British Speedway Forum
ScunnyDan

20.05.22 - Scunthorpe v Newcastle (league, BSN)

1 hour ago, marko said:

Sport making a rock for its back as usual, the more they keep calling meetings off because of a "what if" means when it really is raining and they are wanting to get the meeting on, no one turns up because they will not believe it.

Its like the boy who cried Wolf

Completely agree. This meeting should have gone ahead. I for one will not travel far any more because of this and certainly not plan in advance. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, OldtimerRay said:

Lovely weather and blue sky for the last half hour

Queue people coming on here telling you the promotion made exactly the right decision to cancel

6 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

Completely agree. This meeting should have gone ahead. I for one will not travel far any more because of this and certainly not plan in advance. 

It got called off at lunchtime, long before anyone sensible would have set off for the meeting, unless you are coming from outside the uk.....

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Diamondboy said:

It got called off at lunchtime, long before anyone sensible would have set off for the meeting, unless you are coming from outside the uk.....

Or making a day of it... and why would you even check so early on a bright and breezy spring day with a forecast only for isolated showers

• Thanks 1

Dammed if you do, dammed if you don’t.. we’ve had a few showers but nothing to really do any damage to the track, and had electrical issues at the track… it’s just one of them really

• Like 2

Maybe with the Newcastle side, with guests, looking like a decent match-up,,, the early decision was more in hope?

41 minutes ago, iainb said:

Or making a day of it... and why would you even check so early on a bright and breezy spring day with a forecast only for isolated showers

A would've thought, if you were making a day of it,,, it might be the first thing to check?

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

A would've thought, if you were making a day of it,,, it might be the first thing to check?

That's the thing though, it's a lottery these days, if there was a forecast of a storm sweeping the country or prolonged rain, you probably would have checked. There doesn't seem to be a general policy where the (travelling) fan knows what's what.

You can't be cancelling meetings in this country on the forecast of showers, they're so hit and miss. I'm afraid if a club were unfortunate enough to cop a shower, they should be busting a gut to get the meeting started and finished. 

Edited by iainb

1 hour ago, Tsunami said:

I take it you won't be picking up the bill for the travel and track medical staff, etc, if it was called off. Not to the mention of home/travelling fans wasting time and money to get to a non event. 

Not sure if it is already done, but probably key folk involved will get notification shortly after any decision is made?,,, would it be hard to text/msg all say season ticket holders, considering no.s and details are already held,,, with a generic msg too?,,, and they could/might inform they're friends, if they have any.

1 minute ago, ruffdiamond said:

Not sure if it is already done, but probably key folk involved will get notification shortly after any decision is made?,,, would it be hard to text/msg all say season ticket holders, considering no.s and details are already held,,, with a generic msg too?,,, and they could/might inform they're friends, if they have any.

Did Newcastle not run a service of this kind a few years back?

5 minutes ago, iainb said:

That's the thing though, it's a lottery these days, if there was a forecast of a storm sweeping the country or prolonged rain, you probably would have checked. There doesn't seem to be a general policy where the (travelling) fan knows what's what.

You can't be cancelling meetings in this country on the forecast of showers, they're so hit and miss. I'm afraid if a club were unfortunate enough to cop a shower, they should be busting a gut to get the meeting started and finished. 

Someone made the decision, correct or not,,, if folk didn't look out for any updates or news on the big day out, what more could be done?

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

Was thinking that myself, subscribe to some sort of messaging service. I had a similar situation a few years back while traveling from Leicester to Glasgow, the forecast was fine, the weather was lovely on the way up there, stopped for a wee just as i crossed the border into Scotland, thought I'd just check twitter and unbelievably it had been called off about 15 minutes after I'd left home!

8 minutes ago, iainb said:

Was thinking that myself, subscribe to some sort of messaging service. I had a similar situation a few years back while traveling from Leicester to Glasgow, the forecast was fine, the weather was lovely on the way up there, stopped for a wee just as i crossed the border into Scotland, thought I'd just check twitter and unbelievably it had been called off about 15 minutes after I'd left home!

It's a pity you didn't need a p!ss by the time you got to Donington services,,, might have saved you a great deal of time? ;)

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, StevePark said:

Did Newcastle not run a service of this kind a few years back?

??? Dunno.