British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
chris4gillian

WOW! It's been 10 years...

I can't believe 10 years has passed since Rico's fatal ride.  I used to love watching Lee, especially when he had the union jack on his back as it seemed to spur him on even more.  Was a joy to watch every time he got on his bike.  He was a really nice guy too.  A link to a nice piece on the British Speedway web site....

REMEMBERING RICO - Friday, May 13, 2022 (britishspeedway.co.uk)

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

Time passes and memories fade but some things stay with you forever like it is yesterday

RIP Rico

• Like 1

Lee was one of the nicest people I ever had the privilege of dealing with in speedway. Sadly missed

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, NeilWatson said:

Lee was one of the nicest people I ever had the privilege of dealing with in speedway. Sadly missed

I can echo that 100%. I remember Lee sticking with it early days where many others would have quite.

Thoughts are with the family.

Not that’s it really relevant but my memory of that day was a strangely poignant one, although still riding I was also mechanic for hynek stichuer and we had gone to stay with hynek while going to the czech GP, on the Sunday we went to pardubice track, there were only us there and we were having a drink in the workshops under the pits of which one was formally lee Richardson’s, his stickers were all over the benches and cabinets, we locked up and went for food and we heard the news he had died, it’s was sickening when I think back to it but just felt odd and poiniant that we had been in in old workshop at the time he was killed, as I said not really relevant but reading this thread just reminded me of that day 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 5/13/2022 at 11:04 AM, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Time passes and memories fade but some things stay with you forever like it is yesterday

RIP Rico

Spot on bruv:(I was at the meeting in Wroclaw where Rico lost his life riding for Rzsezow:neutral:As you say some things stay with you forever.

• Sad 2

So great of Havvy to dedicate Poole's win at Redcar on Friday to Lee's memory. (ref. article in www.bournemouthecho.co.uk)

• Like 3

It was devastating. I remember arriving at Hull and got talking to him in the car park. I congratulated him on his U21 win and he was chuffed. Said, cheers mate, and was rightly proud of it.

I watched him at Poole in his first season and regularly scored 0,0,0 but the promotion stuck with him. Ended up a top rider. Terrible tragedy.

• Like 1