British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

Teterow GP round 4 Saturday June 4th

1 hour ago, chunky said:

More in line with ANY sport - the higher you place, the more points you get!

Crazy concept to a lot on here, though...

But it isn’t the case here is it?. Unless one makes the final they can finish with less points scored over 20 races. Make the final and finish with more points scored over 20 races. In what other sphere of motor sport does this apply?.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, customhouseregular said:

But it isn’t the case here is it?. Unless one makes the final they can finish with less points scored over 20 races. Make the final and finish with more points scored over 20 races. In what other sphere of motor sport does this apply?.

No. Race points are only used as the qualification criteria for the semis; championship points are awarded STRICTLY on finishing position. The guy who finished 3rd will ALWAYS get more than the guy who finished 4th, who will always get more than the guy who finished 5th.

This is the problem, as people seem to  intertwine and confuse the two. Race points aren't included in the championship standings. It doesn't matter that someone scored 15 points, and finished last in his semi; the 15 points just secured a spot in the semi - NOTHING ELSE. WHether he got a 15-point max, or scraped in with 6, it doesn't matter. If he finishes last in his semi, he will get the same points.

It's no different to the old World Final system. Somebody could win the Overseas Finak with 15, and another could scrape in with 7. The important thing is that they qualified for the Inter-Continental Final, where they all start from scratch again. That's what the semis are now - it is "another round" where they all start from scratch.

In what other forms of motorsport do they have no brakes?

In what other forms of sport do they have 16-man round-robins?

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, customhouseregular said:

The scoring system is a mess at the moment, it's neither one thing or another. The top 4 get awarded points based on their finishing position in the GP (the final), the 2 losing semi finalists, well I'm not quite sure how they get awarded their points R&R will know and then the bottom 8 get their points awarded based on their race points... it's a right bugger's muddle!

It's not comparable with other motor sports as their competitors race against all of their opponents in one continuous race... now there's an idea, a 70 lap Speedway race!

Edited by iainb
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, chunky said:

No. Race points are only used as the qualification criteria for the semis; championship points are awarded STRICTLY on finishing position. The guy who finished 3rd will ALWAYS get more than the guy who finished 4th, who will always get more than the guy who finished 5th.

This is the problem, as people seem to  intertwine and confuse the two. Race points aren't included in the championship standings. It doesn't matter that someone scored 15 points, and finished last in his semi; the 15 points just secured a spot in the semi - NOTHING ELSE. WHether he got a 15-point max, or scraped in with 6, it doesn't matter. If he finishes last in his semi, he will get the same points.

It's no different to the old World Final system. Somebody could win the Overseas Finak with 15, and another could scrape in with 7. The important thing is that they qualified for the Inter-Continental Final, where they all start from scratch again. That's what the semis are now - it is "another round" where they all start from scratch.

In what other forms of motorsport do they have no brakes?

In what other forms of sport do they have 16-man round-robins?

We will have to agree to differ my friend. I don’t like the new system. I never liked semis and finals either. For me it’s 20 heats with top scorer winning. Sorry if that makes me a dinosaur.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, customhouseregular said:

We will have to agree to differ my friend. I don’t like the new system. I never liked semis and finals either. For me it’s 20 heats with top scorer winning. Sorry if that makes me a dinosaur.

I agree with you as far as the 20 heats, but modern sport is all about sudden-death and play-offs. A straight 20 heats WOULD be easy to have all race points counting, but with semis and a final, that alters things drastically. Overall, I preferred the previous system, but I never liked the way that a rider could win a GP, and receive a much lower score than the guys he beat. To me, that defeats the object of sport...

• Like 1

I trying to think of another sport where individuals score points which are then wiped out in favour of a different scheme.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

I trying to think of another sport where individuals score points which are then wiped out in favour of a different scheme.

Try looking at the World Cup. Round-robin groups with a points table, which are then wiped out in favour of a knockout...

18 minutes ago, chunky said:

Try looking at the World Cup. Round-robin groups with a points table, which are then wiped out in favour of a knockout...

Not individuals though.

I personally think we ve taken a step backwards with the present system  

the gp was introduced to see who was the best rider over a series of meetings ( for me that means every race )

how about  the rider with the most points at the end of the meeting wins the gp  including semi final and final  points 

Scoring system needs to get back to where every ride counts towards your final score, you can fiddle around with the semi`s and final but this current system is next to useless.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, FAST GATER said:

IMO over the GP Series the "cream will always float to the top" whatever the scoring system

It certainly repays consistency. A rider finishing second in every GP would most likely be crowned champion, even if not winning a single round.

4 minutes ago, customhouseregular said:

It certainly repays consistency. A rider finishing second in every GP would most likely be crowned champion, even if not winning a single round.

Like Mark Loram

1 hour ago, OveFundinFan said:

British Superbikes

39 minutes ago, customhouseregular said:

Not individuals though.

Doesn't matter...