British Speedway Forum
Bald Bloke

Ippo v Tigers 16/05/22

53 minutes ago, Bash said:

Ipswich threw that meeting away last night with bad riding  (no team riding) & a bit of bad luck. Batchelor simply was not fit enough with his back injury he got last week. He could hardly walk when he got off of his bike after every race, so why was he put in heat 15, even thou there wasn't a lot to choose from.

Danny really needs to sort his bikes out, he just looks so slow and keeps trying the outside line and goes backwards. Starkey was a big miss last night.

Sheffield pulled a fast one with Harris replacing Holder, who everyone knows doesn't get on with the Ipswich track. Think he has missed more meetings at Ipswich than he has ridden in. Steady just laughed when on the parade lap when told he pulled a fast one and bring Holder with him next time. 

Why would Danny keep trying the outside line if it isn't there and he keeps going backwards? 

3 hours ago, singy13 said:

I haven't read 100% of the comments on this Ipswich v Sheffield scenario......but a lack of crowd at the Foxhall stadium last night is mentioned.....

It appeared on TV shots that not many were indeed present.....What sort of intrigued me was when the riders lined up before Heat One for their introductions -  it looked like they were only being introduced to the Referee and Announcer.....there wasn't many more bodies around the starting gate area.  Is that always the case at Ipswich ?

I have been accustomed to being amongst low level crowds at Derwent Park and that caused the promotions to eventually shut down........let's hope it was only live TV syndrome last night?

The riders and several extra people lined up there to be able to have a minutes silence for Chris Ellis who died on Sunday,  before the meeting whilst the adverts were on.

51 minutes ago, Bash said:

Ipswich threw that meeting away last night with bad riding  (no team riding) & a bit of bad luck. Batchelor simply was not fit enough with his back injury he got last week. He could hardly walk when he got off of his bike after every race, so why was he put in heat 15, even thou there wasn't a lot to choose from.

Danny really needs to sort his bikes out, he just looks so slow and keeps trying the outside line and goes backwards. Starkey was a big miss last night.

Sheffield pulled a fast one with Harris replacing Holder, who everyone knows doesn't get on with the Ipswich track. Think he has missed more meetings at Ipswich than he has ridden in. Steady just laughed when on the parade lap when told he pulled a fast one and bring Holder with him next time. 

Batch definitely struggling,  however Danny was having treatment on his injured wrist,  so apart from Jason and Danyon, sadly batch was the only realistic option. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Badge said:

The riders and several extra people lined up there to be able to have a minutes silence for Chris Ellis who died on Sunday,  before the meeting whilst the adverts were on.

Yes I did think the ads interrupted the intros......and maybe they (TV producers) should have waited until fans/riders had paid respect for their sad loss?

RIP Chris,,,, she has given so much of her time to the club over many many years,,, she will be missed greatly.  My condolences to her family and friends

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

Why would Danny keep trying the outside line if it isn't there and he keeps going backwards? 

He did exactly the same against Peterborough a few weeks back when it was clear the outside line wasn’t working. Everyone was getting passed by riders hugging the kerb including King in his first couple of rides, but he continued staying on that outside line for the rest of the meeting and continued to get passed every time! He doesn’t seem to know any other way and it’s incredibly frustrating to watch. Even Worrall picked up on it straight away last night and criticised him for it. 

5 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

RIP Chris,,,, she has given so much of her time to the club over many many years,,, she will be missed greatly.  My condolences to her family and friends

Echo this too. Seemed such an approachable and lovely lady. RIP. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

He did exactly the same against Peterborough a few weeks back when it was clear the outside line wasn’t working. Everyone was getting passed by riders hugging the kerb including King in his first couple of rides, but he continued staying on that outside line for the rest of the meeting and continued to get passed every time! He doesn’t seem to know any other way and it’s incredibly frustrating to watch. Even Worrall picked up on it straight away last night and criticised him for it. 

Yeah we have watched him do it many many times,,, strange.  Being captain,, doesn't he ever go back into the pits and say we need water on the track,,, and if he does,, why doesn't anyone listen. 

54 minutes ago, Badge said:

Batch definitely struggling,  however Danny was having treatment on his injured wrist,  so apart from Jason and Danyon, sadly batch was the only realistic option. 

Maybe Riss but I always think its a risk putting a number 2 in heat 15 as its so long since their last programmed heat.

Did anyone else think Erik made sure he came third in heat 10 to prevent a Sheffield tactical? 

Still can’t believe we’ve put Riss at 2! Started the season as our best rider after Doyle but since being moved to 2 his form has dipped slightly. Winning races breeds confidence and you’re not gonna win too many when you’re in races with two number 1’s. 

Barker at 2 all day long for me. Put Riss back at 3 or 4 and strengthen the engine room again. On last night, Riss seemed to be having a few machinery issues so maybe that was a factor in not being in 15. 

• Like 2

What’s needed is about 20 NSS ( Belle Vue) but that’s not going to happen , we just have to make the best of what we have , aggressive marketing, have meetings when fans can attend , provide decent facilities, provide a good race track.

Get Chris Harris to guest.....I don’t know how the guy does it, maybe he’s making his money now for a retirement fund:blink:

D

Correct me if I'm wrong (or I didn't pay sufficient attenion) but don't think cameras showed the home stand last nite.  My point being when the YTV Trophy was filmed at Hull, Boulevard 1974-81 often few fans stood on the terracing at either end, while both stands on the straights were packed, so would give the impression hardly anyone was there.  Just sayin'....

Edited by martinmauger
spelling

15 hours ago, mikebv said:

Of course they should do...

As they should have done for a long, long time.. 

Two hours of free advertising for the sport so maybe they should at least try and make it look popular..?

Restaurants put you in the window tables early in the evening for a reason and that is to make their establishment look "popular"....

As they know that people are "sheep like" and easily led and influenced...

Speedway showcases itself with rows and rows and rows of empty seats..

A bit of a waste of a two hours advert I would suggest...

There isn't anywhere at Foxhall closer to the track that people want to be - you have to be high on the terracing to get a view over that Stock Car catch-fencing, and for some reason there are people who like to sit on ex-Olympic plastic seats very high up and a long way from the racing. Even with a decent attendance, Foxhall looks empty at ground level.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

Still can’t believe we’ve put Riss at 2! Started the season as our best rider after Doyle but since being moved to 2 his form has dipped slightly. Winning races breeds confidence and you’re not gonna win too many when you’re in races with two number 1’s. 

Barker at 2 all day long for me. Put Riss back at 3 or 4 and strengthen the engine room again. On last night, Riss seemed to be having a few machinery issues so maybe that was a factor in not being in 15. 

Just caught up with the TV coverage.  I think Batchelor and King need to be at 3 & 4 to get full comedy value - neither of them looked like they had ever seen Foxhall before.

Hawkins is an embarrassment - unable to communicate, and looks like he's been dressed at a jumble sale - there's no attempt to by speedway to educate people how to present themselves.

Just when we thought the Witches were turning a corner, they've reverted to type with a complete lack of focus and voom ...

4 minutes ago, Roger Jacobs said:

Just caught up with the TV coverage.  I think Batchelor and King need to be at 3 & 4 to get full comedy value - neither of them looked like they had ever seen Foxhall before.

Hawkins is an embarrassment - unable to communicate, and looks like he's been dressed at a jumble sale - there's no attempt to by speedway to educate people how to present themselves.

Just when we thought the Witches were turning a corner, they've reverted to type with a complete lack of focus and voom ...

Warning signs were there for King early in the season when he struggled in the opening weeks. But so far he’s continued in that vain and looks a shadow of the rider we saw last year. The team was built in the hope the riders on the perceived “false” average (Batch, Riss) would rediscover their former form and make us competitive. I think both will improve their averages, but we didn’t factor in others in the team then lowering theirs. We need King to rediscover last seasons form otherwise Doyle will have very little support at the top end. 

We’ve now got the best number 1 we’ve had for many years and arguably the best rider in the league currently, would be a shame to miss the opportunity to have a successful season while he’s here. 

• Like 1

At home I think Ritchie needs to go

1. Doyle
2. Barker
3. Batchelor
4. King
5. Riss
6. Starke
7. Hume/Rowe

Away from Home 

1. Doyle
2. Batchelor
3. King
4. Barker
5. Riss
6. Starke
7. Hume/Rowe

Would swap Riss/King at home if King rediscovers some form

But it is Sheffield and they have a very good top 5 and even when Musielak was having a poor meeting he still gated to win H14 when it mattered.