British Speedway Forum
Bald Bloke

Ippo v Tigers 16/05/22

42 minutes ago, False dawn said:

Then I must be breaking the law.

I run a small business and having paid to register my business with the Information Commissioner's Office (ico) I can hold such information about my customers.

20 minutes ago, cowboy cookie returns? said:

No it doesn't along as the information is used & stored inline with the regulations.

Ok , I stand corrected on that, but one still has to look at the practicality if this type of marketing and not simply assume it will work. Someone has to administer it in a sport that is largely run by volunteers. I remember an article either on here or in a speedway Star years ago when Mick Bratley was involved with Peterborough. He did an enormous amount of legwork with flyers and special deals, reduced entries etc, including the large Polish community around Peterborough and little or nothing came of it, and Mick was far more committed than most. Then Rick Frost took over at Peterborough, on of the best Promoters of modern times, and a successful businessman who knew what he was doing. He spent a fortune but it was all down a black hole. 

Now I agree , that with the likes of the unimaginative Godfrey running the show the sport couldn’t be in a worse position but all these marketing ideas have been suggested and tried and tested and re-tried and re- tested over the years and not really worked. The absolute bottom line as far as I can see is that if the product is not right people won’t keep coming back and paying 20quid a time to see processional racing or even good racing unless it is there all or most of the time. Hence my comment earlier about Holder and Ward. To be fair what is there to keep a rider of even modest talent riding in the UK if he can earn more abroad?

It pains me to say this but times have changed, people have changed and entertainment has changed but speedway and indeed all stadium based entertainment ie stock cars and greyhounds has largely been left behind . There used to be 30 greyhound tracks in the London area, now there is one. What does that tell you ? 

Edited by E I Addio

I haven't read 100% of the comments on this Ipswich v Sheffield scenario......but a lack of crowd at the Foxhall stadium last night is mentioned.....

It appeared on TV shots that not many were indeed present.....What sort of intrigued me was when the riders lined up before Heat One for their introductions -  it looked like they were only being introduced to the Referee and Announcer.....there wasn't many more bodies around the starting gate area.  Is that always the case at Ipswich ?

I have been accustomed to being amongst low level crowds at Derwent Park and that caused the promotions to eventually shut down........let's hope it was only live TV syndrome last night?

12 hours ago, orion said:

Sudden Sam is the worst of time

Sam couldn't have put it better himself :lol:

• Haha 3

Like many may av already mentioned, only charge £10 or even less to attend a TV meeting.

Speedway IS a £10 sport anyways & it's been proven that the support is there if charged the appropriate admission.

Charge less &  more people will attend. Simple equation.

5 hours ago, Haza said:

Can we really wonder why fans stay away on tv nights ? Travel costs and admission - then all we hear daily  on the media cost of living crisis so if fans have access to Eurosport can any really wonder why fans stay at home and watch 

I understand that things are tight, and don't blame fans watching it at home to save a few quid. What makes me cringe is when the pan to the one man and his dog in the crowd several times, and  the "there's a good crowd in tonight" comment we usually get.  

They should plant some young uns together looking like they are having a good time, and only pan to them,, not a few 90 year old eating an egg and cress sandwich and doing knitting 

1 minute ago, Baldyman said:

They should plant some young uns together looking like they are having a good time, and only pan to them,, not a few 90 year old eating an egg and cress sandwich and doing knitting 

Hands off my egg and cress sandwich.

And it was crochet not knitting!!

• Haha 2

Didn’t Swindon once drop the price to £10 once for a televised match? If I recall it may even have been free entry for kids. The increased crowd looked great on tv and I think the gate money was around the same as for a usual meeting. 

In the current climate, free entry for kids has to be the way to go. How many families can’t afford a night out as a group because of childrens entry costs ?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, E I Addio said:

The Data Protection Act prevents you from holding those details.

My company makes millions from holding them...

Hence we send out coupons for what you buy, rather than what you dont...

All personal information given freely can be stored and used as long as that is made clear at the time the person gives you their details..

Hence my pizza and curry places send me Xmas Cards through the post....

Happy Xmas Mr Mike and Family.. :D

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, singy13 said:

I haven't read 100% of the comments on this Ipswich v Sheffield scenario......but a lack of crowd at the Foxhall stadium last night is mentioned.....

It appeared on TV shots that not many were indeed present.....What sort of intrigued me was when the riders lined up before Heat One for their introductions -  it looked like they were only being introduced to the Referee and Announcer.....there wasn't many more bodies around the starting gate area.  Is that always the case at Ipswich ?

I have been accustomed to being amongst low level crowds at Derwent Park and that caused the promotions to eventually shut down........let's hope it was only live TV syndrome last night?

Foxhall is vast (capacity about 11k) so looks sparse even for a normal healthy attendance of 1500-2000

The crowd last night even for a television match when lots stay away is the stuff of dreams for the majority of championship clubs. That is the fact that should be more concerning for the sport......

5 minutes ago, Jonny the spud said:

Didn’t Swindon once drop the price to £10 once for a televised match? If I recall it may even have been free entry for kids. The increased crowd looked great on tv and I think the gate money was around the same as for a usual meeting. 

In the current climate, free entry for kids has to be the way to go. How many families can’t afford a night out as a group because of childrens entry costs ?

Spot on...

The people you need to attract are the families who are not there now, therefore there is absolutely NO LOSS by reducing admission for them..

And if the odd "regulars" get a discount then "so what"? Call it a loyalty bonus...

Given the current climate what an opportunity Speedway has to market itself as a "value for money family night out"...

Two Adults and as many kids as you want to bring for a (max) £25 family ticket..

Charge no more than that because the real cost of the night will be around £50 to £60 when all are fed and watered..

I have never understood why tracks dont market EVERY meeting separately in its own right..

Most tracks would kill for another 200 punters each week but don't need the same 200 punters each week..

Therefore market every meeting as if it were a 'one off' stand alone event and see if 200 or more "extra punters" may be interested enough to attend...

A local visiting circus or fun fair will be better marketed than the local Speedway team..

1 hour ago, Jonny the spud said:

Ipswich is the only PL club to allow free admission to kids... which they should be applauded for.

• Like 4

Ipswich threw that meeting away last night with bad riding  (no team riding) & a bit of bad luck. Batchelor simply was not fit enough with his back injury he got last week. He could hardly walk when he got off of his bike after every race, so why was he put in heat 15, even thou there wasn't a lot to choose from.

Danny really needs to sort his bikes out, he just looks so slow and keeps trying the outside line and goes backwards. Starkey was a big miss last night.

Sheffield pulled a fast one with Harris replacing Holder, who everyone knows doesn't get on with the Ipswich track. Think he has missed more meetings at Ipswich than he has ridden in. Steady just laughed when on the parade lap when told he pulled a fast one and bring Holder with him next time. 

• Like 1

Just read also that Batch was suffering from illness last night, as well as struggling with his injury. Does beg the question why he was put in heat 15. Even if he put himself forward which would have been to his credit if he did, that should have been taken out of his hands. 

I don’t know why they don’t do more promotional offers for holidays times aswell for adults coming with kids, if it’s the school holidays it encourages the adults too bring them too something new if they get in half price or whatever. 

Ultimately there is lots of ways that promotions up and down the country could encourage new crowds, yes maybe it may be small gains or small losses but if the bigger picture is too get more people long term then with the current state of the sport now surely it’s worth a slight gamble?