British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Glasgow v Poole 20/5/22

Rain is forecast, but generally light. About 0.6mm per hour. It’s generally been good this week, but when it has rained, it’s been furious. No pictures from the track work so hard to know how good the track is. The garden soil is generally in good condition though so maybe that’s a good sign!

Still concerned about the forecast for later. Rain expected in the afternoon into early evening. But no sign of a call off - Twitter pics show the track looking decent. Could go either way later.

22 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

I'd say keep as much space between themselves and Craig Cook as possible! :unsure:

However last season the first meeting between Poole and Glasgow was on my birthday, and I have a bit of a jinx with it, Poole never win on it, even at home!! 

You gotta let the Craig Cook thing go Lisa! 

Really annoying that Kemp and Brennan are missing, boooo to the fixture compiler.

1 minute ago, Bagpuss said:

Really annoying that Kemp and Brennan are missing, boooo to the fixture compiler.

I mean I'm all for releasing them for important fixtures to better themselves etc. But the U23 European cup? Does anyone really care?

• Like 1

5mm forecasted between 1 & 7 then dry and breezy but how reliable are forecasts. Track should hold up fine based on forecast.

But what the riders think of conditions when they get there ......

• Like 1

Just now, gmarsbar2 said:

5mm forecasted between 1 & 7 then dry and breezy but how reliable are forecasts. Track should hold up fine based on forecast.

But what the riders think of conditions when they get there ......

That’s the main concern these days.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

I mean I'm all for releasing them for important fixtures to better themselves etc. But the U23 European cup? Does anyone really care?

Any meeting on a European track particularly representing GB is important IMO. This is one of the season's plum fixtures though so why schedule it this weekend when two of our best youngsters were bound to be away? 

25 minutes ago, Noelinho said:

Still concerned about the forecast for later. Rain expected in the afternoon into early evening. But no sign of a call off - Twitter pics show the track looking decent. Could go either way later.

What weather forecast are the Tigers management looking at that makes them optimistic that this meeting will be on? 

According to the met office Glasgee gonna be a wee bit wet, so much so Wee Jimmy Krankie gonna be up to his neck in it! :rofl:

Edited by Turnip

8 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Any meeting on a European track particularly representing GB is important IMO. This is one of the season's plum fixtures though so why schedule it this weekend when two of our best youngsters were bound to be away? 

Kemp missing strengths Poole. 2 points in 2 meetings for Edinburgh last year.

14 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

This might be a late addition to the SEC calendar I'm not sure. Issue I have is Glasgow (and to lesser extent Poole) are trying to find guests for riders who are scoring above their average. A reverse Eddie Kennet if you will. Seen it said somewhere earlier, but why under our r/r rules are riders below Tom's average only allowed 1 ride? Why couldn't we use basso for 3 of them and ulle get the 1 as he's higher?

4 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

This might be a late addition to the SEC calendar I'm not sure. Issue I have is Glasgow (and to lesser extent Poole) are trying to find guests for riders who are scoring above their average. A reverse Eddie Kennet if you will. Seen it said somewhere earlier, but why under our r/r rules are riders below Tom's average only allowed 1 ride? Why couldn't we use basso for 3 of them and ulle get the 1 as he's higher?

If we're not careful we are going to have likes of Brennan, Kemp. Palin, Flint, and others in the next wave coming through who is under 23, unavailable pretty much every weekend from May to October as more and more under 23 under 21 under 18 mickt mouse Events take place in Europe. 

The main Event dates should be fixed and agreed so UK fixtures can be settled but micky mouse should not take precedence over CL fixtures. Especially on Fridays when 8 teams often racing. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, HGould said:

If we're not careful we are going to have likes of Brennan, Kemp. Palin, Flint, and others in the next wave coming through who is under 23, unavailable pretty much every weekend from May to October as more and more under 23 under 21 under 18 mickt mouse Events take place in Europe. 

The main Event dates should be fixed and agreed so UK fixtures can be settled but micky mouse should not take precedence over CL fixtures. Especially on Fridays when 8 teams often racing. 

While it’s good experience for these young riders,are they going to be out of pocket money wise.? One thing for sure breaking into the big money in Poland is still well beyond them at this stage.

Edited by Fromafar
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

While it’s good experience for these young riders,are they going to be out of pocket money wise.? One thing for sure breaking into the big money in Poland is still well beyond them at this stage.

100%

Would have expected a few to be Div 2 regulars by now. 

The Czechs Latvian and Danes though seem to be producing better 18 to 23 though currently. 

But of a catch 22., need Polish experience to develop but can't get in to do so. 

May be a few of them need to drop CL and focus on PL  and European leagues? PL being Monday and Thursday. 

2 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Hmm, I'll think about it! ;):P