British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

Teterow GP round 4 Saturday June 4th

3 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

Like Mark Loram

true 

2 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

That is weird.

EVERY sport has it's own quirks. Take my own sport of darts. Are there any other sports where both players/teams don't get an equal number of turns to finish the game?

3 hours ago, customhouseregular said:

But it isn’t the case here is it?. Unless one makes the final they can finish with less points scored over 20 races. Make the final and finish with more points scored over 20 races. In what other sphere of motor sport does this apply?.

Moto X, Superbikes, Flat track, Grass track just about any that has more than one race per meeting.

Generally the points from two races are added together to give a finishing position from which Championship points are awarded. So somebody can easily win the first race and have 20 points, crash in the second and end up taking home 8 or 10 Championship points.

Perhaps the most direct comparison would be Supercross where they have to qualify to make the night show then compete in a series of heats, semis and last chance races but Championship points are only awarded on position in the final.

23 hours ago, Gavan said:

Disgusting that a GP track is that bad….. of course Shovlar likes it he is a wind up merchant who always gives an opposite opinion to anyone else just to cause comment sad and predictable 

Someone said the Poles didn’t like it well first and second shows that to be wrong lol

Tai looking good just an awful gate choice in the semi 

Dan just made a mistake in the first corner of his semi final maybe youthful exuberance and lack of experience 

Lambert steady if not spectacular but that was what was needed tonight 

And what can you say about Zmarzlik…… hated conditions but like a multi world champion does he made the best of a bad night …. I hope he goes on to win it again as he is the best rider by far and amazing to watch

Madsen to inconsistent to put up a challenge and the less said about Janowski the better he just crumbles and sulks and will never be a world champion isn’t mentally tough enough 

Can see it being the ‘old guard’ so to speak as the top 3 at the end of the season…. Zmarzlik, Tai and Freddie 

Despite your hate of him Janowski is World Class as the last few seasons have proved.Track a disgrace and riders have a full season without risking taking chances on a Moto Cross.Meeting have been called of in Poland on tracks  better prepared that that.Listening to the riders today they were not happy regarding last night.

18 hours ago, chunky said:

Is it really that crazy when the points reflect your finishing position in the event?

At least this way, the winner gets the most points, the second-place man gets more than the third-place man, etc... That didn't always happen with the old system.

1) Why do 3 riders on 5 have to be split into finishing 11th, 12th & 13th for example. Why can't they all finish 11th= on 5 pts?

2) I never minded the winner not getting the most points, I'd much rather 7 races count towards your score than just 1.

3) If they're desperate to have the winner get the most points, just make the final 20-18-17-16 & everyone else keep their points from the qualifying heats.

6 hours ago, chunky said:

I agree with you as far as the 20 heats, but modern sport is all about sudden-death and play-offs. A straight 20 heats WOULD be easy to have all race points counting, but with semis and a final, that alters things drastically. Overall, I preferred the previous system, but I never liked the way that a rider could win a GP, and receive a much lower score than the guys he beat. To me, that defeats the object of sport...

Not if the object is to secure well in every race, rather than just the last one?

7 hours ago, customhouseregular said:

But it isn’t the case here is it?. Unless one makes the final they can finish with less points scored over 20 races. Make the final and finish with more points scored over 20 races. In what other sphere of motor sport does this apply?.

Not necessarily, on Saturday a rider scoring 6 points & missing out on the semis gave them 8 GP points.

You could also win 6 races, be 4th in the final & leave with just 14 points.

6 hours ago, customhouseregular said:

We will have to agree to differ my friend. I don’t like the new system. I never liked semis and finals either. For me it’s 20 heats with top scorer winning. Sorry if that makes me a dinosaur.

I would be totally happy with that!

I personally think the current scoring is the worst ever & have not heard a single argument to convince me otherwise.

However if they are desperate for the winner to score the most points, it is far easier fixed.

1) A-B-C-D finals with the current scoring in place. Winner would always get the most points & would stop someone finishing in 8th being able to win the meeting, which is better in my view. Would also remove the current situation of splitting 3 riders on 5 points by countback, at least this way their place in the finals decides the points.

2) Final is scored 20-18-17-16, then points scored in heats count for the rest. Winner always scores most for the ones who prefer that. But all the qualifying races count for the rest. This avoids one rider on 6 scoring 3 more points than another on 6. Also avoids one rider on 9 scoring 1 more point than a rider on 6. Both if these are possible with current scoring system.

And in days of yore people said the likes of Exeter, Hull (Boulevard), Newport (Somerton Park) & Newcastle (early 1960's) were a tad bumpy B).  Still, it was experience for the riders not used to such choppy comditions and hopefully the riders who spilled weren't too badly shook up.  And new GP scoring takes a bit of getting used to, not 100% sold on it myself but it is what it and being speedway could well change at the end of the current season....

18 hours ago, Gambo said:

Apologies for the formatting, but below is a list of comparisons.

Biggest winner Leon Madsen +8

Rider / Race Points / GP Points / Diff (+/-)

Bartosz Zmarzlik

57 62 +5
Maciej Janowski 46 51 +5
Tai Woffinden 42 43 +1
Leon Madsen 42 50 +8
Fredrik Lindgren 39 46 +7
Patryk Dudek 36 35 -1
Martin Vaculik 33 35 +2
Dan Bewley 33 32 -1
Max Fricke 32 32 =
Robert Lambert 32 36 +4
Mikkel Michelsen 31 34 +3
Jason Doyle 29 35 +6
Jack Holder 27 26 -1
Anders Thomsen 25 29 +4
Pawel Przedpelski 19 15 -4
Matej Zagar 10 11 +1
Kai Huckenbeck 6 7 +1
Maksym Drabik 5 4 -1
Jan Kvech 3 1 -2
Jakub Miskowiak 1 0 -1

Race Points make it closer and easier to follow

14 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

I trying to think of another sport where individuals score points which are then wiped out in favour of a different scheme.

What about Tennis?

You win first set 6-0. You are 1-0 up.

You win second set 6-0. You are 2-0 up

You lose the next 3 sets 6-7. 

You win 30 games. Your opponent wins 21 games. You lose 3-2.

And that's before even going into the number of actual points, which are also immediately wiped out in favour of the number of games.

2 hours ago, Grachan said:

What about Tennis?

You win first set 6-0. You are 1-0 up.

You win second set 6-0. You are 2-0 up

You lose the next 3 sets 6-7. 

You win 30 games. Your opponent wins 21 games. You lose 3-2.

And that's before even going into the number of actual points, which are also immediately wiped out in favour of the number of games.

Ah, but that's different (or so the "experts" on here will try to convince you...)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Despite your hate of him Janowski is World Class as the last few seasons have proved.Track a disgrace and riders have a full season without risking taking chances on a Moto Cross.Meeting have been called of in Poland on tracks  better prepared that that.Listening to the riders today they were not happy regarding last night.

Where have I said I hate Janowski?

Where have I said he isn’t world class?

Do I think he will ever be world champion? No I believe he isn’t mentally tough enough 

It’s called an opinion Magic may prove me wrong 

I just feel when it comes to the crunch he goes missing 

• Like 2