British Speedway Forum
ScunnyDan

20.05.22 - Scunthorpe v Newcastle (league, BSN)

1 minute ago, soupy said:

I was told it was rideable but not to race on.

At the end of the day it’s not like we are at the end of the season and have to get the meeting done there’s plenty more Fridays 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, iainb said:

Why would you check though? There was no real substantial rain forecast, it seems these days if you do decide to travel you must stop every 15 minutes to check it's not been cancelled on a whim

With British Weather why would you not check.If there was no substantial rain forecast what was the official reason for cancellation.?

3 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

With British Weather why would you not check.If there was no substantial rain forecast what was the official reason for cancellation.?

Scunny website said "Please note that, due to a deteriorating weather forecast for tonight, Scunthorpe v Newcastle has been postponed. No re-staging date as yet."

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, StevePark said:

Scunny website said "Please note that, due to a deteriorating weather forecast for tonight, Scunthorpe v Newcastle has been postponed. No re-staging date as yet."

Sounds like rain was expected .Don’t know people wouldn’t check weather or websites in this day and age.

6 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Sounds like rain was expected .Don’t know people wouldn’t check weather or websites in this day and age.

People do check, in fact i did check this forecast as i was going to watch it on BSN, i saw that showers were forecast and thought nothing more of it. 

As I've said there was no storm forecast or any prolonged rain. 

If the club want to call it off that early that's fine, I'll just mark them down as one of the many clubs not to bother to travel to anymore as they can't be relied on to get a meeting on

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, iainb said:

People do check, in fact i did check this forecast as i was going to watch it on BSN, i saw that showers were forecast and thought nothing more of it. 

As I've said there was no storm forecast or any prolonged rain. 

If the club want to call it off that early that's fine, I'll just mark them down as one of the many clubs not to bother to travel to anymore as they can't be relied on to get a meeting on

Rob can't control the weather they made the right decision by calling it off early or should they have waited until all the riders and supporters had arrived and then made the decision,its not difficult to check on social media it was posted on there early enough 

40 minutes ago, Ian68 said:

Rob can't control the weather they made the right decision by calling it off early or should they have waited until all the riders and supporters had arrived and then made the decision,its not difficult to check on social media it was posted on there early enough 

It's a tricky one isn't it... Rob (or any other promoter) can't control the weather of course, they can control if and when they postpone a meeting though. There should be some cut off time though as to when a decision is made, if they're going to continue to call meetings off based on weather forecasts, which seems to be the new normal. A lot of fans simply don't know where they stand and if or when to check.

I think a lot of fans can take an actual rain off while they're at the track or on their way, it goes with the territory of following a weather prone sport in Britain. What they can't take is a promotion deciding to call a meeting off on what may or may not happen at any given time.

If they said a meeting will not be called off after say 11am on the day of a meeting, based on a weather forecast, then everybody would know where they stood. If it actually did rain after that, enough to cancel a meeting, fair enough, that's life. But if a match starts, heaven and earth should be moved to ensure it finishes.

• Like 3

This forum is amazing at times. Scunny make the right decision in plenty of time to prevent people making a wasted journey, publicise it well... and yet people still find something to complain about.  The meeting was called off just before lunchtime - at around 11.45am.  By noon, the news of the call off was on social media, the club website and the BSPL website.

Scunthorpe make early decisions to avoid having to make late decisions and waste everyone's time. And it works.  I live over three hours away and yet I hardly ever end up at Scunthorpe for a rained off meeting.  You can trust Scunny, because by lunchtime, they'll decide they are going ahead and they then try their absolute hardest to go ahead and complete the meeting - Scunny v Poole was an example of this.  

Edited by lucifer sam
  • Like 6

I don't think the issue is were they right or wrong, it's when does a fan check and get a final decision on whether to travel or not? 11:52 apparently, if everybody knows it's 11:52, fair enough, call every match off... as long as we all know where we are

6 minutes ago, iainb said:

I don't think the issue is were they right or wrong, it's when does a fan check and get a final decision on whether to travel or not? 11:52 apparently, if everybody knows it's 11:52, fair enough, call every match off... as long as we all know where we are

They do.  With Scunny if it's called going to be called off, it depends slightly where the away fans/riders are coming from. For instance, for Sheffield, Rob Godfrey knew he didn't need to make a decision by around 2.30pm-3pm, whereas if it is Glasgow, Edinburgh or Plymouth, it will be first thing.  But if anyone checks before setting off, they will find the answer before they leave.  With Newcastle yesterday, it was off a good 2/3 hours before anyone needs to leave Newcastle to get to Scunny.

Edited by lucifer sam
  • Like 1

NEWCASTLE DIAMONDS v SCUNTHORPE SCORPIONS,,, SUN 22nd MAY 2022.

Please note that this fixture was postponed about a fortnight ago. Not sure if it has been on TV, wireless or in the national press,but if you do travel to the venue the funfair might still be there, so it's not a totally wasted trip/day out/whatever! :t:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, lucifer sam said:

With Newcastle yesterday, it was off a good 2/3 hours before anyone needs to leave Newcastle to get to Scunny.

Not necessarily,,, it would be dependent on which mode of transport you were using, it would take a while to pedal there!!!,,, but a do agree with your point.

20 minutes ago, lucifer sam said:

This forum is amazing at times. Scunny make the right decision in plenty of time to prevent people making a wasted journey, publicise it well... and yet people still find something to complain about.  The meeting was called off just before lunchtime - at around 11.45am.  By noon, the news of the call off was on social media, the club website and the BSPL website.

Scunthorpe make early decisions to avoid having to make late decisions and waste everyone's time. And it works.  I live over three hours away and yet I hardly ever end up at Scunthorpe for a rained off meeting.  You can trust Scunny, because by lunchtime, they'll decide they are going ahead and they then try their absolute hardest to go ahead and complete the meeting - Scunny v Poole was an example of this.  

With speedway having mostly an ageing fanbase social media ain't really summit they actually use or even know how to use, that's most of the problem, my parents are both in their early 80's and wouldn't have a clue about which websites to use for information, best they would do is ring the track and hope someone actually picks up the phone.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, lucifer sam said:

They do.  With Scunny if it's called going to be called off, it depends slightly where the away fans/riders are coming from. For instance, for Sheffield, Rob Godfrey knew he didn't need to make a decision by around 2.30pm-3pm, whereas if it is Glasgow, Edinburgh or Plymouth, it will be first thing.  But if anyone checks before setting off, they will find the answer before they leave.  With Newcastle yesterday, it was off a good 2/3 hours before anyone needs to leave Newcastle to get to Scunny.

yep, that's fine, now everybody knows that if you're travelling down from Newcastle to Scunthorpe (by car) that if you check their socials by 11:52 you know it's defintely going to be on unless it actually rains, at least we now know where we stand... 

14 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

NEWCASTLE DIAMONDS v SCUNTHORPE SCORPIONS,,, SUN 22nd MAY 2022.

Please note that this fixture was postponed about a fortnight ago. Not sure if it has been on TV, wireless or in the national press,but if you do travel to the venue the funfair might still be there, so it's not a totally wasted trip/day out/whatever! :t:

Well, is the fun fair there or isn't it? I ain't going all that way, only to find it has moved on!