British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Roger Jacobs

Green Sheet Rolling Averages - Reducing During 2022 Season

The Green Sheet Rolling Averages have been based on 20 matches for a while, but this season (2022), the number of matches is reducing by 2 each month, so: June 18, July 16, August 14, September 12, and by October the Rolling Averages will be based on the last 10 matches.

I checked with the BSPL office, and they confirmed that it has always been the last N matches, irrespective of home or away, i.e. not half of each. Therefore, by October it's possible that riders will have averages skewed by 6/7/8 home and 4/3/2 away, or even 4/3/2 home and 6/7/8 away.  Obviously, the smaller the sample, the bigger the impact on the overall average - especially when a new score is added and the oldest is dropped.

Another change by the BSPL for which the consequences have not been thought through ...

Edited by Roger Jacobs
  • Like 2

To confirm this is going to cover all three leagues? Easier to maintain / calculate i guess but also opens up a huge window for average manipulation in the later parts of the season

• Like 1

CMA's are League meetings only not including Play Offs.

• Like 1

did they give any reason for making the change?

presumably averages for the start of 2023 won't be based on those last 10 matches and it's just for riding order heading into October?? 

well that'll give plenty of riders the opportunity to reduce their average to grab those lucrative Poole and Glasgow contracts in 2023 ;)

would love to hear the rationale behind this.