British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

Teterow GP round 4 Saturday June 4th

Well done to all the Brits in very testing conditions, congratulations to Dudek the winner despite his impediment :(

13 hours ago, Gavan said:

the less said about Janowski the better he just crumbles and sulks and will never be a world champion isn’t mentally tough enough 

I'm not quite sure why we expect so much from Janowski? He's not even in the reckoning for the title of being the best rider to never win a world title.

1 hour ago, bigcatdiary said:

I really didn’t see why the system was changed, under the old scoring every race counted and meant no one could take their foot of the gas. And it was fair to everyone.

What exactly is the big deal that the winner needs to get the most points

I always assumed it changed because Tai Woffinden kept saying he did not care about winning GPs whenever he missed out, that he just wanted to keep picking up championship points.  Which surely must be embarrassing to the series, because he was just being smart within the system they created.

That previous system rewarded consistently over winning meetings, especially when you could have a rider entering a final knowing they will get the most points out of the meeting towards the championship table even if they crash out.  In all of Tai's titles, only Hancock in 2015 shared the podium with the same number of GP wins as him, the other riders all won more.

So they had to make a change to make winning a meeting actually count for more in the season than just a ride for three more points.  No one is saying riders will not battle for every point, but they should be disappointed when they fail rather than it not matter because they got the most points anyway.

That system was like deciding the Premier League on goal scored rather than points for winning matches.

My problem with the current system is it has gone from one extreme to the other.  Now it ignores how well someone had gone in a meeting that you can miss the semis on count back yet still only get one point more than a rider who picked up three points fewer.

But I do not know what is wrong with the older system of double points in the final.  It pretty much meant the winner of the meeting would have the most points, and a six point difference between winning a GP and failing to make the final meant that winning mattered to the championship standings in the way they do now.

• Like 3

Another dreadful GP all down to the track AGAIN!!...Slightly more chance of passing that that utter embarrassment in Prague but the track was a disgrace!.

Stuff this practice of sharing the GP's all around the World, this is supposed to be the pinnacle of a so called "professional" (sic) sport, yet so many rounds are ruined by disgraceful tracks. Give ALL the rounds to the best tracks, even if that means some tracks getting more than one round a year.

This is supposed to be speedway RACING, not speedway "GATING" (last week) and speedway "HANGING ON FOR DEAR LIFE" (last night).

Another embarrassing night for the sport.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, someone said:

I always assumed it changed because Tai Woffinden kept saying he did not care about winning GPs whenever he missed out, that he just wanted to keep picking up championship points.  Which surely must be embarrassing to the series, because he was just being smart within the system they created.

That previous system rewarded consistently over winning meetings, especially when you could have a rider entering a final knowing they will get the most points out of the meeting towards the championship table even if they crash out.  In all of Tai's titles, only Hancock in 2015 shared the podium with the same number of GP wins as him, the other riders all won more.

So they had to make a change to make winning a meeting actually count for more in the season than just a ride for three more points.  No one is saying riders will not battle for every point, but they should be disappointed when they fail rather than it not matter because they got the most points anyway.

That system was like deciding the Premier League on goal scored rather than points for winning matches.

My problem with the current system is it has gone from one extreme to the other.  Now it ignores how well someone had gone in a meeting that you can miss the semis on count back yet still only get one point more than a rider who picked up three points fewer.

But I do not know what is wrong with the older system of double points in the final.  It pretty much meant the winner of the meeting would have the most points, and a six point difference between winning a GP and failing to make the final meant that winning mattered to the championship standings in the way they do now.

Maybe just give the rider winning the final 23 points, everybody else scores what they score as before. If you go unbeaten, you'd gain another 2 points as well. Winning finalist will always get most points and somebody having done well in qualifying also rewarded with good points.

39 minutes ago, ytsejam said:

Another dreadful GP all down to the track AGAIN!!...Slightly more chance of passing that that utter embarrassment in Prague but the track was a disgrace!.

Stuff this practice of sharing the GP's all around the World, this is supposed to be the pinnacle of a so called "professional" (sic) sport, yet so many rounds are ruined by disgraceful tracks. Give ALL the rounds to the best tracks, even if that means some tracks getting more than one round a year.

This is supposed to be speedway RACING, not speedway "GATING" (last week) and speedway "HANGING ON FOR DEAR LIFE" (last night).

Another embarrassing night for the sport.

Sorts the men out from the boys though, there were a few who went missing last night, who would normally excel on a smooth slick track, we are trying to find out who the best rider in the world is after all. Bartek had the right idea, he clearly didn't fancy it, backing out of a few moves, doing just enough to get to the final and then Bam! Clear at the top of the Championship... be interesting to know who advised Tai that gate Blue was a good pick in the semi, that may prove to be a very costly decision. 

Nice to hear Kelvin Tatum use the Nigel Pearson catchphrase "Right place, Right time" a couple of times last night

Is this a daft idea?…Top 8 after 20 heats race 2 A semis and an A Final. Points scored 16 down to 9. Bottom 8 after 20 heats race 2 B semis and a B Final. Points scored 9 down to 1. Points scored in the heats discarded. 

41 minutes ago, customhouseregular said:

Is this a daft idea?…Top 8 after 20 heats race 2 A semis and an A Final. Points scored 16 down to 9. Bottom 8 after 20 heats race 2 B semis and a B Final. Points scored 9 down to 1. Points scored in the heats discarded. 

Yes daft- 26 heats too many

• Like 1

Apologies for the formatting, but below is a list of comparisons.

Biggest winner Leon Madsen +8

Rider / Race Points / GP Points / Diff (+/-)

Bartosz Zmarzlik

57 62 +5
Maciej Janowski 46 51 +5
Tai Woffinden 42 43 +1
Leon Madsen 42 50 +8
Fredrik Lindgren 39 46 +7
Patryk Dudek 36 35 -1
Martin Vaculik 33 35 +2
Dan Bewley 33 32 -1
Max Fricke 32 32 =
Robert Lambert 32 36 +4
Mikkel Michelsen 31 34 +3
Jason Doyle 29 35 +6
Jack Holder 27 26 -1
Anders Thomsen 25 29 +4
Pawel Przedpelski 19 15 -4
Matej Zagar 10 11 +1
Kai Huckenbeck 6 7 +1
Maksym Drabik 5 4 -1
Jan Kvech 3 1 -2
Jakub Miskowiak 1 0 -1
  • Thanks 1

Personally I never liked the idea of the winner of the GP not getting the most points or that qualifying for a semi didn't gain anything if you finished 4th. I like the new system and it is more in line with the majority of motorsport.

Dan Bewley has been brilliant imo, turns up, just gets on with it and is doing very well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, customhouseregular said:

Just have A-D finals. I prefer every point counting, but if the organisers are fixed on the current point system, that's what I would be inclined to go with. 

59 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

Yes daft- 26 heats too many

Not if they alternate the A’s and B’s semis and finals to reduce the delay between the heats and semis/finals. Just an idea, as I said, May be daft.

59 minutes ago, Gambo said:

Apologies for the formatting, but below is a list of comparisons.

Biggest winner Leon Madsen +8

Rider / Race Points / GP Points / Diff (+/-)

Bartosz Zmarzlik

57 62 +5
Maciej Janowski 46 51 +5
Tai Woffinden 42 43 +1
Leon Madsen 42 50 +8
Fredrik Lindgren 39 46 +7
Patryk Dudek 36 35 -1
Martin Vaculik 33 35 +2
Dan Bewley 33 32 -1
Max Fricke 32 32 =
Robert Lambert 32 36 +4
Mikkel Michelsen 31 34 +3
Jason Doyle 29 35 +6
Jack Holder 27 26 -1
Anders Thomsen 25 29 +4
Pawel Przedpelski 19 15 -4
Matej Zagar 10 11 +1
Kai Huckenbeck 6 7 +1
Maksym Drabik 5 4 -1
Jan Kvech 3 1 -2
Jakub Miskowiak 1 0 -1

Interesting. Bewley should be tied with Vaculik and 1 point behind Dudek. 

20-18-16-14 in the final, all other points as scored in the 20 heats. That way if you score 8 from your first 3 rides you can't settle for a couple of thirds knowing you'll be through to the semi's, just in case you don't make the final.

1 hour ago, Vince said:

I like the new system and it is more in line with the majority of motorsport.

More in line with ANY sport - the higher you place, the more points you get!

Crazy concept to a lot on here, though...