British Speedway Forum
ScunnyDan

20.05.22 - Scunthorpe v Newcastle (league, BSN)

6 minutes ago, iainb said:

Well, is the fun fair there or isn't it? I ain't going all that way, only to find it has moved on!

Dunno, av never been there for about a fortnight ,,, but if you can hold your p!ss in till you get there, you'll find out. If it's not there and the toilets aren't open, just go behind the tree in the carpark! ;)

Edited by ruffdiamond
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

Dunno, av never been there for about a fortnight ,,, but if you can hold your p!ss in till you get there, you'll find out. If it's not there and the toilets aren't open, just go behind the tree in the carpark! ;)

I can hold my piss from Leicester to Scotland, no problem! Though it sounds like you couldn't get by Donnington services... maybe get your prostate checked?

2 hours ago, iainb said:

I don't think the issue is were they right or wrong, it's when does a fan check and get a final decision on whether to travel or not? 11:52 apparently, if everybody knows it's 11:52, fair enough, call every match off... as long as we all know where we are

I think in this day and age not checking the local weather forecast and the respective clubs website before leaving for a speedway meeting when travelling a distance is somewhat reckless and a chance that just isn’t worth taking.

Clubs who call meetings off on bad forecasts invariably do it to save everyone’s time and money including them on rent, expenses, riders officials etc and it works.

Not often I agree with a Scunthorpes press officer but I do on this occasion.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

I think in this day and age not checking the local weather forecast and the respective clubs website before leaving for a speedway meeting when travelling a distance is somewhat reckless and a chance that just isn’t worth taking.

Clubs who call meetings off on bad forecasts invariably do it to save everyone’s time and money including them on rent, expenses, riders officials etc and it works.

Not often I agree with a Scunthorpes press officer but I do on this occasion.

I agree... when do you check though? Once you're on the road it's difficult to keep checking, illegal in fact without continually stopping to check every 15 to 20 minutes if you're travelling alone.

Surely in 2022 the technology exists to message subscribed fans when a meeting is called off. A WhatsApp or Telegram group for example. 

There's obviously a need for something or fans wouldn't continue to turn up when a meeting has been cancelled hours beforehand

Edited by iainb
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, iainb said:

I agree... when do you check though? Once you're on the road it's difficult to keep checking, illegal in fact without continually stopping to check every 15 to 20 minutes if you're travelling alone.

Surely in 2022 the technology exists to message subscribed fans when a meeting is called off. A WhatsApp or Telegram group for example. 

There's obviously a need for something or fans wouldn't continue to turn up when a meeting has been cancelled hours beforehand

Or follow that club on Twitter, set the 'Notification' to ON and get a 'ping' on your mobile phone when the club put a message on Twitter with any weather updates/postponements. The 'notification' for the club is easily turned off when you don't need it.  Obviously don't look at the phone whilst driving!

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, iainb said:

Agree with this.....might be in Scunthorpe's interests to set something up starting with the folk who turned up last night so as not to lose some valuable customers. 

People will only check when they perceive a need to, if it’s a dry day you can’t blame people for assuming a meeting will be on.

If every track postponed a meeting because it might rain in the evening, we might as well not bother.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Once a meeting is confirmed to be off, British Speedway’s Twitter & Facebook always post about it pretty much immediately. You don’t have to be a member of Twitter to see it either just go to Twitter.com/SpeedwayGB 

57 minutes ago, StevePark said:

Or follow that club on Twitter, set the 'Notification' to ON and get a 'ping' on your mobile phone when the club put a message on Twitter with any weather updates/postponements. The 'notification' for the club is easily turned off when you don't need it.  Obviously don't look at the phone whilst driving!

Thanks... actually didn't know you could do that, perhaps this needs to be more widely communicated to fans... it does mean you get bombarded with all posts, suppose you could turn it on while you're travelling though... not sure what i do about Birmingham or Leicester though as they've blocked me :D

Edited by iainb

Ok so if its raining when i wake up check if its on. if its not raining then presume its on and set off.....also there are other reasons why meetings get called off..i am quessing these people who turned up would be in the older age bracket? they probably have no mobile or ipad etc,

8 minutes ago, Paul Johnson said:

Ok so if its raining when i wake up check if its on. if its not raining then presume its on and set off.....also there are other reasons why meetings get called off..i am quessing these people who turned up would be in the older age bracket? they probably have no mobile or ipad etc,

Like i posted earlier if the fanbase was 80% under 40's then haps they'd be up to speed with Facebook, Twitter and various club/speedway websites, but it's the other way round and the fanbase is probably 80% over 60/70's and the majority of them don't use social media or even know what it is or how to actually use it.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Paul Johnson said:

Ok so if its raining when i wake up check if its on. if its not raining then presume its on and set off.....

Not quite as cut and dried as that though is it... you'd obviously look at the forecast, in the good old days you may have looked at yesterday's forecast and thought, chance of showers, if they get one, unlucky, the track is going to ride heavy, not, i wonder if they'll call it off anytime between when i leave and when i get there even though there hasn't been any rain

Edited by iainb

3 minutes ago, kevin bass said:

Like i posted earlier if the fanbase was 80% under 40's then haps they'd be up to speed with Facebook, Twitter and various club/speedway websites, but it's the other way round and the fanbase is probably 80% over 60/70's and the majority of them don't use social media or even know what it is or how to actually use it.

and in the old days the clubs had someone on the phone at the track, looks dodgy then give them a ring to see if its still on

3 minutes ago, Paul Johnson said:

and in the old days the clubs had someone on the phone at the track, looks dodgy then give them a ring to see if its still on

Didn't really look that dodgy though earlier in the day yesterday

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Paul Johnson said:

Exactly, my local club Ipswich always had t phone manned certainly midday onwards and could just phone up for an update if the weather looked dodgy, not sure if it's the same these days coz i just check on here if i need to.