL used 90% of the same riders.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OGT said:

Speedway is lucky it has some people left who put up with all the shenanigans.

Very true...

With the ultimate irony being that those within the "Speedway Bubble" don't see the untold damage they do by the way they run it...

Not many successful businesses will have part of their business plan..

"Proactively alienate a fair proportion of our customer base through our operating model" I would imagine..:D

A great product but in the wrong hands maybe? 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, mikebv said:

A great product but in the wrong hands maybe? 

Definitely.

1 hour ago, cinderfella said:

Yip until the sport has a TOTALLY INDEPENDENT ruling body it is going nowhere but down the tube.

99% of Promoters (and I use that term loosely) are only interested in their own team/league and can't see the fuller picture.

Many claim they lose money season after season. That's because they don't listen to the paying public and make changes that will benefit themselves and the sport as a whole.

When Poole stepped down from the Premier League it was after asking fans and it has paid dividends for them and I doubt the standard of racing has changed much given the PL & CL used 90% of the same riders.

They did, but I have a feeling Matt had made his mind up anyway and was a case of everyone being in the same boat. I could be way off though! 

U.K. Speedway's biggest problem is the lack of riders. If 3 new/additional teams were applying to join the existing Premier or Championship leagues in 2023 it would not be possible - not enough riders. This is a problem that should be addressed now & the riders should be U.K. based for various reasons mainly cost.

16 hours ago, HGould said:

Let's go back to 2018 when The CHAIRMAN lost a rider to injury so gave himself a Guest ALL season and even cancelled others Clubs Fixtures so he could get a suitable Guest. 

Let's look at the failure post Brexit to be prepared for Visa delays that were clearly going to happen 

Let's look at the failure to put some sort of limit on the combined average of top 3 heat leaders. 

Let's look at the closed shop that is the PL meaning not enough riders to stock 11 CL Clubs to a more level playing field. 

It's far deeper than Newcastle, Birmingham and Plymouth. They are victims of the system as opposed to them being the perpetrators. 

The sport is run by a cartel, for the cartel full of their own agendas. 

Start with an inpedendent Governing body, separate the SCB which the BSPL have effectively taken over and neutered. 

If you are going to make a post, look(troll) back & find some truths!

In 2018, CHAPMAN was still the CHAIRMAN & GODFREY his VICE. http://scunthorpe-speedway.com/?p=8003

We did lose S Worrall early season but he DID come back late July, early August so NOT ALL season.

Brexit was happening but we were ill prepared as our Prime Minister jumped ship & left a clown in charge.

Hindsight is wonderful for the limit on top 3 heat leaders but it was a rule touted years ago but never implemented(plenty of riders back then.

Is 6 man teams the way to go with unattatched riders as guests?

Name an instance where the "cartel" has used influence?

BUT, I do agree with an Independent Body(ex promoters, referees, riders). The SCB & BSP Ltd are separate committees.

2 minutes ago, George Dodds said:

So who pays for this independent body? 

...and can anyone name a truly independent body with no ties, loyalties or preferences to any team past or present, as well as having a modicum of working knowledge of the sport?!

9 minutes ago, George Dodds said:

So who pays for this independent body? 

I will av to ask Judge Rinder!  :D